Bioshock: Infinite

NM!

Because games met with almost universal praise at launch are always the subject of dozens of "Am I the only one who thinks this is really overrated?" topics on message boards all around the internet. It's also a sequel, so expect to see plenty of declarations that Infinite is no match for its spiritual predecessor.

It's just part and parcel of the online cynicism that meets most well-regarded video games. GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2 and Skyrim are recent examples that come to mind.

I felt that way too, actually. Part of me didn't want to finish it, but I was more intent on getting it done so as to avoid spoilers (which I fell foul of before finishing the first Bioshock). Now, though, I'm looking forward to playing through it again to pick up on the smaller nuances I missed the first time round.

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds similar to the way in which Bioshock's main plot twist was spoiled for me. I was browsing a completely unrelated forum and someone blurted it out out of nowhere. I still really enjoyed the game, but I would have much preferred to see things unfold for myself.

Because games met with almost universal praise at launch are always the subject of dozens of "Am I the only one who thinks this is really overrated?" topics on message boards all around the internet. It's also a sequel, so expect to see plenty of declarations that Infinite is no match for its spiritual predecessor.

It's just part and parcel of the online cynicism that meets most well-regarded video games. GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2 and Skyrim are recent examples that come to mind.

All of those games apart from GTA IV were better than the previous games, though. So those people can go to hell. >_>

All of those games apart from GTA IV were better than the previous games, though. So those people can go to hell. >_>

I'll agree with that, although Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't my personal favourite in the series. It's still grand, though.

I'll agree with that, although Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't my personal favourite in the series. It's still grand, though.

I'd argue that 4 really masters the gameplay, whilst 3 definitely holds up in terms of story. If you go back and play 3, the gameplay is a lot worse than you might remember. Most notably, controlling the weapons. It's hard to go back to that after all the perfected third person systems we've played by now. I love the story of 3, but I do think that 4 being the culmination, it tops it for me. Just so many incredible moments.

I honestly don't think I'll ever find a more memorable scene in video games than the microwave corridor scene. Just, holy shit.

HOLY FUCK.

Holy... just.. whaaaat?

Nevermind that it was spoiled for me - I was told essentially what the ending was, who was actually who. But holy fuck anyways. When I showed up in Rapture.. that was all kinds of fucked. I'm going to need to do some reading up to fully figure out what was going on. But bravo. Bravo indeed... this was absolutely mindblowing.

I'd say that was a good 20 hours for me. Well worth it.

I think I might have missed a voxophone. Normally not fussed about collectibles, but these really add to the story. I know they're less inclined to put them where there are big fights, but in the area just before Comstock's house, I seem to have fewer than I'd expect to find. I know there's a chapter select option, can I go back after I've finished, and if so will there just be the ones missing that are visible, or will everything be back in its original spot?

Just finished it.

Or rather should I say I finished it about an hour ago and I've just been sitting in stunned silence for a while.

Seriously, this game is the greatest of things.

Ending Spoilers:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/03/29/the-one-twist-in-bioshock-infinite-you-might-have-missed-completely/

Mind blowing. Seriously.

On this

I believe that article is exactly right. There's enough in the game to confirm it, especially when she comments about how every world has a light house, a city, a man and a girl. Columbia is Rapture in a different universe, and you can assume there's a million other wondrous cities in a million other wondrous locations. So of course, my favorite part of the article is where people completely disagree with it and choose to ignore the really obvious parallels, instead deciding Rapture and Columbia exist in the same world at the same time.

Just finished it.

Or rather should I say I finished it about an hour ago and I've just been sitting in stunned silence for a while.

Seriously, this game is the greatest of things.

Ending Spoilers:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/03/29/the-one-twist-in-bioshock-infinite-you-might-have-missed-completely/

Mind blowing. Seriously.

On this

I believe that article is exactly right. There's enough in the game to confirm it, especially when she comments about how every world has a light house, a city, a man and a girl. Columbia is Rapture in a different universe, and you can assume there's a million other wondrous cities in a million other wondrous locations. So of course, my favorite part of the article is where people completely disagree with it and choose to ignore the really obvious parallels, instead deciding Rapture and Columbia exist in the same world at the same time.

So far the thing that I look back and go "holy shit" about after thinking it over a while...

Booker basically went through the whole "trying to save Elizabeth" thing about a hundred times before this finally happened properly, as evidenced by the Heads/Tails segment at the very start... which also sets up that some points in time are fixed (Booker would always get heads on the flip, for instance)