UFC 2014

A-Dub

Was surprised to not see a thread for this already. The demo came out last week and it looks gorgeous.

To me, though, the game plays too fast and, while fighters' movements have weight, the strikes don't. The weightlessness feels especially profound on the ground. The new submission minigame feels good though and makes the whole thing feel like a struggle, I just don't get to appreciate the animations when I'm focused on the game in the periphery.

Who's played it so far? What do you think?

I played the demo and a few days later cancelled my pre-order. It felt so much like Undisputed 3 with a graphics uphaul and the major gripe I had with that was how unrealistic it was in terms of fighters just constantly attacking.

I'm willing to change my mind if I see that it has a better, more varied career mode than the previous games.

• Like 1

We've been discussing it in the PS4/XBO threads themselves - but yeah you're pretty spot on with how the strikes feel. It's less canned that it has ever been, and the strikes feel more dynamic - but at times it just seems like I'm lightly tapping or running my fist slowly across the face of my opponent. Not a great feeling.

That's my biggest gripe really - I"m fine otherwise and I'm sure it'll make a great game either way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this out of an interview, Srar.

[quote] And how does one unlock Bruce Lee in “EA Sports UFC”?

Brian: There are four Bruce Lees. He's available in four weight classes – bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight – because we wanted you to be able to take him in against as many UFC fighters as possible.

If you pre-order the game, you unlock them all immediately. In-game, if you make it to the Hall of Fame in Career mode on either of the two highest difficulty settings, then you unlock him. And you can unlock him in the store as well.

Bisping goes between Middle/Lightheavy so... naw, no Bisping for Bruce. But you CAN beat the crap out of the Diaz brothers?

• Like 1

I picked this out of an interview, Srar.

[quote] And how does one unlock Bruce Lee in “EA Sports UFC”?

Brian: There are four Bruce Lees. He's available in four weight classes – bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight – because we wanted you to be able to take him in against as many UFC fighters as possible.

If you pre-order the game, you unlock them all immediately. In-game, if you make it to the Hall of Fame in Career mode on either of the two highest difficulty settings, then you unlock him. And you can unlock him in the store as well.

Bisping goes between Middle/Lightheavy so... naw, no Bisping for Bruce. But you CAN beat the crap out of the Diaz brothers?

That sucks but the Diaz brothers are a good consolation priza

I'm quite interested in this but have never played a UFC game before. Do it have a tutorial type thing at all?

Grab the demo, that has a tutorial.

Is it worth getting the PS4 or Xbox One for? I'm still two generations behind, but with everyone selling off their PS3s I'd rather buy one of those and play the old UFC game before getting this. The UFC game is the one thing I'd skip a generation for.

It certainly has a full tutorial as well, along with some challenges to get you used to it - it's pretty complicated, even to people who have played the series before so it pretty much had to be comprehensive.

Yeh from what i've read there's a bit of a learning curve with the game. Found that with the demo and I've played all the UFC games, took me a while to get used to a lot of things. I'm still shit at defending takedowns though :(

Can't wait to get this tomorrow!! Looking forward to me and my friend having an epic rivalry online. If there's enough people who have this on PS4 we could possibly set up a tournament or a fighting league

I said this elsewhere:

Seems pretty good so far.

I won all of my Ultimate Fighter bouts, but I assume you just repeat them if you lose since you kind of need to win to make it to the UFC. Presentation there is pretty good, and they do some neat videos as you're going through.

The finale on a real UFC card was pretty cool - you don't get entrances yet, which I like since you're at the bottom of the card - but this is the general flow:

1) You are offered a fight. I don't have choices yet, I just take the one that comes up.
2) You do three random training events to get XP to spend. It's much simpler this time - you spend the XP on leveling up your stats (no stat degradation this time around it seems, thank fuck) and on moves that come in at around 100-200XP each.
3) After the training you can assign new moves/points if you want, set your sponsors, etc.
4) Fight time! You get decent XP for losing even - I lost my first match and got around 600ish XP and won my second one to get a little over 1,000.

And it kind of cycles like that as far as I've played. I've only played TUF Finale and the two fights I mentioned but they were all awesome fights, two of them going the distance and one of them ending in a second round KO.

It's probably going to get old quick - yeah. But that's the nature of these games. I don't mind too much that you don't have to do a convoluted training camp system to get moves this time around.