Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead

therockbox

I couldn't believe the news when I first read it this evening. Needless to say I'm still in shock. Hoffman was one of my favourite actors of the last 10 years, his performance as the brutal villain in Mission Impossible III perhaps being my personal highlight. As others have already said, 46 is way too early an age to die, and the fact that it's down to a drugs overdose just makes thing more tragic. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. RIP.

On a somewhat-related note, given that he was due to be a fairly big part of the final 2 Hunger Games films, how do you think they'll proceed? Will they recast his part or rewrite the script to take his character out of it? Whichever option they take I hope they dedicate the film/films to his memory, it's only fitting

He already completed filming Part 1 of Mockinjay and was 7 days away from finishing Part 2....Lionsgate said that the release dates won't be affected and that his part in Part 2 will be scaled back and not re-cast

Source: Somewhere on the internet, but I can't copy and paste on this site anymore

EDIT: I was intrigued by his new Showtime show, but I guess that will never happen now

Edited by million$$man

On a somewhat-related note, given that he was due to be a fairly big part of the final 2 Hunger Games films, how do you think they'll proceed? Will they recast his part or rewrite the script to take his character out of it? Whichever option they take I hope they dedicate the film/films to his memory, it's only fitting

Apparently it won't affect much, because he had already filmed most of his scenes for both sequels, with only seven days of filming left for Mockingjay: Part 2.

I wasn't a big fan of his, I haven't even seen him in many movies, but still, it's awful. He was way too young and I really hate it when someone dies like this.

RIP.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

I am ridiculously cut up about this, without a shadow of a doubt one of my favourite actors of all time and today's been an absolute write-off because of this news. I've said time and time again that he had perhaps the greatest comic timing of any actor I've ever seen as evidenced by his role in Lebowski. Not only that but his more serious roles in the likes of Synecdoche, New York and The Master are just insanely captivating. He had an insane amount of presence whenever he was on screen, regardless of what role he was in. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's never actually been in a bad film, at least not one that I can think of.

He's the reason I wanted to be an actor when I was younger, he's the reason I went to drama school and he will, in my mind at least, live on as quite possibly the greatest actor to have ever lived.

We've already watched the Ides of March tonight because holy shit, that's a terrific supporting role from him, the speech he gives to Gosling about loyalty in the second act is a terrific bit of screenwriting impeciably delivered.

So yeah, I'm beat. RIP, you glorious, glorious man.

• Like 5

He already completed filming Part 1 of Mockinjay and was 7 days away from finishing Part 2....Lionsgate said that the release dates won't be affected and that his part in Part 2 will be scaled back and not re-cast

He doesn't appear a whole lot in the Mockingjay book. That shouldn't affect the movie. But then again, some genious thought it was a good idea to split the book into two movies. I could understand why they did it with Harry Potter (although I don't understand why they only split the last book into 2 movies as opposed to the 1000-page 5th book) but I don't think Mockingjay has enough substance to be made into two movies. And since they don't have a lot of additional material (like Peter Jackson had with all the apendixes of the LotR movies and Silmarillion and such) I'm looking forward to see what they added themselves. And let's face it, Mockingjay was probably the worst book in the series. So depending on what they had planed for Hoffman it might could be a problem after all.