Overwatch thread

Quom

So I figured I might as well do an Overwatch thread, mainly because I'm seeing posts in the PS4 and the PC threads and I really like the game so it gives me somewhere to post without feeling like I'm clogging up other threads.

Here's the latest patch notes

The newest patch looks massive and like it's going to change characters significantly. I might finally be able to use Zenyatta for more than 10 seconds without dying. Mercy is going to be much more dangerous as a boost and I might finally bother getting around to using D.Va. 

I realize why they changed the team comp in competitive (because of the Lucio/Winston/Tracer meta) but there were some legit tactics depending on what the other team had and how they were holding stuff down.

REALLY excited to try Ana. She's going to change some strats A LOT.

These are just the PTR patch notes, hard to say when it'll actually hit the main game.

Edited by apsham

A week or two supposedly (for PC, god knows for console, we still haven't had the Torb nerf they promised). Although a bad bug has already been found with Mercy and using Guardian Angel where she can hang in mid-air if a teammate is running backwards, spike the server, then end up landing with no weapon/healing beam and blood all over the edges of the screen until you go back and switch characters.

I'm kind of torn on how quick they are patching/nerfing/buffing. On console I fucking hated Torbjorn and thought he was the most ill-conceived and ridiculous hero and needed a massive nerf. Then competitive comes along, people try actually playing as a team and suddenly a 3 Torb stack have their turrets taken down in 5 seconds, the Torbs never bothered learning to git gud and suddenly you've snowballed. Personally I do think more characters should be able to solo take out a torb turret, since in effect it's a 6.5 against 6 with the turret up, even though most Torbs are shit without the turret the turret can shoot for miles with 100% accuracy. But a 30% damage nerf now seems really stupid and lazy. Surely dropping accuracy over distance, the amount of time it took to lock on, or something similar would have worked much better? I think once the nerf comes in you'll never see him again, especially since they've removed stacking for competitive which is the only time he was ever annoying anyway.

I hate that the nerf they decided to give Torbs was for damage.  I think its going to ruin him to the point that they're just going to have to re-address him in a future patch.  Would have been smarter to slow down how turret reaction time and reduce their range, and they definitely should have changed it so he needs scrap to upgrade the turret to Level 2.  

I had only used McCree for like 2 minutes because everyone was shitting on him and by the time I got the game I knew he was getting nerfed. I watched a stream of someone killing a shit ton of people using him and decided to give him a shot. I am now a massive fan which makes me happy because if someone auto-locked support and someone else auto-locked Reinhardt I wasn't feeling super comfortable in Competitive. Especially since McCree is having his normal shot buffed (part of the Ana patch).

The patch has been done and he's a bit insane now - I don't think his normal shot was really the way to go, because now Fan The Hammer is the useless skill that is hardly ever used. McCree is essentially a sniper now.

The change to the way that DVa's bullet sponge works is irking me quite a bit right now to be honest.

With Torbjorn's turret, wouldn't it have made more sense for it to have scaling damage? Ie, the closer you are the tougher it is? Would stop one of the most annoying deaths where you accidentally walk out in front of it (on the other side of the map) and it knocks you off.

Torb was fine, his turret just moved too fast.  I worry he'll be extremely useless post patch.

I can't believe the amount of shit they are doing to DVa, who was already ridiculously annoying.  She has never has to reload, has an ult you cannot actually stop, to actually eliminate her you have to kill her twice, and most of the time as soon as she ults, she immediately has a new mech.  And now she can do even more damage, her shield has less of a cool down and her ult is even harder to avoid?  Yeah, that won't make her near unstoppable or anything...

I've been having a terrible time in competition since the patch hit and I considered moving into Quick Play for a bit until I figure out how to counter her as Road Hogg now (she's useless to hook now unless the user is terrible with facing you) but then I've been seeing teams of 2-3 DVas who are absolutely neigh unstoppable and I'm actually kind of shocked that it's not being talked about more on the subreddit which made me feel like I was the only one in that boat.

I'm fine with learning to be good at things other than Road Hogg but I'm having a hard time finding a foot hold and doing that when the people I play with mostly want to do competitive.

11 hours ago, apsham said:

I don't come down as much on Torb as in most cases he's useless if the other team gets overrun and people are too stubborn to switch off him time in and time out - but a damage drop off over distance really wouldn't hurt all that much.

Console and PC are very different beasts when it comes to Torb. You guys aren't having him patched are you?

The interesting thing was that in Quick Play he has a 10% higher win-rate on PS4 than PC, but the competitive numbers were actually really similar between PC and console. I don't know if that's down to stacking him less or people actually giving a shit. But from personal experience it seems to ring true. 2+ Torbs on Quick Play is basically a loss, 2+ in Competitive had me feeling good about our chances since it feels like teams are relying on the turret and don't realise it's down and you've capped before they've readjusted. Perhaps it's just an indicator of how seriously people take one mode over the other.I'm also wondering who the fuck is meant to counter Pharah now, I know she was meant to be the pick to take out turrets but they also kept her from just dominating the skies as well as keeping her busy. I have a horrible feeling as McCree or Soldier I'm going to spend a lot of time getting shot in the face by someone on the ground because I'm shooting at a flying Pharah. 

I'm super grateful for the nerf to Symmetra's turret damage as well. 

Zen is feeling so much better post patch, I'm no longer melting people with my discord then normal attack but I can finally actually feel safe and not like I'm a Hanzo or Widowmaker shot away from death every 3 seconds. Plus people are really stupid. Zen does legit damage, if you stand in front of him at range and decide to have a shoot out  and not move you're the one going down.

Apparently there is a bug in the PS4 version where Mei's ice wall isn't coming down. This should be fun. Hopefully the fix doesn't need to go through the certification process :/. 

On 7/22/2016 at 04:38, Cactus Drags said:

I need to get back into this, my lot haven't played for a while. Anyone else on Xbox one? 

I am! But my headset is broken and I'm less than a week away from going to Norway for a couple weeks, so that's probably not helpful.

Had an amazing war of attrition in Competitive last night, an Assault game at Volskaya Industries where we finally won 5-4, which was good fun and also a reminder that I'm only much good at playing Lucio competitively after a pretty disastrous start as Roadhog.