Shows most people probably haven't watched but should

Benji

I'd pick Avatar: The Last Airbender. I imagine most people dismiss it because it's a cartoon which was geared towards kids, but it's actually one of the best told stories I've ever seen. It starts off a little slow, but it picks up pace as the show goes on with near perfect increase in tension and stakes, and arcs into one of my favourite finales ever.

It has the best character development for a single character I have seen in any show for any intended audience, and the other characters all go through good levels of development. It balances drama and comedy extremely well, and out of the seven regular characters there's not a bad one among them, there's obvious characters who have more comedy than others, but they all get their own humour and drama, which is something very few shows manage.

To add to that, the world is both unique and extremely familiar, it's a great example of world building and there's clear distinct inspired cultures throughout the various nations/tribes, but all hold a level of similarity so they don't just seem like "we're different because the writing called for it".

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to spend 20-30 hours, you could do significantly worse than A:TLA.

• Like 6

Monkey Dust was so dark. I haven't watched it in years but the bits that stick out are the cyclists, rebranding God as Dave (or something) and the murderer with the bouncy thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I'd pick Avatar: The Last Airbender. I imagine most people dismiss it because it's a cartoon which was geared towards kids, but it's actually one of the best told stories I've ever seen. It starts off a little slow, but it picks up pace as the show goes on with near perfect increase in tension and stakes, and arcs into one of my favourite finales ever.

It has the best character development for a single character I have seen in any show for any intended audience, and the other characters all go through good levels of development. It balances drama and comedy extremely well, and out of the seven regular characters there's not a bad one among them, there's obvious characters who have more comedy than others, but they all get their own humour and drama, which is something very few shows manage.

To add to that, the world is both unique and extremely familiar, it's a great example of world building and there's clear distinct inspired cultures throughout the various nations/tribes, but all hold a level of similarity so they don't just seem like "we're different because the writing called for it".

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to spend 20-30 hours, you could do significantly worse than A:TLA.

I think I love you :wub:. Iroh's segment in Tales of Ba Sing Se still=:(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colly said:

I'd say Nathan Barley has a similar situation, had it come out 3-5 years later when people were familiar with the twats it parodied it would've been far more popular. Great show looking back.

Oh God, Nathan Barley was so on the nose it wasn't funny. It was funny, don't get me wrong, but fuck me that show is the exact reason I hate where I grew up.

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

I watched the first series and then never bothered with the rest. Which is apparently when it got really good.

Yup.

Other comedies that are great: Time TrumpetBig Train, The Peter Serafinowicz Show, Look Around You. And, although it gained a sizeable following in the years after it aired, still not enough people have seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

And another animated one, which I must warn I've not seen since it aired so 29 year old me may realise 16 year old me was a fucking idiot: Fillmore. The writing on that show for a Disney animated series was impeccable. At least, that's how I remember it anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MDK said:

I watched the first series and then never bothered with the rest. Which is apparently when it got really good.

The first season was an office ripoff, and many of the characters lacked the parts that made them unique and enjoyable. Season 2 is when they actually started to find their formula.

At least, that's what I heard, because I never got past episode 1

Just now, GA! said:

And, although it gained a sizeable following in the years after it aired, still not enough people have seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Oh god yes, this show is just so stupidly funny. It's a hallmark of satire and the best example of great actors acting like shit actors.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Just now, GA! said:

Other comedies that are great: Time TrumpetBig Train, The Peter Serafinowicz Show, Look Around You. And, although it gained a sizeable following in the years after it aired, still not enough people have seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Those were some of the last good shows before British comedy got a bit shit. Its just coincidental that I got older at the time. And I cant tell if I like or hate Darkplace. 

28 minutes ago, MDK said:

The rest of the show is so much better than the first series. So much better.

Just now, MDK said:

I've made my bed, mate

PLEASE. Seriously, the first series is so bad compared to the rest that it's one of my favourite shows and yet I still refuse to watch the first series because it's BAD.

1 minute ago, Owen said:

PLEASE. Seriously, the first series is so bad compared to the rest that it's one of my favourite shows and yet I still refuse to watch the first series because it's BAD.

YOU AREN'T MY REAL MUM