The Oscars 2013

Jimmy

So the Oscar nominations are out. I think it's broken the record for the oldest and youngest nominees in the Leading Actress category. A bunch of the front runners like Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln aren't out over here yet, and neither is Django and Les Mis comes out tomorrow. Kind of shocked to see De Niro and Weaver get nominations for Silver Linings Playbook. Sure they were good, but they really weren't Oscar performances. Silver Linings seemed to get a ton of nominations too which I'm not sure I agree with.

But yeah, here's the list and all that.

Picture

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flighttrans.gif?m=1207340914g

Best Actress
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Director
Michael Haneke, Amour
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Original Screenplay
Amour, Michael Haneke
Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino
Flight, John Gatins
Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty, Mark Boal

Best Adapted Screenplay
Argo, Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin,
Life of Pi, David Magee
Lincoln, Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell

Best Animated Feature:
Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

Best Cinematography
Anna Karenina, Seamus McGarvey

Django Unchained, Robert Richardson
Life of Pi, Claudio Miranda
Lincoln, Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall, Roger Deakins

Best Costume Design
Anna Karenina, Jacqueline Durran
Les Misérables, Paco Delgado
Lincoln, Joanna Johnston
Mirror Mirror, Eiko Ishioka
Snow White and the Huntsman, Colleen Atwood

Best Documentary Feature
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man

Best Documentary Short
Inocente
Kings Point
Mondays at Racine
Open Heart
Redemption

Best Film Editing
Argo, William Goldenberg
Life of Pi, Tim Squyres
Lincoln, Michael Kahn
Silver Linings Playbook, Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
Zero Dark Thirty, Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg

Best Foreign Language Film
Amour, Austria
Kon-Tiki, Norway
No, Chile
A Royal Affair, Denmark
War Witch, Canada

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Hitchcock, Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane
Les Misérables, Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

Best Original Score
Anna Karenina, Dario Marianelli
Argo, Alexandre Desplat
Life of Pi, Mychael Danna
Lincoln, John Williams
Skyfall, Thomas Newman

Best Original Song
“Before My Time” from Chasing Ice, music and lyric by J. Ralph
“Everybody Needs A Best Friend” from Ted, music by Walter Murphy; lyric by Seth MacFarlane
“Pi’s Lullaby” from Life of Pi, music by Mychael Danna; lyric by Bombay Jayashri
“Skyfall” from Skyfall, music and lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
“Suddenly” from Les Misérables, music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Best Production Design
Anna Karenina, Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, production Design: Dan Hennah; Set Decoration: Ra Vincent and Simon Bright
Les Misérables, Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
Life of Pi, Production Design: David Gropman; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Lincoln, Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

Best Animated Short
Adam and Dog
Fresh Guacamole
Head over Heels
Maggie Simpson in “The Longest Daycare”
Paperman

Best Live Action Short
Asad
Buzkashi Boys
Curfew
Death of a Shadow
Henry

Best Sound Editing
Argo, Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn
Django Unchained, Wylie Stateman
Life of Pi, Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
Skyfall, Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers
Zero Dark Thirty, Paul N.J. Ottosson

Best Sound Mixing
Argo, John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
Les Misérables, Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes
Life of Pi, Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin
Lincoln, Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins
Skyfall, Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

Best Visual Effects
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
Life of Pi, Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
The Avengers, Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
Prometheus, Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
Snow White and the Huntsman, Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson

The obligatory snubs that irritate me; The Master should be nominated for Best Picture and Best Score, and Samuel L. Jackson and Leo DiCaprio deserve the nomination more than Waltz (who was great, mind you). I would have taken Alan Arkin out for one of the two of them.

Really shocked that Ben Affleck and Kathryn Bigelow got snubbed too. What the fuck does Affleck have to do to get his first nomination? (SPOILER: Cancer or the holocaust.) That director field makes me think that Spielberg's going to win in a walk. He shouldn't.

Amour: Two old people in love. Or two old people that die. One of those two.

Quiet, you.

Also, had no idea The Master wasn't nominated for Best Picture, I'm genuinely really surprised. It just deserves to be there. A friend of mine is really annoyed Holy Motors didn't get a nomination for best foreign film. Also, surely Amour has to win that because it's also nominated for best picture?

After just watching Les Mis tonight, I don't give a fuck, I want it to win everything, so here's to Hugh Jackman winning Best Actor!

Also, fuck it, Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi sucked balls. What is this shit?

And if Wreck-It Ralph doesn't win Best Animation then I hate the Oscars.

