The Tekken Thread

Benji

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing right from the very beginning, with Tekken 1. I wouldn't be able to tell you which made it into the megabucks series it is now, but it could very well have been the first. Wasn't it one of the first fighting games developed for the Playstation? It's one of the earlier games I can remember for the system.

Tekken 2 remains my overall favourite though, so if you pushed me I'd have to say Tekken 2 made it big, out of pure bias. It's got a boxing Kangaroo for fucks sake.

I played 2 on a demo a mate got with his Playstation, but my first full game was the original, which my dad bought me for a fiver in some toy store outside of town. Loved it, and bought 2 not long after, then 3 once it came out. Ditto for 4, but I didn't like it and traded it in. Only rented 5, but it was far better than its predecessor, with loads of great returning characters.

I've been playing right from the very beginning, with Tekken 1. I wouldn't be able to tell you which made it into the megabucks series it is now, but it could very well have been the first. Wasn't it one of the first fighting games developed for the Playstation? It's one of the earlier games I can remember for the system.

Tekken 2 remains my overall favourite though, so if you pushed me I'd have to say Tekken 2 made it big, out of pure bias. It's got a boxing Kangaroo for fucks sake.

I first played the original Tekken and thought "wow, this just owns Street Fighter". Then I bought Tekken 2 and that is easily the best of the series in my opinion. I bought Tekken 3 afterwards, rented Tekken 4, but I thought Tekken 4 was a bunch of shit so I still haven't played Tekken 5.

I first played the original Tekken and thought "wow, this just owns Street Fighter". Then I bought Tekken 2 and that is easily the best of the series in my opinion. I bought Tekken 3 afterwards, rented Tekken 4, but I thought Tekken 4 was a bunch of shit so I still haven't played Tekken 5.

Tekken 4 was the worst of all the games so far in my opinion, nothing significantly series changing even in storyline bar the return of Kazuya, the lack of explanation as to why so many people had returned despite being killed by Ogre was just plain horrendous lack of canonicity (which I will be addressing in the diary... when I get there :P).

Tekken 5 was the biggest step up and is easilly my favourite equalling Tekken 3, the series has got better with pretty much every installment.

Edited by Benji Mishima

• 2 weeks later...

the first one i played was tekken 3 on demo so i went out and rented it. i got the first one after that and i recently got 4 and 5, wish i hadn't got 4 now though. The only one i want at the moment is tekken tag. i looked everywhere for it but i can't find it

• 4 weeks later...

Tekken To PSP!

Dark Resurrection on a handheld

Namco Japan's official Tekken website now features a PSP sub site. The game modes section is still unavailable but there is a gallery with a ton of T5:DR PSP screenshots!

We couldn't help but notice none of the screens include any character customizations, perhaps that feature had to go due to the limited resources of the PSP compared to a PlayStation2.

Oh fuck, now I HAVE to buy a PSP. Fucking Namco.

Tekken 4 was the worst of all the games so far in my opinion, nothing significantly series changing even in storyline bar the return of Kazuya, the lack of explanation as to why so many people had returned despite being killed by Ogre was just plain horrendous lack of canonicity (which I will be addressing in the diary... when I get there :P).

Tekken 5 was the biggest step up and is easilly my favourite equalling Tekken 3, the series has got better with pretty much every installment.

Nina having a son
... is still barely even touched upon.

Armor King being dead
Not really, he hadn't had any major role since the original Tekken, he and King were basically still clones with few exceptions, most of his moves now lie in King II.

Eddie having a student
I laughed hard. Eddy SHOULD have been involved in finding out what role Kazuya had in his parents death, not dealing with the fan service.

Jin changing martial arts styles
How is THAT a significant storyline change?

his Devil gene kicking in at the end were significant?
... his devil gene kicked in at the end of three too... and during five...

• 2 months later...

Finally got the game about a week ago, and I've got three questions:

1. Does Eddy actually have a storyline this time when you unlock him, or is it like 4 where you just switch to Christie for the last fight and get her ending again?

(I haven't unlocked Eddy by buying him from the customization screen yet, and would rather spend the credits on unlocking costumes if he's just a pallette swap with no storyline like in 4)

2. From the music screen, which track is the opening theme? (The part where it shows all the characters, not the Tekken 4 ending continuation part)

3. Is Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection basically a remake with the same storyline but a few new characters and some costume and background changes, or is it a continuation of the storyline from 5?

Edited by GhostMachine

1. Does Eddy actually have a storyline this time when you unlock him, or is it like 4 where you just switch to Christie for the last fight and get her ending again?

3. Is Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection basically a remake with the same storyline but a few new characters and some costume and background changes, or is it a continuation of the storyline from 5?

Eddie has the same story as Christie. He's really just there for cosmetics when you talk storylines. His moves, however, can be broke as hell in your favor. There is no mid-game when fighting Gordo, as he can/will own you every time you try to go mid.

Dark Res is looking to be an actual continuation with some new arenas and upgrades. They're tweaking the priority system a bit, which is good, since it will likely make some characters once again playable for me. Fortunately for us PSP fans, it's also coming to the handhelds in all its glory.

Eddie has the same story as Christie. He's really just there for cosmetics when you talk storylines. His moves, however, can be broke as hell in your favor. There is no mid-game when fighting Gordo, as he can/will own you every time you try to go mid.

Dark Res is looking to be an actual continuation with some new arenas and upgrades. They're tweaking the priority system a bit, which is good, since it will likely make some characters once again playable for me. Fortunately for us PSP fans, it's also coming to the handhelds in all its glory.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to remind people that Julia and her tier switching moves are appallingly cheap. Fuck her, she will die.

EDIT: Hooray for Jin and every move I can combo coming out of the Median Line Destruction :wub:

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!