Is Michael Vick Overrated?

Mofoticon

Is Michael Vick overrated?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Michael Vick overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Id have to say yes....hes hyped as the best QB in the nfl, when he hasnt proven he can stay healthy enough to be on the field for a consistent basis...his 1 healthy season, he didnt even put up very good stats...Sure, he has the potential to be amazing, but espn hypes him up as the best QB in the nfl, when he clearly is not....

Guest BacknBlackHoez

i dont think he is overrated, he wins, he leads his team, he makes his other players look good, what else do you want.

He will improve on accuracy, he was a good core of WR's now and an improving O-Line.

Hell fucking yes he is.

He's pimped as the next coming of Jesus in Cleats (which is Jerry Rice for those who don't know), except at the QB position, yet his accuracy and ability to actually PLAY QB are lacking. He's a tremendous athlete, but he's a shitty QB. He's missed 12 games in the last 2 seasons, the season that he's started, which is about 33% of the games, and is starting to look injury prone, due to his style of play.

Many people point to the win over Green Bay in the playoffs in 2002, yet it wasn't Vick who won that game, unless he was also playing for the Falcon defense, who held the Pack to 7 points, and equalized the score on their own with a turnover return.

He's going into the West Coast Offense, an offense he is woefully unsuited for due to his shitty accuracy, has no good recievers, two average to good backs, a nice one-two punch though, a bad o-line, a bad defense, yet they are expected to contend on his ability alone. He's no John Elway or Brett Favre, about the only two guys I could see willing that team to victory on their own.

He is overrated and overhyped, especially by the media and his fans.

I've been a huge Vick fan since the first game I saw him play with Virginia Tech (my favorite college team). And so it's obvious that I'm going to say that he is not overrated, but I'm here to offer points as to why. Just like Syco said he's got a bad offensive line, a poor receiving core (with one or two exceptions), a decent backfield, and a defense that leaves a whole lot to be desired. I'll admit that his pass accuracy is open for improvement. But if you just take a look at the stats I think you'll notice that he has made the Atlanta Falcons better. I will also agree that 2002 was his standout season.

In 2002 Michael Vick threw for a 54.9 completion percentage, threw only 8 ints, and finished the season with a QB rating of 81.6. In that same season Rich Gannon, the league leading QB had a completion percentage of 67.6, threw 10 ints, and had a QB rating of 97.3. While there is quite a difference between those stats considering that Gannon had 14 years of pro experience on him, it makes Vick look pretty good. 2002, Drew Bledsoe was second place in the league in the QB position. Bledsoe only had a 61% completion percentage, threw an impressive 15 ints, and had a QB rating of only 86.

Also in 2002 Vick proved that he was a threat on the ground in NFL. He rushed for 777 yards on only 113 attempts. That's a 6.9-yard per carry average. He scored 8 touchdowns on the ground that season and combined with his passing TD's brought him to a total of 24.

I'll move up to 2003 a season in which he went down in the preseason with a broken leg. He came back very late in the season, when his team was already out of the playoff race. He could have sat out the rest of the season and made sure that his leg was fully healed. But he came back to start the last four games of the season. And he didn't play too badly. He still managed to scramble for 255 yards and pass for another 585.

I know that right now your going to take what I've said and post something about the hamstring strain he's suffering from right now. But if you look at Steve McNair, he was very similar to Vick in that he had halfback style speed and mobility. But when he had some pain that wouldn't allow him to move as much, he stepped up in the pocket and became a great pocket passer. Look for the same thing out of Vick for the first couple of weeks into the season. In closing I'll admit that Vick's style of play does lead him towards a career full of injuries, but as long as he remains healthy there are a very small amount of players that any better in the NFL.

I understand that Vick has great tools, and can produce when he is healthy, but I like to see some long-term progress. I'm never going to buy into a player being the second coming of Jesus until he's proven he can put up big numbers consistently. So far Vick has one good season under his belt, the other two he barely played in.

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| 2001 atl | 8 | 50 113 44.2 785 6.9 2 3 | 29 300 1 |

| 2002 atl | 15 | 231 421 54.9 2936 7.0 16 8 | 113 777 8 |

| 2003 atl | 5 | 50 100 50.0 585 5.8 4 3 | 40 255 1 |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| TOTAL | 28 | 331 634 52.2 4306 6.8 22 14 | 182 1332 10

Those are decent stats for three seasons with limited playing time, but like I said, talk to me in 2006 and I'll tell you if Vick is still overrated. I think it would be ridiculous to mention him in the same breath as Manning, Farve, or Tom Brady.

Though you have to look at it as though he'll probably never be mentioned in the same breath as Manning or Farve. Because he's not either one. Mike Vick is a double threat he can pass the ball or given a good pass rush he can take off and beat you with speed. Peyton Manning nor Bret Farve are much better than a lineman given a scrambling situation. Neither one is much of a threat when it comes to the option. Personally I'd much rather give a few incompletions and have a guy who can run a successful option and gain some yardage off a strong blitz.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

You act like he's the first QB that could ever run...

Steve Young, John Elway, and Randall Cunningham say 'Hi', and all did it better then Vick ever will.

Its not so much that he's overrated, its that he's overhyped.

You act like he's the first QB that could ever run...

Steve Young, John Elway, and Randall Cunningham say 'Hi', and all did it better then Vick ever will.

Its not so much that he's overrated, its that he's overhyped.

Good to know you can see the future <_<

Your winning lottery numbers will be 10, 23, 37, 45, 51, and 62.

