EWB Game of the Year 2016: Discussion Thread

Benji

So we're into the last couple of months before 2017, and whilst there's still a few big games to go, I thought it'd be nice to have some discussion on our individual games of the year before we do voting in December/January. I think with the way gaming has changed, if I'm the one to do the voting thread this year then I will probably open it up to any game people have played this year, so it's their personal "Game of the Year" as a lot of people buy second hand, in sales, or discover great games years after original release.

With that in mind, I think Rainbow Six: Siege (released December 1, 2015 for PS4, XB1 and PC) might be amongst my GOTY contenders. A few of us bought it on something of a whim because we wanted a new multi game. I'm not a fan of FPS shooters, but Siege adds a lot of strategic elements to FPS' that I did not expect, and I can honestly say it is one of my most played games this year. It's a game that really rewards team work and understanding how one another plays the game, and though it's still got some bugs and flaws that need to be ironed out, the fact Ubisoft have said they're supporting it into a second season instead of just releasing a "Siege 2" really makes me optimistic that this is a game I will be playing for a long time to come.

PS: PRAISE LORD TACHANKA!

• Like 1

As ever, I've played very few titles released this year so by default mine will probably be Dead Rising 4 when it comes out in a few weeks. Speaking of which, I've only recently found out they did a second movie for DR. Need to check that out at some point...

• Like 3

For me it's got to be Uncharted 4. Amazing graphics, game play is good and the story is good. 

Ratchet and Clank would be a close second as it was fun to play, colourful and brought back memories of playing the original game. 

I'd probably go with Deus Ex Mankind Divided as 3rd as although I loved the game I felt the ending was a bit of a letdown. 

• Like 1

Man, I didn't play many games released in 2016 and I didn't play any of the big budget releases. Everything I've bought from 2016 has been Early Access or indie games. I think my list of games I bought from 2016 is No Man's Sky, Oxenfree, Dead for Daylight, The Culling, Tricky Towers and GoNNER. I haven't played Oxenfree yet, but of those bunch I would probably give it to Dead for Daylight. 

• Like 1

Some of the games I've played this year:

-World Of Final Fantasy

-Hitman

-League of Legends (season 6)

-No Man's Sky (eww)

-Fire Emblem Fates

-XCOM 2

-Overwatch

-Skyrim: Remastered

-Civilization 6

-Punch club

-Dragon's Dogma: DarkArisen

-Final Fantasy 9

-Danganronpa

Bolded are the I would consider for the top spot.

And soon: Dishonored 2 and Final Fantasy XV. I think those two will be fun. 

• Like 1

Telltale Batman.

• Like 1