Antecedently, in the Fargo thread...

Benji

Overall, I'd say I liked but didn't love the season. If I'd had to rank them I'd go 2,1,4,5,3.

Spoiler

Also I don't think Witt was really developed enough to make me care about his death. IMO would have been more interesting if we had a final scene between Gator and Roy leading to Roy's arrest rather than an off-hand comment that Gator told the cops about the escape tunnel.  

16 hours ago, Gongsun Zan said:

Overall, I'd say I liked but didn't love the season. If I'd had to rank them I'd go 2,1,4,5,3.

Hide contents

Also I don't think Witt was really developed enough to make me care about his death. IMO would have been more interesting if we had a final scene between Gator and Roy leading to Roy's arrest rather than an off-hand comment that Gator told the cops about the escape tunnel.  

Spoiler

I definitely agree with this. Seems like Hawley's idea with Whit was that he's sort of similar to Dot (he moves in the world with decency) and that in any given situation, one person who does that can end up having a nice homemade chili and one might end up dead. But I think that could have been fleshed out a lot more to stress that point. 

Basically the core flaw of this season, that they weren't really able to define minor characters effectively, reared its ugly head there.

Spoiler

As Alan Sepinwall said in his review, we basically learned more about who Witt was and what motivated him more from Dot and Indira talking about him at his grave than we did when he was alive.

Pretty solid in my feeling that I'd rank the seasons as 2, 1, 5, 3, 4. Seems like Hawley has basically backpedaled away from the idea that S5 will definitely be the last one and is more like "well, I'm focusing on Alien for now" so maybe there will in fact be more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the series and well it was all delightful!  I'd probably put the seasons 2, 1, 5, 4, 3.  But overall, just loved the series

• Like 1