Antecedently, in the Fargo thread...

Benji

Season two is my favorite and I wouldn't change a thing. I think what it expands the show into (more or less keeping the same settings and basic subject matter as the movie but pulling from the entire Coen Brothers filmography for influences where season one mostly sticks to Fargo) is great, and the overall cast of characters is extremely strong.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Not sure if you're a Fargo fan @Adam but Timothy Olyphant plays a US marshall in the newest season. 

I love the show, briefly saw his face in the trailer and thought "of course he's in this". Knows where his strengths lie does Tim!

I'm not sure when or where the new season will air in the UK but I can't wait for it.

• Like 1

A lot of what's interesting to me about the season up to this point is the way it's about who gets a seat at the table in America and the cycle of assimilation and whatnot. Everyone on the wrong side of the law this time around is a minority/marginalized in some way, but the actual inciting incidents that seem poised to send everything off the rails -- Don Fadda not being allowed into the nice hospital, everything Oraetta Mayflower has done -- are basically caused by WASPs who very much play that status up and may well end up being untouched by the violence that results.

(So in other words... yeah. Cannon-Fadda.)

• Like 3

• Lineker changed the title to Fargo
  • GoGo Yubari changed the title to Antecedently, in the Fargo thread...
Spoiler

"Okay, fair enough, Odis." ~ me, when Odis offs Deafy

"FUCK OFF, ODIS" ~ me, ten seconds later.

Do think it's representative of some of the struggles this season's had that the first three significant characters to die (after Don Fadda in the first episode) also happen to be the three that I think were -- if not the most focused-on characters -- the most fun to watch in Doctor Senator, Dick Wickware, and Swanee Capps. Also representative of the struggles: introducing Josto and Gaetano's mother and making sure the audience knows who that is so she can be killed off a minute later as though there's any weight to it.

• Like 2

Yeah. Felt like a good "okay, we're getting on with the show, time for the shit to hit the fan" signifier. A little bit of speculation:

Spoiler

In terms of things connecting to the rest of the series, I wonder if the Gerhardts will show up in any capacity. The head of the Fargo crime syndicate we saw a few episodes ago and at the end of this one is the guy that Otto has Dodd kill in a movie theater, and that's supposed to happen in 1950 so no matter what, Mort Kellerman doesn't survive the year. But it could be that scene takes place after the events of this season.

Also, the change in the Fadda brothers' dynamic was extremely welcome. I've been extremely mixed on Gaetano but his reaction to Josto trying to get him killed being "oh, you're actually more of a gangster than I thought, I respect you now" is hilarious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Additional speculation:

Hide contents

This is all essentially Bokeem Woodbine’s origin story, right? I mean, I don’t think they’re exactly hiding it. A black guy named Milligan who rolls with two Jewish guys.

Spoiler

At bare minimum they definitely want you to think Satchel is going to end up being Mike Milligan, to the extent that they're even dropping in things like Loy using the same rejoinder to the "we're a friendly people" line (just about Mormons rather than Minnesotans).

I think it probably is just going to straight-up be that, though, the only evidence people have to the contrary is that the History of Crime in the Midwest book in season 2 lists Mike's birthdate as 1949 but a) it could have been falsified and b) it being Satchel would actually put Mike closer to Bokeem Woodbine's actual age when he filmed Fargo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...