EWB Game of the Year 2016: Discussion Thread

Benji

Second game I'll probably consider for my personal GOTY is one that's a couple of years old, but I only played this year.

Tales from the Borderlands (final episode released Oct 20, 2015 and available on all modern gaming platforms except Nintendo systems and Sony handhelds) is probably the most downright fun I've had from a Telltale game. Whilst others were great for drama, this had drama and comedy in abundance. As far as Telltale post-Walking Dead goes, this and Wolf Among Us will probably wind up the forgotten games, but it's one that will deserve the cult status it and TWAU will almost certainly wind up with. Some sequences are great, but my personal favourite has to be this (some story spoilers, and spoilers for the most unexpected and fun sequences in the game - you have been warned!):

Spoiler

On 11/10/2016 at 13:42, Jericode said:

TACHANKA BE PRAISED!

I can honestly only remember about six games ive played this year off the top of my head right now, so whilst Siege is my current winner I may well post back here in a few hours and change my mind.

Yeah fuck changing my mind, Siege is the bomb.

14 hours ago, Fly the W! said:

I can't think of anything :( I've had trouble getting 10 for the list before but I've never had trouble gettin 1

How about MLB 16: The Show?

As for me, I'm always behind on these things, so I have very little to choose from. It'll have to be XCOM 2, which I consider to be a good follow-up to one of my favourite games of this decade. It's more challenging than its predecessor, but the greater mission variety and Steam Workshop support are very welcome additions. The game's biggest downside is probably its story, which was largely forgettable, but that didn't bother me because the gameplay itself was just as tense and engaging as I hoped it would be.

If you guys haven't tried out This Is The Police on Steam, then you really should. A fantasic sort of resource management game, except with a somewhat gritty narrative.

For me, I've gotta say Battlefield 1. Out of everything I've played this year it's about the only game that's as fun and intense when I'm losing as when I'm winning. Aside from that, I can't really think of anything I've found to be utterly fantastic or really surprising except Motorsport Manager and Rocket League (XBox One release), which are both.

Fifa and Football Manager have been disappointments. I went into PES with the expectation of a great game lacking in licenses and that was what it was.

Going down the list on wiki of games released this year that I've actually played:

• Punch Club was too much of a grind.
  • XCOM 2 didn't grab me for whatever reason like XCOM 1 did.
  • The Division was a massive disappointment.
  • DC Universe Online was good, but its just a mmo skinned with DC characters and suffers from the worst thing mmos can suffer from: repetition.
  • Stellaris I enjoyed but its not a game I could sit down and play for hours and hours, which is what I was hoping for - CK2 in space, essentially.
  • Pokemon Go was amazing for about 3 weeks, but I don't live in a place where the variation was enough to keep me or my friends into the game.
  • Madden 17 continued the trend of not being better than their versions from a decade agol.
  • Star Trek Online got an XBox One (and PS4) release but not being able to use stuff you've spent actual money on in the PC version in the XBO one was bad.
  • NBA 2k17 was probably the best traditional (i.e. not Rocket League) sports game of the year.

I'm yet to play Call of Duty Infinite Warfare but I assume it'll have an entertaining campaign but no one will be playing multiplayer because of COD4.