Underrated albums

METALMAN

This is always an interesting one.

I'd just been listening to Ram by Paul McCartney, cause I got a hold of the reissue with the Another Day single and a few more bits and bobs.

And...wow. I mean I'd always thought it was a decent enough, if a tad lightweight, pop album. As seems to be general consensus of course.

It's much more of that. There isn't a weak song on the album. There's a variety of styles, and it is packed with hooks. Some bullshitter from Pitchfork or some other slubberdegullion publication said that it prefigured the likes of Neutral Milk Hotel and their lo-fi escapades in the 90s and 2000s. And I suppose they have a point, except Ram is much better.

I think it is probably the best Beatles solo album.

Yours?

Everything by Nick Drake and Tim Buckley's first 7 albums for a start.

Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom (gorgeous, melodic, jazzy, weirdy perfection. Ideal for fans of Caravan, Roxy Music and obviously Soft Machine.)

Everything by a rapper called Milo. The most underrated rap artist today. (Intellectual stuff mixed with nerdy references. Not about killing people and bitches etc.)

Lloyd Cole and The Commotions - Rattlesnakes (it's like Prefab Sprout and The Smiths, but better and with more namedropping!)

While we're talking about Pink Floyd, I've always felt Meddle has never been given the recognition it deserves. That's a really good fucking album. Maybe it's because that was the first album I heard by them, but I don't know... it's still one of the best, to me anyway.

Victiminpain.JPG

Some songs where AF verbally smacked down fans who thought they were racists, sing a long choruses, and Raybeez, who would go on to front another iconic NYHC band Warzone on drums...yea..Victim In Pain is a hell of an album

Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding. Might just be my affinity for Westerns/country (more vibes than actual country music as produced, which tends to be too sweet and poppy for my taste), but I think this is Dylan's best out of everything I've heard. Also think his "All Along the Watchtower" is a lot more genuine than the Jimi cover, like a personal tale as opposed to a bombastic arena-filling rocker.

Vivian Girls' Share the Joy did not get nearly enough love and was a nice progression of that sort of limiting girl garage punk sound. I liked the longer songs.

I don't know if fans view it this way, but I remember really loving Dirty Projectors' Swing Lo Magellan. Kind of funny that the album came out after a song from their last album gained them their most mainstream prominence to date.

%5BAllCDCovers%5D_social_distortion_whit

Probably the best Social D album but never seems to get the recognition it deserves.

The best? No..but definately a classic Social D album. So many great songs on it

Edit: Actually no...I listened through it entirely tonight for the first time in a long time. Yes...while Sex, Love and Rock & Roll is up there, this is probably the best Social D album

I always thought St Anger was underrated. It's not Metallicas best album by any stretch of the imagination but its not their worst.

Okay, just have to ask this: If its not their worst album, which one is? Death Magnetic?

While we're talking about Pink Floyd, I've always felt Meddle has never been given the recognition it deserves. That's a really good fucking album. Maybe it's because that was the first album I heard by them, but I don't know... it's still one of the best, to me anyway.

That's my favorite Floyd album. "Echoes" is THE Pink Floyd song in my eyes.

Anyway, apparently there are Morrissey fans who don't like Kill Uncle. Those people are all wrong.