Might just be sort of rose tinted glasses since it was the first PS3 game I played but I really loved the first one. Like, the second is measurably better but Im still really fond of the original.

4 hours ago, Merry Kaneymas said:

Might just be sort of rose tinted glasses since it was the first PS3 game I played but I really loved the first one. Like, the second is measurably better but Im still really fond of the original.

Ditto, I still think the first one is some of the most fun. For me it's 2 > 1 > 4 > 3. Not that three is bad, but some of the gameplay tropes become overused and there's one particular scene that annoys the living shit out of me every time*, though it does have probably the most stunning set pieces of the series.

Spoiler

* traipsing through the desert for five minutes at the speed of an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping. I understood what they were going for with matching Drake's exhaustion, but it was just fucking tedious to play and not fun nor emotionally rewarding at all, then to have the enemy be in the first place you find for the millionth time as soon as you are there? Yeah, no, not my idea of good gameplay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Uncharted 4. The gameplay hasn't improved in any meaningful way since the second game, but I felt that this had the best writing of all the games. As usual, there's a load of contrived nonsense shoehorned in to lead to the next wacky action set piece, and the "oh-no-the-pipe-I-just-grabbed-onto-just-bent-out-of-position-and-almost-caused-me-to-fall" trope has been used so often now that it's completely and utterly predictable, but call me an ignorant ninny because this will probably go down as my favourite game in the series, slightly edging out Among Thieves.

I'd be perfectly happy now if I didn't play another Uncharted game because I've now got more or less everything I want out of the series, so the spin-off game with Chloe won't necessarily be high on my priority list of upcoming games, but who knows? If the story is interesting enough and a few extra gameplay innovations are introduced, I wouldn't say no.

• 2 months later...

LITERALLY just finished Uncharted 4.

I liked it :shifty:

Everything bobfoc said about the tropes and clichés being overplayed is spot on but I still loved it.

It didn't seem to be as funny as I expected given the numerous laugh out loud moments in previous games, and I don't think there's any single setpiece that will stay with me the way train crash from 2 did, or even the airplane crash in 3. It seemed to trade in a lot of the epic-ness for an upgrade in writing because the story was fantastic.

I really enjoyed the Drake brothers chemistry, Sam was a great addition and some of the emotional beats like Nate lying to Eleana or the reveal of Sams lies were done amazingly well and not cheesy at all I thought. The ending where everyone survived and got rich and lived happily ever after was a bit twee, I expected some gravitas in the form of Sam dying or something, but the reveal of Cassie at the end totally made up for it and was awesome.

I think I'd agree with Benji on the order of 2-1-4-3. I do wanna play the others now though >_>

Spoilered for length really.

• Like 1

I'd still go 2-4-3-1 after letting 4 rest for a few months.. I think the drastic turn one takes towards the end along with the inferior gameplay makes it the clear worst and 2 was just an overwhelming experience from start to finish.

Its the same as Assassin's Creed in that the first game essentially acts as a beta for the rest of the series.