See you later, Lou Reed

ROC

Someone collared me during the interval at tonight's wrestling show to tell me this, and it really threw me. An absolute hero of mine - two of my old bands covered Velvets' tracks.

As cool as the Velvets were, though - and it's difficult to overstate how important they are - it's worth really remembering how much awesome music Lou Reed recorded in his solo career, and how varied his output was. The music press had this tendency to assume that the sum total of Lou Reed's recording career was "Walk On The Wild Side" and "Perfect Day", so whenever he did something they considered weird, they'd act as if he'd lost his mind - "what, he's recorded a concept album about Poe's 'The Raven'? What a nutjob!", or "he's doing an album with Metallica? Crazy old man, he's lost it!" - when, really, the glam-y, Bowie-esque stuff was the aberration. He was constantly pushing the envelope, constantly experimenting with all sorts of stuff.

Whether it was the subject matter of the Velvets' lyrics, the proto-drone of "Sister Ray", the noise of "Metal Machine Music", and the aforementioned "The Raven", which I absolutely adore, he was always out on a limb, doing something that no one else was doing. He was special, and he was one of my favourites.

And that's "Berlin". One of the best songs, one of the best albums. One of the best. Full stop.

• Like 2

Ended up happening to be in a bar full of people all singing this song together led by Amanda Palmer on piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y

It managed to make the fact that he'd died... well, significantly more surreal, but I poured one out for him.

• Like 1

That's good, but not as good as:

1. Lou Bega receiving messages of sympathy in one of the more bizarre Chris Hoy/Foy incidents ever.

2. Metro (I think it was Metro) having to print a story correcting their previous statement that Reed had recorded an album with Metallica and Lulu.