Best Original Song might be interesting. Pretty sure it's a two-horse race between Skyfall and Les Miz. Could be an interesting reflection of where the Oscars are right now.

Ben Affleck got robbed in both categories. He wasn't going to winner Best Actor because that is going to Daniel Day-Lewis but he at least deserved a nomination. Argo was a great movie and I'm going to be sad because its going to get shut out of the major categories.

Here's predicting a Lincoln sweep in everything

Ben Affleck got robbed in both categories. He wasn't going to winner Best Actor because that is going to Daniel Day-Lewis but he at least deserved a nomination. Argo was a great movie and I'm going to be sad because its going to get shut out of the major categories.

Here's predicting a Lincoln sweep in everything

Yeah, Affleck getting snubbed is a joke.

I'm with you in Lincoln sweeping everything hopefully they'll be some surprises though.

I'm fine with Affleck not making it into Best Actor. I'd say Jamie Foxx should have made it in before him and he's not there either. But he absolutely should get Best Director. Did anyone predict nobody out of Affleck, Bigelow, and Tarantino not making it? That's nuts.

Lincoln is a good movie. Day-Lewis and Jones deserve Oscars, though personally I would want Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman to win over them because The Master is a movie 100% tailored to showcasing what amazing actors both are. I'm not looking forward to Sally Field winning one because I thought her performance was a little over the top.

Having just watched The Imposter, I'm very surprised that isn't up for Best Documentary. I'm going to watch a few of the ones that were nominated so I can have an informed opinion, but that was a really great doc. Also plan to watch Beast of a Southern Wild this week because, comes the Oscars, I would've liked to have seen all the films nominated for best picture.

I think any other year Phoenix would have it locked down, but I'm gonna guess Daniel Day Lewis is gonna take home the award. Hoffman should without a doubt win best supporting actor, though. I know I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but I can't imagine his performance being topped - he was just outstanding. There's no way Arkin or De Niro should've even been nominated, so I really think that one's a 3 way race, but I'm hoping Hoffman comes out on top.

Would like to see Emmanuelle Riva win best actress, too.

It's not hard to see why the powers that be deemed The Master unfit for best picture. Again, I haven't seen it, but just by the trailers and everyone's reactions to it, you can tell it's something typically would get nominated. Too many big players in the Scientology game wouldn't allow it. The Academy are full of out-of-touch milquetoast that are predictable in every way. That's why you can pretty much predict whether a movie is gonna get nominated or not despite the quality of the movie itself. Crash was a shit movie, and Crash won an Oscar. But the best part is that they love to throw a curve ball in there like Django Unchained to make you think otherwise. Django has no chance of winning with Lincoln, Life of Pi, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Argo, and Les Mis involved.

And to show how much I'm set apart by the Academy when looking at best picture...

Movies I'm Not Interested In Watching: Les Mis, Life of Pi, Amour, Beasts of The Southern Wild

That's more than 1/3 of the list already. Of the movies there I've seen are Argo, Lincoln, and Django Unchained. That's 2/3 of the list covered. I'll probably be watching the other two in the next couple of weeks.

But, yeah, I always turn to Ron Swanson during Oscar times.

I haven't seen several films as they're not released in the UK yet. Yet somehow they were all eligible for the BAFTA's. <_<

Argo was fantastic. Life of Pi was underwhelming. That's all I've seen to date.

Skyfall not getting a Best Film nod is BOLLOCKS. I'm also very surprised The Dark Knight Rises did not get a single mention, I thought it would pick up a couple of technical nominations.

Skyfall not getting a Best Film nod is BOLLOCKS. I'm also very surprised The Dark Knight Rises did not get a single mention, I thought it would pick up a couple of technical nominations.

To be honest I'm shocked at Skyfall actually getting five nominations. But as much as I do love the film, and do think it's brilliant, it's never going to get a best film nod is it? Havign said that I'm just glad The Dark Knight Rises isn't up for anything since I felt it was overwhelmingly disappointing. I know you haven't said it here, but it saddens me that so many peopel think it's a great film.

Skyfall is in no way Best Picture good. Not in the slightest. I could have gotten behind acting nominations for Javier Bardem or Judi Dench, but as far as major awards that's about it. I hope the Adele song wins, though.

Skyfall is in no way Best Picture good. Not in the slightest. I could have gotten behind acting nominations for Javier Bardem or Judi Dench, but as far as major awards that's about it. I hope the Adele song wins, though.

I think Javier Bardem is indeed a huge oversight.