Shows most people probably haven't watched but should

Benji

BoJack Horseman is not at all what I expected it to be going in, and it is absolutely glorious. It takes a little while to really get into a groove, but it blew me away once it did. Give it at least half a season before passing judgment, because the first few episodes are a bit rough but still important as far as establishing the primary characters.

• Like 2

On 03/29/2017 at 20:24, MDK said:

Those were some of the last good shows before British comedy got a bit shit. Its just coincidental that I got older at the time. And I cant tell if I like or hate Darkplace. 

I don't think that's really true (barring the obvious loss of Armando Iannucci to America), it's just that the Beeb now bury anything decent on BBC3 and 4 whilst showing utter shite on BBC1. Nothings particularly changed as most of the shows listed in this thread were on BBC2, it's just that they don't advertise 3 and 4 in the same way.

Case in point the utter fluke that I saw through Twitter that BBC4 did a tribute to Brian Pern last night, and I'd encourage everyone to watch it on iplayer and try to find the previous stuff if available anywhere. Ridiculous really, last nights had Michael Douglas, Elton John, Paul McCartney and others guesting yet still seemingly didn't get an advert on normal BBC.

• Like 1

There was a six episode series on Channel 4 about eight years or so back called Sirens. It was about a group of ambulance workers who basically always found themselves in weird situations. I think Kaney was the only other person I know who watched it. Only six episodes, but the episode "I.C.E." sticks with me to this day. It also starred Richard "Robb Stark" Madden, mere months before GoT started.

It had an American remake that I never bothered to watch.

• Like 2

I don't know why they come to mind but Paul Abbott's early work is great. Abbott more famously did/does Shameless, but Clocking Off was a great comedy drama that was very much the precursor to Shameless, and State of Play is criminally underrated despite its adaptation into a movie.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Benji said:

There was a six episode series on Channel 4 about eight years or so back called Sirens. It was about a group of ambulance workers who basically always found themselves in weird situations. I think Kaney was the only other person I know who watched it. Only six episodes, but the episode "I.C.E." sticks with me to this day. It also starred Richard "Robb Stark" Madden, mere months before GoT started.

It had an American remake that I never bothered to watch.

Sirens was great, yeah. I haven't seen the American one either but it's supposed to be based on a blog an actual paramedic wrote about his absurd job. Might need to watch that again soon, wonder if it's still online somewhere.

Steven Universe! A fantastic show. It crams a lot of content into just 10 minute episodes....emotional, funny, great story, and fantastic songs. 

Gravity Falls! An interesting Disney cartoon about two siblings who go to spend their summer vacation at their Great Uncles's. What follows is a series of comedy and mystery! 

• Like 2

Dunno it has been mentioned yet. A touch of cloth is one of the most amusing cop-spoof series made in years. And it's written by Charlie Brooker, who has also written Black Mirror.

It's basically a three season, 6 episode (total) satire of police procedurals, a bit in the vein of Police Squad!, with rapidfire sight gags, puns, toilet humour, deliberately dated references, and all other kinds of foolery going on. I've watched it multiple times, and it keeps having a few jokes I never noticed before, whether in the background or with the way the characters word certain phrases. It's chock-ful of humour, and it's just another example of Charlie Brooker's writing brilliance.

Main character is played by John Hannah, who is brilliant in the role of Scottish DCI (because they have to be scots), and it also has a few recognizable players like Stephen Dillane (Stannis), Karen Gillan (Dr. Who, GOTG), Todd Carty (as himself)

Every season is 2 episodes of one hour, and it's really a must watch if you love good comedy.

• Like 4

On 02/04/2017 at 08:01, Ruki said:

Steven Universe! A fantastic show. It crams a lot of content into just 10 minute episodes....emotional, funny, great story, and fantastic songs. 

I cannot disagree more strongly and this is why we need to bring back the dislike button 

On 30/03/2017 at 15:43, Rich said:

Early Doors is an early 2000's UK comedy I love, really low key jokes and humour.

Yes.

Honestly, you have to watch the entire series for it to hit home, but what they do for the thick/annoying couple at one point always has me in tears when it gets to that point.

Moral Orel went places in season 2 that I was not expecting and season 3 is an absolute gut-punch of a roller coaster ride. Also episodes are like ten minutes each.

Also, Brockmire is two episodes in and Hank Azaria is a comedic genius.

• Like 1