Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 Review

VerbalPuke

So I just bought Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 in the last few weeks. I found out my PS3 could play PS1 games (only took me seven years....). So naturally I went to see how much those games were and I had both for a total of ten dollars, can't beat that price. 

I'm going to review both. I'll probably review a few more PS1 games as time goes on, thinking Die Hard Triology, Destruction Derby, GTA, WCW vs. the World, and Bushido Blade 1 and 2. Kind of a weird assortment of games but those are the ones I know and love the best. 

So anyway...

Tony Hawk Pro Skater: 

You know what? I've never written a review of anything. That's a lie, but I'm not sure how to approach this so just follow along. 

Tony Hawk Pro Skater came out in 1999, it was kind of a different thing for it's time, not a lot of skateboarding games were around in those days. They had made them previously but never as awesome as Tony Hawk Pro Skater (oh shit, did I spoil my final rating?). 

Synopsis: You're a pro skater and you skate. 

Controls: Actually pretty simple, but in a good way. It's a very easy game to pick up and play, the controller layout is really fucking easy to figure out, nothing too stupid or complex. You have a variety of grab tricks, grind tricks, and kick flip tricks as well as three specials for each skater which are easy to pull off. 

Eh...and I'm done with the format. So yeah, you get these different areas you can skate in such as a warehouse, school, mall, and skate parks. Just about everything can be used for tricks, even the fucking walls are half pipes! There is a nice variety of skateboarders to choose from as well, while Tony Hawk is the main guy of this they certainly didn't skimp out on other known skateboarders such as Bob Burnquist, Chad Muska, and my favorite Jamie Thomas. 

What is the replay value? Sky fucking high like my fucking 720 Behina Over the Half Pipe Through the Secret Room Onto the Rail Doing my special rail grind and around for a 50,000 point combo. Yeah, this game is still fucking ridiculously fun and addicting, it's very easy to just lose track of time because you're just fucking off skating. It's unrealistic as hell, but that's part of the fun, you realistic cocks can have Skate, give me Tony Hawk. I want to grind on the rails in the rafters and back flip off of them. I will say that the controls are a little bit loose and you sometimes can feel like your skater is flying out of control, no big deal though. 

And of course...the music. I have to talk about the music as that is a very important part of this game. I think a lot of people that remember this game can't help but associate it with stuff like Goldfinger, Suicide Machines, and of course Primus. Personally, my favorite three tracks come in order those being Dead Kennedys - Police Truck, Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver, and Unsane - Committed. That's fucking legit, those are three of my favorite bands ever. 

There is other stuff to talk about, but I covered the important stuff. The options for the game are Free Skate (just skate forever), single session (timed session), and career mode (collect tapes, score points, unlock shit). Also a two player mode that my friend and I played the shit out of as teenagers, lots of fun even with a split screen. 

Ok now for number 2. 

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2: 

It's basically the same with tighter controls, more skaters, and a shittier soundtrack. 

I rate both games a 7 out of 7. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

So I just bought Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 in the last few weeks. I found out my PS3 could play PS1 games (only took me seven years....). So naturally I went to see how much those games were and I had both for a total of ten dollars, can't beat that price. 

I'm going to review both. I'll probably review a few more PS1 games as time goes on, thinking Die Hard Triology, Destruction Derby, GTA, WCW vs. the World, and Bushido Blade 1 and 2. Kind of a weird assortment of games but those are the ones I know and love the best. 

So anyway...

Tony Hawk Pro Skater: 

You know what? I've never written a review of anything. That's a lie, but I'm not sure how to approach this so just follow along. 

Tony Hawk Pro Skater came out in 1999, it was kind of a different thing for it's time, not a lot of skateboarding games were around in those days. They had made them previously but never as awesome as Tony Hawk Pro Skater (oh shit, did I spoil my final rating?). 

Synopsis: You're a pro skater and you skate. 

Controls: Actually pretty simple, but in a good way. It's a very easy game to pick up and play, the controller layout is really fucking easy to figure out, nothing too stupid or complex. You have a variety of grab tricks, grind tricks, and kick flip tricks as well as three specials for each skater which are easy to pull off. 

Eh...and I'm done with the format. So yeah, you get these different areas you can skate in such as a warehouse, school, mall, and skate parks. Just about everything can be used for tricks, even the fucking walls are half pipes! There is a nice variety of skateboarders to choose from as well, while Tony Hawk is the main guy of this they certainly didn't skimp out on other known skateboarders such as Bob Burnquist, Chad Muska, and my favorite Jamie Thomas. 

What is the replay value? Sky fucking high like my fucking 720 Behina Over the Half Pipe Through the Secret Room Onto the Rail Doing my special rail grind and around for a 50,000 point combo. Yeah, this game is still fucking ridiculously fun and addicting, it's very easy to just lose track of time because you're just fucking off skating. It's unrealistic as hell, but that's part of the fun, you realistic cocks can have Skate, give me Tony Hawk. I want to grind on the rails in the rafters and back flip off of them. I will say that the controls are a little bit loose and you sometimes can feel like your skater is flying out of control, no big deal though. 

And of course...the music. I have to talk about the music as that is a very important part of this game. I think a lot of people that remember this game can't help but associate it with stuff like Goldfinger, Suicide Machines, and of course Primus. Personally, my favorite three tracks come in order those being Dead Kennedys - Police Truck, Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver, and Unsane - Committed. That's fucking legit, those are three of my favorite bands ever. 

There is other stuff to talk about, but I covered the important stuff. The options for the game are Free Skate (just skate forever), single session (timed session), and career mode (collect tapes, score points, unlock shit). Also a two player mode that my friend and I played the shit out of as teenagers, lots of fun even with a split screen. 

Ok now for number 2. 

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2: 

It's basically the same with tighter controls, more skaters, and a shittier soundtrack. 

I rate both games a 7 out of 7. 

Whoa now.  Bad Religion, Naughty By Nature, Anthrax & Public Enemy, RATM, Millincolin, Lagwagon, Swingin Utters...while not AS awesome as THPS, 2 had a freakin GREAT soundtrack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Whoa now.  Bad Religion, Naughty By Nature, Anthrax & Public Enemy, RATM, Millincolin, Lagwagon, Swingin Utters...while not AS awesome as THPS, 2 had a freakin GREAT soundtrack

Consumed and Dub Pistols aren't exactly crap :P

I always liked Superman and Cyco Vision. It seems like 9 times out of 10 whenever I started THPS the first song I heard was Superman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Street Sk8ter for life.

Try reviewing Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. That was so much different from THPS.

I'm definitely more a street skater in THPS. I'm constantly grinding into and out of combos, and don't hit the half pipe at the same. I do use it for safe and easy points when I'm in one of those competitions. 

My favorite level in either game is the first level of the first game. It's simple, but has a nice set up for a big combo (over the half pipe, through the room, hit the rail, continue grinding on half pipe, throw in a kick flip/special grind/special over over the half pipe). 

I've never played 3 but did play 4 some and it was also pretty fun. Nothing like the first two though. 

Oh, and THPS2 has a demo for Matt Hoffman BMX which I get mixed up with Dave Mirra. 

7 hours ago, Colly said:

Silly question, but when you says PS3 can play PS1 games is that through the store or with the discs? Or both?

As already mentioned they are in the PSN store as PS one Classics but you can run the discs in the console, you do have to set up an internal memory card on the PS3 to save games.

Back on topic I loved all the THPS games even up to THAW, nothing matches 1 and 2 though, and I always made sure to put the right tunes on!