MTV VMAs

tristy

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Polyphonic Spree is their name, and they are getting big on the adult contemporary charts. Rumors are is that they are all one big cult, heh heh, makes me laugh. Anyway, here is their profile:

Dallas symphonic pop group the Polyphonic Spree is less a band than a happening, in the 1960s sense of the word. When the group takes to the stage for a live performance, its two dozen members are costumed in flowing robes of snowy white, an appropriate backdrop for their happy and uplifting musical message that's catchy pop minimally laced by gospel. Fans have compared them to both the Flaming Lips and the Beach Boys, with a smidgen of lively Godspell-like attitude thrown into the mix. The Polyphonic Spree was founded by Tim DeLaughter, who led Tripping Daisy until 1999 when a drug overdose killed his bandmate, guitar player Wes Berggren. Tripping Daisy folded, and DeLaughter and the other surviving members of the group pulled together as the Polyphonic Spree with the addition of about 20 more members. They put together a demo titled The Beginning Stages of...The Polyphonic Spree and distributed it to fans during a holiday performance. An indie label, Good Records out of Dallas, later issued the release. The group boasts a ten-member choir, a pair of keyboardists, as well as a percussionist, bassist, guitarist, flautist, trumpeter, trombonist, violist, a French horn player, a theremin player, and an electronic effects wizard. DeLaughter holds the post of musical director and contributes lead vocals. Road tours require more than a dozen full-sized vans, but the band's spectacular shows in intimate clubs and gigs as big as 2003's Reading Festival, and their single "Follow the Day" was featured in Volkswagen commercials and on the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack, earning the Polyphonic Spree even more exposure. Their proper first album Together We're Heavy was co-released by Good Records and Hollywood Records in summer 2004. ~ Linda Seida, All Music Guide

It doesn't mean they aren't talented. It's just another way of expressing.

Kind of like when you first start playing guitar and play a bunch of goofy shit that is incoherent to 99.5% of the human population?

Which is why, for some ungodly reason, the first things I learned on my guitars were the Red Dwarf and Seinfeld themes. Go figure.

For the record, Outkast's performance at the end blew. I couldn't even tell Outkast was performing half the time, since I had "CHOOSE OR LOSE" shoved in my face eight billion times. They may as well have sent red, white, and blue ninjas to my house so that they could patriotic-ninja-star me to death....

...all while singing "Prototype". Damn that song's badass.

Outkast deserved Video Of The Year, regardless of where tastes lie. It was the first video since Tool's "Aenima" that made me legitimately curious as to how it was done.

The Polyphonic Spree are fun to watch. I'll never buy a CD from 'em as long as I live, nor buy a ticket to one of their shows, but I have no qualms if I were to just happen across a random P.S. show.

As for the Stevie performance, it wasn't bad, but if they wanted proper representation, you must have the Chili Peppers present. They've busted out the best modern version of that you're going to hear.

The VMA's this year was ok, nothing special(thats not surprising). We had some good live performances, Jessica Simpson(yes, I like her) did great, Kanye West had the best Performance of the night, Alicia Keys did great(Great Talent) and OutKast were great as usual, too bad I had to see Vote all over my TV during the performance which kind of ruined it.

Which is why, for some ungodly reason, the first things I learned on my guitars were the Red Dwarf and Seinfeld themes. Go figure.

And I learned Twinkle Little Star. Of course before, during, and after I was playing shit that was pretty incoherent, and unless you're some musical prodigy/god, you did too.

By no means do I want to sound elitist, but I had both down fairly well within about an hour of finding the tab. While I'm great at picking and some lead playing, my chord progressing could use a lot of work.

And no, Psi, it was regular video feed.

Guest Bluesman

I thought that you meant that you did them by ear, that you "found" them while playing. My mistake. If you haven't found one yet, get a copy of the circle of fifths. It'll help you alot.

They got really far about the voting stuff. In any case, though, Outkast was awesome and easily the band of the night

(Prototype > any song nominated or performed that night).

Hmm, I liked the lead singer of the Flaming Lips and The Polyphonic Spree performing was good, too. All in all, it was decent though if they could lure Chappelle to be the host, it would've been better.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

I don't think I can take reading through 12 pages about the MTV awards but I saw Chapelles bit (which was really lame) but he cracked me up at the end when he said something like "Wow you people like everything don't you?" and there was dead silence. Comedic gold.

Edited by cthemason

The only thing that really stood out in my mind is that Beyonce looked really slutty. I mean, I can't think of anyone who really came off cheaper than her. It annoys me that she once said (and maybe still says) that she doesn't like to use sex to sell her music.. shyeah.. right...

Well UK showed it last night so I taped and finally watched it earlier today so here's my thoughts:

No Doubt are still ruling everyone. Really happy to see them pick up an award.

Kanye West was pretty damn good. I still cant say I'm like a huge fan of his, but he was pretty good on stage.

Diddy/Mase are still ruling the world I'd just like to say. Can you get any better than Diddy? Nope. Really happy to see both of them at the awards and Diddy/Bruce Willis = Ratings :)

As soon as the performance from Alicia/Stevie was over I knew it was a show stealer. Couldn't care what anyone says, it was a amazing performance and Alicia is just brilliant.

Seeing Tony Hawk was great, and I was super pleased when he took Bam up on stage as I'm a huge Bam fan :P . Really classy seeing him Skateboard on stage, so that was so show stealer number II for me :)

Outkast I'm pretty much sick of. They could retire tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me. I desperatly wanted Brittney to take the best video award, but meh. Jay Z is still cool, nice to see him get a little video package thingy.

Jessica Simpson? Well I though she was alright in the first song, then what does she go do? The complete fool TRIES to rip off a fucking Robbie Williams song, what is she dumb? I mean even when Robbie sung it, it was only an average song and he's overall a great singer, so how the hell could she make the song anything good? She's a fool for even trying to perform it and she did it awfuly as well. Either way she's still a nice girl :P

Yellowcard? Ermmm yeah that song they were doing seems alright, but err yeah they still suck. It was good to see Linkin Park FINALLY get an award towards the end of the show. Gwyneth Paltrow awarding one of the awards was cool to see.

I've most probably missed out quite a lot, but that's the main stuff I can remember. Overall a good show with a pretty much shit ending.

Ok yea, I know this topic is somewhat old...kind of, but I'm seeing the first half of the VMAs for teh first time, and all that comes to mind is like...What?? To all the people that were talking about how really the only good performance..on the best performance or whatever was Kanye West..now I'm a fan, but seriously, even though I know many of you all 'hate mainstream' or something like that..Usher had a better performance then Kanye West...

Even his 'special appearance' of Shaka Kahn was horrible..because she just sounded bad...

Ok yea, I know this topic is somewhat old...kind of, but I'm seeing the first half of the VMAs for teh first time, and all that comes to mind is like...What?? To all the people that were talking about how really the only good performance..on the best performance or whatever was Kanye West..now I'm a fan, but seriously, even though I know many of you all 'hate mainstream' or something like that..Usher had a better performance then Kanye West...

Even his 'special appearance' of Shaka Kahn was horrible..because she just sounded bad...