Top 10 PC Games of All Time!

DJ Ice

You made an "of all time" list and no real love for Doom and Wolfenstein which helped bring about 3d gaming, Kings quest which introduced use to main stream graphical gaming and Zork, the all time text based waster.

Christ I am old.

But Mick's list is pretty damn good, because I played the FUCK outta pirates.

1. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (NO ONE mentioned this game!? For shame.)

2. Diablo

3. The Sims 1/2/3

4. Half-Life 2

5. Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal

6. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

7. Minecraft

8. Monkey Island

9. Portal

10. TEW/WMMA

Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire were fantastic games, however, when I was making my list, I was considering not just personal enjoyment but what the overall legacy of the game was. AC was essentially a retooled Civ 2 (not that there's anything wrong with that), and I still love the game, but it wasn't quite as influential as Civilization 2 was.

As far as Pirates!, goddamn, I was never much of a fan of the 2004 version (it was still good, don't get me wrong), but my entire family was hooked on the Genesis and PC versions of Pirates! Gold.

What I loved was, that in spite of it's name, being a privateer for England, France or Holland and just raping the piss out of Spain was so incredibly fun, like sailing into a town and seeing both the Treasure Fleet and Silver Train, or recognizing that crappy piece of the map for the Incan treasure as something very easy to find.

1. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (NO ONE mentioned this game!? For shame.)

2. Diablo

3. The Sims 1/2/3

4. Half-Life 2

5. Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Baal

6. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

7. Minecraft

8. Monkey Island

9. Portal

10. TEW/WMMA

Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire were fantastic games, however, when I was making my list, I was considering not just personal enjoyment but what the overall legacy of the game was. AC was essentially a retooled Civ 2 (not that there's anything wrong with that), and I still love the game, but it wasn't quite as influential as Civilization 2 was.

As far as Pirates!, goddamn, I was never much of a fan of the 2004 version (it was still good, don't get me wrong), but my entire family was hooked on the Genesis and PC versions of Pirates! Gold.

What I loved was, that in spite of it's name, being a privateer for England, France or Holland and just raping the piss out of Spain was so incredibly fun, like sailing into a town and seeing both the Treasure Fleet and Silver Train, or recognizing that crappy piece of the map for the Incan treasure as something very easy to find.

I was being facetious with my "for shame" comment, but I can definetily agree with Civ2 being FAR more influential than Alpha Centauri. But, good lord, did I play the ever-loving shit out of AC. I played the game so much my computer(s) wouldn't read the disc anymore and I had to buy another copy.

1. Football Manager

2. The Sims 2

3. WMMA3

4. Zoo Tycoon

5. GTA San Andreas

6. Sims 3

7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

8. Rollercoaster Tycoon

9. EA Sports Cricket 2004

10. Civilisation 5

Couldn't pick a specific FM game, 05, 06, 08, 10 and 12 were all awesome. 11 and 13 pretty decent, 09 less so. Pretty sure that I've forgotten one of my favorites though.

• 4 weeks later...

It's amazing how so many people have sports games taking up the majority of their lists, consoles have just never managed to get any foothold on sport simulation games and I doubt they ever will.

On that theme...

1. Championship Manager 97/98

2. International Cricket Captain 2006

3. Grand Prix 3

4. Football Manager 2005

5. WMMA 3

6. EWR 4.2

7. Championship Manager 3

8. International Cricket Captain 2012

9. WMMA

10. Grand Prix 2

I still remember the first three games I owned for my first PC - Championship Manager 96/97, Grand Prix 2 and Gizmos and Gadgets.