NCAA 14 Thread

HailtotheYo

If 2k had an agreement with the NCAA, all they would be able to use is the NCAA name and logo, they'd still need an agreement with the CLC or to make arrangements with individual schools. I'm not 2k are interested in expanding their portfolio right now, given that they've already shuttered NHL and I believe this year's MLB is their last. I guess you could make the argument that closing those down frees them up to pursue the NFL or NCAA, but still. Assuming there's nothing close to being in place yet, they'd have a whole lot of work to get something out for next year, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Again, I know that. My point is that if 2K can negotiate with the CLC because there's no exclusivity clause in their contract(s) with EA Sports (if that is indeed the case), then having the NCAA license will help sell the game because of brand recognition.

I mean, I know they got it on the cheap but them getting the WWE series kinda shows they're not content with just the NBA game. Plus I'd argue that an NCAA football game would probably outsell their NHL and MLB games combined anyways.

I'm basically just wishing and hoping that it opens the door for 2K to do football games again because at the very least, it'll give EA competition and force them to not be content to rest on their laurels.

If 2k had an agreement with the NCAA, all they would be able to use is the NCAA name and logo, they'd still need an agreement with the CLC or to make arrangements with individual schools. I'm not 2k are interested in expanding their portfolio right now, given that they've already shuttered NHL and I believe this year's MLB is their last. I guess you could make the argument that closing those down frees them up to pursue the NFL or NCAA, but still. Assuming there's nothing close to being in place yet, they'd have a whole lot of work to get something out for next year, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Again, I know that. My point is that if 2K can negotiate with the CLC because there's no exclusivity clause in their contract(s) with EA Sports (if that is indeed the case), then having the NCAA license will help sell the game because of brand recognition.

I mean, I know they got it on the cheap but them getting the WWE series kinda shows they're not content with just the NBA game. Plus I'd argue that an NCAA football game would probably outsell their NHL and MLB games combined anyways.

I'm basically just wishing and hoping that it opens the door for 2K to do football games again because at the very least, it'll give EA competition and force them to not be content to rest on their laurels.

My bad, that's not how it read. The only thing I found was an article from 2005, but it was indeed an exclusive agreement, for six years. Presumably that stayed the same when they re-upped. I know a lot of people give EA shit for the exclusive licence thing, but it was actually the NFL that started it. They wanted singular exclusives for everything, hence why Reebok became the official kit supplier, forcing out Nike, Wilson, Starter etc. at the turn of the century.

The article I quoted had a link to another that gave this info on the CLC/EA relationship:

"The Collegiate Licensing Company, which manages the trademarks of the majority of the colleges in Electronic Arts' NCAA football video game, said Wednesday it would continue to work with the video game maker for future editions of the franchise."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/ea-holds-license-for-non-exclusive-college-football-games-for-th/

CLC extends with EA for 3 years, it's non-exclusive.

Again, with how the last CFB game they produced plus the reason we don't have College Hoops anymore, I doubt 2K jumps in.

I imagine 2k wouldn't be too keen on jumping feet-first into the college football market until the player likeness thing goes away.

Yeah, considering that this year's edition prior to the lawsuits getting even remotely serious was being seen as a last chance to boost sagging sales, the market itself seems to be shrinking while the cost of production has risen exponentially. Not to mention, I feel like 2K has been sort of burned by their past negotiation tactics, namely overpaying for MLB coupled with not making a football game for the past several years. It's an awful lot to start at the ground floor with a license these days. I don't think they take that risk at all.

Even after being promoted from OC to HC I find myself still summing defense and only playing offense because of how awful I am at it. Anyone else having more difficulty this year on the defensive side?

I kinda think it depends on how leveled up your DC is. Once you get his stats upgraded, it follows logically that your defense will get better.

Of course once he gets good he'll get signed to coach somewhere else in the offseason and you'll have to start all over again. Happened three years in a row in my Nebraska dynasty.

• 2 weeks later...