The Robot Wars Thread

Benji

It really was a great show all around, even the usually cautious opening multi-bot battles had memorable moments like Carbide destroying the bloody arena.

I didn't mind Carbide attacking at the end of the first Apollo battle, it's not over until cease is called and there was a strong (and correct) possibility of them fighting again in the final.

I can only hope it comes back again next year with a much bigger field and hopefully the removal of the multi-bot battles to start with, 4 knockout matches leading to the league of 4 would be the better option in my opinion.

BattleBots is on Spike in the UK (Sky 160 because none of you have ever watched it), it's absolutely OTT in true American style and has analysis and commentary from noted robotics expert Kenny Florian.

Still the robots are incredibly advanced and the battles are fun.

• 3 months later...

These celebrity specials have been a thousand times better than any time they tried celebrities in the old series. Having them fight using their own bespoke robots obviously seems to make it mean a lot more to them and they all seem genuinely excited to be there and competing.

20 hours ago, Chris2K said:

These celebrity specials have been a thousand times better than any time they tried celebrities in the old series. Having them fight using their own bespoke robots obviously seems to make it mean a lot more to them and they all seem genuinely excited to be there and competing.

I only saw five minutes but I was fairly impressed by what I saw. Jeremy Corbyn looked delighted with the victory over Robbie Savage.

• 2 months later...

So... a new series started on BBC2 last night to possibly the least fanfare I can imagine, to the extent that I only realised this morning after seeing the ending when I went to watch my recording of Top Gear.

Best get iPlayer started up then.

Episode 2 was full of great battles, terrible judging decisions and a team captain storming out because his team over-ruled him and they lost because of it! Well worth a watch.

But how on earth...

PP3D didn't win the battle where they threw Cherub across the arena so hard it BROKE THE WALL

... is beyond me.

It was also great that

A flipper dominated the competition instead of the constant, endless amount of spinners

Spoiler

I'm still trying to with out the Cherub over PP3D decision. The only thing that comes to mind is that as the final move incapacitated both robots the judges opted to only consider everything that happened prior to it. Not that I'd agree with the decision either way. 

I'm also not convinced by the arena flipper situation. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...