The Tekken Thread

Benji

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HG's just jealous that Tekken gets love while Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter doesn't, I bet.

Either that, or he's been pwned by cheap bastards (and this has nothing to do with X-Play. *grin*) using Paul and doing the Deathfist attack a few times too many.

Ermm, personally, having played through to 4 (admittedly, not playing any later than that, because I kinda ran my patience with the game a littl), I didn't feel any empathy with any of the core characters (...aside from Yoshimitsu).

The characters just don't have anything, to me, on the core characters of Street Fighter or to a lesser extent (much lesser) Mortal Kombat.

I feel the same lack of empathy about Dead or Alive, even though the actual fighting product was pretty much always better to me.

I remember when Tekken came out, and I first got my Playstation, I loved the game. Tekken 2 was the pinnacle, and then...I dunno, it was just pretty much the same recycled game. I know a lot of sequels get that kinda treatment, but yeah, Tekken just wasn't really as interesting anymore for me.

Edited by HGwannabe

I don't how you could say after two that its the same old recycled game. Game play wise, in each tekken following 2, new features were added that added depth and strategy to the game (tech rolls and tech traps from 3, wall push and wall comboes in 4, tag in TTT, crush system in t5 etc). The tekken series continues to add new features to itself that keep adding to the overall fun and depth of the series.

I don't how you could say after two that its the same old recycled game. Game play wise, in each tekken following 2, new features were added that added depth and strategy to the game (tech rolls and tech traps from 3, wall push and wall comboes in 4, tag in TTT, crush system in t5 etc). The tekken series continues to add new features to itself that keep adding to the overall fun and depth of the series.

I know there are little things added, and it isn't just the same old game recycled, but since I'm not as in to fighting games as some people are, little things like wall push and wall combos don't really mean fuck all to me. It's just a preference thing.

One reason I can see why people don't get that deep into fighting games is because you pretty much have to buy or build a joystick controller to play most of them on home gaming systems. I used to own people bigtime in the arcades using King and destroying them with ground grapples and chain combos. But its damn impossible to do them with a non-joystick controller. I can barely ever get off a Figure 4 Leglock vs. the AI or another person, let alone the bigtime wrestling move combos. So I've been using Yoshimitsu as my main fighter. (No big deal, though, because Yoshi was my second favorite fighter to use in the first place)

I won't even mention how hard it is do the more complex combos in the Tekken and Mortal Kombat games without a joystick.

I know there are little things added, and it isn't just the same old game recycled, but since I'm not as in to fighting games as some people are, little things like wall push and wall combos don't really mean fuck all to me. It's just a preference thing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though I admit, I wish they'd add in a lot more mini-games and alternate endings and the such.

I like the idea of alternate endings but I don't feel that more mini-games are necessary. Why do you buy tekken games? to play mini-games or to actually play tekken? Sure mini-games are mildly entertaining when you want a break from the straight up fighting but I'd rather more effort be spent in developing the actual game (gameplay, balance issues, new characters etc) rather than have more mini-games.

I buy a game to get the most out of it I can, I didn't mean mini-games though, that was bad term, I meant different modes, like why do they have to all out remove the tag option in the main series? It was an excellent touch. I also thoroughly enjoyed ball and, to some extent, bowl mode. Still, as I said, I'd prefer alternate endings, that way you're kept guessing and Heihachi wouldn't have to have had a shit ending that clearly didn't happen and Paul could actually be considered a threat again storylinewise rather than the joke he's become.

So what I gather is that you are more of the casual player of Tekken rather then a hardcore tekken player. Which would explain you dismissing the things I mentioned as 'little things'. (Note: I am not saying there is anything wrong with being a casual player, I am just remarking on how casual players of tekken take the new additions for granted).

I'm casual now, but I wouldn't say I was back in the day, as as I stated, I was a huge Tekken and Tekken 2 fan. I just think as I've got older, I've lost my love for fighting games on the whole somewhat. The little changes may mean a lot to hardcore Tekken fans, or (for example) the diffeernt types of fighting styles/accumulating of special move abilitites in Street Fighter's newer games (I can't remember what they are called) may do it for Street Fighter fans, but I'm just not as involved anymore as I used to be, so these little changes don't overly affect or bother me.

Realistically, no fighting game has really blown me away for a while....maybe since Soul Blade/Calibur (Blade wasn't amazing on the PS, but the story mode was pretty sweet, and Calibur for my DS was awesome at the time).

The way I play most fighting games on a pad is by using my fingers rather than my thumbs. It makes hitting multiple buttons easier. like if I want to hit square and triangle at the same time or x and circle at the same time I use my index and middle fingers rather than trying to hit both of them with my thumb

Also using my fingers rather then my thumb allows me to buffer multiple buttons.

Edited by kale

• 1 year later...

Urgh, the characters are getting stupid, as if Azazel, a final boss with no real ties to the main game isn't stupid enough being twice the size of everything else, they've now announced a robot character that's even bigger. I think I'm about done with the Tekken franchise, they're clutching at straws and they've done nothing genuinely new and interesting since three.

I think Tekken kind of jumped the shark with 5. In one player mode, Devil Jin is cheap as an opponent and Jinpachi is so cheap I almost thought I was playing Mortal Kombat the first time I fought him. (I'm still debating who is cheaper; Jinpachi or Abyss from Soul Calibur III.....)

Likely won't be playing Tekken 6, anyway; they won't be making it for the PS2 most likely, I can't afford a next gen system, and the arcade near me (the one where the Tekken 4 fight I mentioned in the Gaming Experiences thread took place) isn't even worth setting foot into anymore because the last few times I was in there all they had were DDR, racing games and kiddy stuff.

• 6 months later...

So I bought "Tekken: Dark Resurrection" for the PSP the other day, I've spent a lot of time giving up on Tekken, but I realised how fun I find the game once again thanks to playing it on the loveable handheld (seems to work that way with a lot of games, I think I may just prefer the feel of handheld gaming), anybody else got it and fancy facing off at some point in the future? I've gone from being really quite good to being awful, I've spent that long not playing it regularly :(