2015 College Football Thread

Oh, I do feel sorry for him. But I don't think he has a case due to showing up to work drunk off his ass and making excuses for it, and the alcoholism definitely affected his work. 

It could also set a dangerous precedent if he wins.

4 hours ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

That's a very, very fine line to walk. 

Sark IS taking responsibility for his actions, if not, he'd not been on his way to rehab when he got the email.  I am certainly not making excuses for the man ... I've just been VERY close to alcoholism and well ... it absolutely is a disease in every fashion of the definition and likely more so than some things that pop to mind when you think of disease.  Prescription drugs/OTC's have warning labels, yes ... but when you're afflicted with an addiction disease that's irrelevant.  His statement of that is merely pointing to how serious his disease had gotten. 

There's a huge difference in showing up to work drunk off your ass, and having the disease of alcoholism ... it's not like USC (and everyone else) didn't know there was an issue with this.  They hired him knowing of his issue and terminated him based on it rather than allowing him to try and overcome the disease ... which you can't do.  It isn't because he's a college football coach.  It's because he has a disease.

You can't fire someone for being an alcoholic. You can, however, fire someone for showing up to work drunk, alcoholic or not. It's not a Get Out of Jail Free pass to be a jackass.

I feel bad for the guy, I've enough personal experiences with addiction to have an intimate knowledge of it, but I don't think he has a leg to stand on.

I'm guessing Sarkisian's contract will have very specific language that specifies what is "for cause." USC is a private school, so the details of his contract will only come out in discovery filings.

The way he was fired it came off very cold to me. Pat Haden was a great commentator, but it seems like he's been a bit of a disaster as AD at USC.

Alabama's Derrick Henry won it. McCaffrey should have won it. One hell of a season. I want to yell "SEC BIAS", but other people will do that, instead. I knew Watson had no chance in hell of winning it. Once again, this is 2009 all over, again, with an over-rated Alabama running back beating a Stanford running back who should have won the award. Anyways, since this is out of the way, four more months until the draft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...