The Thread Where We Discuss Golf

Marcos

I'm hoping Rory wins but I can't bring myself to back him. I forgot to stick my bets on before the event, so I can't back top 10 any more - I would've backed Snedeker top 10 - so instead I've backed Snedeker, Fowler and Baddeley all each way.

Edit: Actually I'm going to back Mickleson outright as well, 18/1 is worth a cheeky couple of quid

Terrible first round from Phil. The U.S. Open is a sea of non-Americans right now at the top too, which means I constantly get to do the "Oh man, I haven't seen his name for years!" bit when looking at the Leaderboard. Will be an exciting tournament, this is one of the best courses in the country. If I didn't have work all weekend I'd take the 45 minute drive down to see some of it before going to Capitol Punishment on Sunday. Oh well.

I have money (ok, a quid) on McIlroy at 21/1 with Betfred's enhanced win only bet. I hope he puts in a decent score today to set up the weekend. I put a quid on Robert Rock to finish in the top 10 at 25's too. Other smaller bets include McDowell and Jason Day.

Terrible first round from Phil. The U.S. Open is a sea of non-Americans right now at the top too, which means I constantly get to do the "Oh man, I haven't seen his name for years!" bit when looking at the Leaderboard. Will be an exciting tournament, this is one of the best courses in the country. If I didn't have work all weekend I'd take the 45 minute drive down to see some of it before going to Capitol Punishment on Sunday. Oh well.

You can't count Mickelson out though, he's such a good player he's capable of sticking a couple of -4/-5 rounds in and being right up there.

The bet I'd be sticking my money on right now is the McIlroy special on SkyBet: leading after 54 holes and not win @ 4/1. But I've already got like 30 quid on this tournament, so I'll wait until Sunday before putting any more on.

McIlroy's flying again - he's 10 under for the tournament and has a birdie chance to move eight shots clear of the entire field. I think he's only on hole 13 too!

Yeah, that was definitely a makeable birdie on 12 after the great shot he hit to get there. I think they said that the 36 hole record at the US Open is -10.

McIlroy just became the 3rd guy in history to get to -12 at any point of the US Open. Gil Morgan in 1992 collapsed while Tiger in 2000 went on to win by 15 strokes. McIlroy is up 9 on 2nd place right now and that is after missing an eagle putt on 16th and a birdie chance on 12.

Edit: Wow, he just became the first golfer ever to hit -13 at a US Open ever. He's Bogey free through 35.

Edited by sahyder1

Geddon Rory. Prove me wrong and take Woods' record.

I still think he'll fuck up though :shifty:

Edit: :( And as soon as I show my support for him on Twitter he goes for a swim. Still a quality round though especially if he can get up and down in 2. Unlucky Phil there as well, that was a superb golf shot and didn't deserve to go in the pond.

My bets are going well for once!

Rory should have this in the bag, barring another final day collapse, Jason Day is in position to win me money as long as he finishes in the top 6, and Robert Rock still has an outside chance of finishing in the top 10.

Coverage of the final round starts at 6.30pm on SS2 for UK members.

If Rory collapses here it'll be on a level not even visited by Monty, Norman, Van De Velde, and Thomas Bjorn. I'd say he's alright. A +5 and he probably will still win.

Though, Arnold Palmer did blow a 7-stroke lead so nobody is immune.

Arnold Palmer blew the 7 stroke lead on the back 9 of the fourth round and actually had to sink a putt to force playoffs.

I didn't get to watch it live yesterday but caught up late night courtesy of the DVR. There is no way McIlroy blows this. This is not the same situation as the Masters. Yes, he had a four shot lead going into the final round there but that lead was gone by the time he was on the 2nd hole because Schwartzel was shooting lights out. The lead is just too big here. He showed yesterday (I forget the hole) that he would play it safe when need be when he just chipped out to the fairway.

There is already talk of him being the one to potentially chase down Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 majors. Padraig Harrington mentioned it this week too and McIlroy was asked about it yesterday. He said all the right things including "I'm just trying to win the first one" but if there is a guy on the tour today who will chase down the record (or come close) it will be McIlroy. Yes, everyone talks about him shooting 80 but lets not forget that coming into this US Open he had played in eight majors and already had three 3rd place finishes. In those eight majors he has four top 10 finishes and 6 top 20. Keep in mind that he is just 22.

I know we've been here before. Sergio Garcia was hyped up as a potential Tiger rival (and the thought wasn't crazy at the time) but I don't think Garcia ever had the mental makeup for it which is a shame because I absolutely loved watching him play.

It's way too far off to pick Rory as anything but the best young European there is. How he progresses in the next 3 or 4 years will tell us everything about his potential to chase Jack or, if he manages to turn it around, Tiger. Right now we should be asking if he's able to unseat Seve as the best European player ever. If he wins a few majors, then we ask what else he can do.