Though you have to look at it as though he'll probably never be mentioned in the same breath as Manning or Farve. Because he's not either one. Mike Vick is a double threat he can pass the ball or given a good pass rush he can take off and beat you with speed. Peyton Manning nor Bret Farve are much better than a lineman given a scrambling situation. Neither one is much of a threat when it comes to the option. Personally I'd much rather give a few incompletions and have a guy who can run a successful option and gain some yardage off a strong blitz.

While it may be true that Vick is a different style of Quarterback, he'd still be considered in the elite, if he proved to be part of the elite over a period of time. If he plays up to his potential, I see no reason that we can't mention him with Manning and Farve. As for Manning and Farve, both are smart, and know the right time to run the ball. While they definitely are not as skilled as Vick when running, they both make good decisions on when it's time to run. That's not to say Vick runs too much either, because I think a Quarterback with speed is a great weapon.

Overrated? No. Yes, he doesn't have the most accurate arm in the world, and yes, the West Coast Offense is something that needs one, but wait and see what happens this year and the next to totally pass judgment on whether he can work with the offense. And besides, Mora's already gone on record saying that it's really more of a hybrid offense than the normal West Coast Offense. Vick's back-up, Matt Schaub has experience in the West Coast offense because he went to West Virginia, where they use the West Coast offense. Schaub will be able to help Vick with it. Oh and not to mention the fact that they have Ty Detmer on the team, who's been in the West Coast offense system for a majority of his career. It's not like Vick can't get some help with it.

His accuracy will improve now that the Falcons have an offensive line coach that is the best in Alex Gibbs. Just having GIbbs as the coach will improve the offensive line, thus improving protection, so Vick doesn't have to throw on the run all the time. Also, some of the Wideouts have at least decent hands that will help his accuracy as well.

You bring up stats from when he has played, but stats don't mean everything. Sure it's nice to have over 4,000 yards passing, but I would much rather have my team win 10 games rather than 5 if the QB only has over 2,000. Vick makes the players around him better, Vick helps his team win and he can make something out of nothing. You tell me what coach wouldn't want a guy with those qualities? If you find one, tell me, I'll laugh like hell. He's not a pure passer like the Peyton Manning's or the Carson Palmer's in the league, but he gets the job done.

Syco, you're right, he isn't the first QB that can run. Steve Young was a master at it, Randall Cunningham was probably an idol of Vick's growing up because of the fact that Randall could run. But let me ask you, is Vick the first QB to run a 4.3 to 4.2? Yes. Regardless of whether or not he's the first to do so, he's the first to do with that much speed. Speed isn't the most needed stat in a QB, but he has the speed to elude defenders instead of standing there like a fucking stone like Peyton Manning for example.

Overhyped? When you can make the team you're on better than they were without you. Or when you can make something out of absoloutely nothing. Or how about when you go into a place that has a history of being tough to play in, and you lead your team to win in that place. (yeah the defense had a score, but last time I checked, it takes another touchdown to be able to win in a tie game) When you can do all that, I believe, you deserve the hype.

Ya' know, people don't like the hype on a lot of athletes, but does that make it ill-minded? No.

Your opinion is your opinion, but it seems you want stats over wins.

Overrated? No. Yes, he doesn't have the most accurate arm in the world, and yes, the West Coast Offense is something that needs one, but wait and see what happens this year and the next to totally pass judgment on whether he can work with the offense. And besides, Mora's already gone on record saying that it's really more of a hybrid offense than the normal West Coast Offense. Vick's back-up, Matt Schaub has experience in the West Coast offense because he went to West Virginia, where they use the West Coast offense. Schaub will be able to help Vick with it. Oh and not to mention the fact that they have Ty Detmer on the team, who's been in the West Coast offense system for a majority of his career. It's not like Vick can't get some help with it.

His accuracy will improve now that the Falcons have an offensive line coach that is the best in Alex Gibbs. Just having GIbbs as the coach will improve the offensive line, thus improving protection, so Vick doesn't have to throw on the run all the time. Also, some of the Wideouts have at least decent hands that will help his accuracy as well.

You bring up stats from when he has played, but stats don't mean everything. Sure it's nice to have over 4,000 yards passing, but I would much rather have my team win 10 games rather than 5 if the QB only has over 2,000. Vick makes the players around him better, Vick helps his team win and he can make something out of nothing. You tell me what coach wouldn't want a guy with those qualities? If you find one, tell me, I'll laugh like hell. He's not a pure passer like the Peyton Manning's or the Carson Palmer's in the league, but he gets the job done.

Syco, you're right, he isn't the first QB that can run. Steve Young was a master at it, Randall Cunningham was probably an idol of Vick's growing up because of the fact that Randall could run. But let me ask you, is Vick the first QB to run a 4.3 to 4.2? Yes. Regardless of whether or not he's the first to do so, he's the first to do with that much speed. Speed isn't the most needed stat in a QB, but he has the speed to elude defenders instead of standing there like a fucking stone like Peyton Manning for example.

Overhyped? When you can make the team you're on better than they were without you. Or when you can make something out of absoloutely nothing. Or how about when you go into a place that has a history of being tough to play in, and you lead your team to win in that place. (yeah the defense had a score, but last time I checked, it takes another touchdown to be able to win in a tie game) When you can do all that, I believe, you deserve the hype.

Ya' know, people don't like the hype on a lot of athletes, but does that make it ill-minded? No.

Your opinion is your opinion, but it seems you want stats over wins.

Edited by naiwf