Retro Gaming Thread

Skummy

Seems to be Pirates! Gold, apparently, so I'd guess updated?

I don't think I ever played Railroad Tycoon 3...was it noticeably better/worse than 2? I'm contemplating getting either that or one of the Rollercoaster Tycoons tonight - leaning toward Railroad 3 if it's better than 2?

3 hours ago, Skummy said:

Seems to be Pirates! Gold, apparently, so I'd guess updated?

Yeah, the '04 version. 

Still, great game, highly addictive. Oddly, the trick in the game to riches isn't piracy, but privateering :shifty: 

6 minutes ago, Mick said:

Yeah, the '04 version. 

Still, great game, highly addictive. Oddly, the trick in the game to riches isn't piracy, but privateering :shifty: 

Sid Meier's Pirates! is the 2005 version.

Pirates! Gold is one of those 'oh hey, now we have a slightly better version of the graphics' deals bit in the late 80s and early 90s.

https://www.gog.com/game/pirates_gold_plus

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_pirates

But yeah, the 2005 version is the on sale one.

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I played ten minutes of Railroad Tycoon 3 before I got confused and scared by it being in 3D and unfamiliar. It's a 14 year old game.  

If you need help I can talk you through it, beaten the three campaigns. I am good at making parks but I suck at making rollercoasters.

edit: Er railroads? who builds railroads? Come back to me when you are building themeparks.

• Like 1

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 will probably be next on my list, tbf. I'm pretty great at making parks with fun themed areas, then getting bored of them and drowning dudes in panda costumes.

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 will probably be next on my list, tbf. I'm pretty great at making parks with fun themed areas, then getting bored of them and drowning dudes in panda costumes.

Mr. Skummy's Wild Ride? :shifty: 

Back to Pirates!, the NES version never appealed to me, since it was seemingly like...too close of a PC port, if that makes sense. Though, my first exposure was the Genesis/Megadrive version of Pirates! Gold, which was just fantastic. My dad later picked up the PC version of Gold, but yeah, the version on Sega was better.