Bioshock: Infinite

NM!

Amazing. I struggled at first, since I spoiled myself before the game, but I still didn't see the final twist coming.

Gotta play this again in 1999 mode.

Rarely is there a game that keeps me awake deep into the night in order to beat it anymore. This game just did. Fantastic from start to finish. Collected all the voxophones, sightseers, and infusions. Plenty of difficulty-related and combat trophies to collect still, and I expect to play through the game again in the future once the DLC is getting released.

As for the ending... wow.

The "hint" is right there in the title. Booker is set in what amounts to an infinite loop in his search. I don't know about that Forbes article, there are parallels but that doesn't mean they are the same person. An infinite number of people can be going on an infinite number of loops through the universe. How this infinite universe came to be though? That's the real question that we're left with. Where did this world of lighthouses come from? And I think that's going to be the thread tying the future installments of this series together. At least that's what I believe.

And after-credits

I have trouble with this tying into the infinity idea. Only thing that is on my mind is that it's to show that the beginning is also the end. It's a nice touch at the end, but I think it symbolizes less than we would initially believe.

They aren't the same exact guy, but they represent the same type of person. Each world has a man, a city and a lighthouse. In Infinite it's Comstock and Columbia, in Bioshock 1, it's Ryan and Rapture.

I thought it was a bit odd that they packaged Bioshock 1 alongside this, but after seeing all of the ending, it was a very nice hint.

Someone keeps telling me they've been hearing a lot of bad reviews on this game.

I want to find these bad reviewers and slap them. Hard. This game was so utterly brilliant that its appalling to me, to hear people don't like it.

I expect part of that negativity stems from the kind of backlash almost every highly regarded game receives after a while. With everyone being told how good the game apparently is, there will inevitably be a pocket of vociferous players who feel the need to condemn it as an inferior version of whatever obscure game they prefer if they aren't completely blown away by said acclaimed title. Good reviews tend to turn games into bigger targets for negative reviews, much like in every other medium.

I'll readily acknowledge that Bioshock: Infinite isn't perfect, but it's such a memorable and engaging overall package that none of its minor flaws bothered me. For others, though, these same flaws will form the crux of their argument as to why the game is some kind of abomination that only unseasoned Philistines can enjoy.

I think the majority of bad reviews are to do with the dumbed down combat and less exploration than the previous Bioshock titles. Sure, the story is fantastic, but I think if you really look at the combat and exploration and compare it to the first two Bioshock games, it's not hard to see that it's a lot less in depth. There's a lot less mini-games, variety of weapons, the tonics aren't quite as interesting, the upgrades aren't really worth it. And then you look at the original Bioshock, there was a lot more wondering around. Which, I didn't really like, but I'm sure some did and wouldn't appreciate it not being present.

It's a fucking great game, but let's not pretend like it's without flaw.

It's definitely not without its flaws. There should have been more puzzles. The upgrades weren't really needed. Most of the weapons were quite shit and you probably rarely used (I went with the machine gun/volley gun combo most of the time). The AI is okay but not amazing. There's no stealth element in the game even though you can crouch and shit. The game was super pretty but they didn't bother with faces, you'd see the same guy multiple times in the city. I used the fire and shock tonics most of the time, the others I didn't find quite as useful or effective in combat, so basically same gripe as with weapons. The list goes on...

Still a fantastic game though :D

Yeah. I think it's going to hurt the game on repeat plays, it's not like the first Bioshock where there's a ton of fun stuff to do and different ways to play the game. This one's a lot more about the story and getting to that end point.

I can agree that the combat isn't stellar, and I don't begrudge anyone's right to dislike certain parts of the game because of it. What's most irritating, though, is when people who don't love highly lauded games feel the need to bellow their disagreement with what the perceive to be the general consensus from the rooftops. If a game isn't particularly well known or receives a handful of fairly average reviews, nobody really cares, but when these people don't like a popular game, they make sure to tell the whole world about their edgy, non-conformist opinions at every opportunity they get.

As I said before, though, the same thing happens in every form of popular media. Unfortunately, it's in the gaming community that it seems to be the most prevalent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...