EWB's Top 32 Movies of 2016: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Yep, as always it's the end of March, which means that I have finished tallying the votes for EWB's Favorite Movie in a timely fashion, as always!

wait

*looks at calendar*

Shit. Better get on with it.

pkrOsOJ.jpg

31 (tie). The Handmaiden (9 points, appeared on two ballots)

GSfJ52e.png

31 (tie). Jackie (9 points, appeared on two ballots)

j4HFR2x.png

28 (tie). Ghostbusters (10 points, appeared on two ballots)

eH9umDD.png

28 (tie). Toni Erdmann (10 points, appeared on two ballots)

xPuu5rC.png

28 (tie). 10 Cloverfield Lane (10 points, appeared on two ballots)

NajAdXi.png

27. Paterson (10 points, appeared on three ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 32 Movies of 2016: It's equal rights. I have the right to see fine in every color.

• Like 4

*Talking Heads intensifies*

JPEkxwp.png

26. 20th Century Women (11 points, appeared on four ballots)

mgV33da.png

25. Silence (13 points, appeared on three ballots)

V7RyDmY.jpg

23 (tie). Certain Women (14 points, appeared on two ballots)

MMWbjTH.jpg

23 (tie). Hidden Figures (14 points, appeared on two ballots)

E5QyRVQ.png

22. 13th (14 points, appeared on three ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 32 Movies of 2016: Would that it were so simple.

• Like 1

A lot of the films I really liked have already cropped up already, pretty sure half of my list. 

Would really encourage people to give Toni Erdmann a watch, it's just brilliant, both hilarious and moving. I was absolutely blown away by it - and if you get the chance somehow - so worth watching with an audience. Silence, Certain Women, Paterson and 20th Century Women are all beautiful films in their own right too and would probably skip a lot of people's radars. 

Watched Silence last week and loved it (probably in part because of my own experience having grown up around Jesuits and ignatian spirituality.) If I had watched it before making my ballot, it probably would've taken my number 10 slot (sorry 20th Century Women).

Certain Women got high on my ballot mainly on the strength of the third act w/ Kristen Stewart and Lily Gladstone.

I would've wanted The Handmaiden to place higher, but I'm just glad it made it at all. Probably my favorite Park Chan-Wook movie, although I've only watched 3, so take that with a grain of salt.

It really is wonderful. It snuck into my top ten, and I really thought Zootopia would not be budged.

The Handmaiden is amazing, done extremely well and quite unlike any other film last year.

Natalie Portman's performance in Jackie, by that surreal score, made it an excellent film and I'm glad I didn't skip it like I thought I might.

Paterson is a really sweet, simple film that I really loved.

20th Century Women, like I said, just suddenly crept up on me on how good it was.

Certain Women was a complete dud for me, such a slog to get through.

Silence was epic. The cinematography, the score, the close-ups, the two leads, incredible stuff.

Hidden Figures was really quaint. I don't see how it's getting the immense hype it's getting, didn't think it deserved to be in any top 2016 films list myself, but I really liked it.

13th made me change the way I think about a lot of things regarding America, their views on race, the prison system and even the way I myself think about the justice system and how it should work. Highly recommended, and not done in the regular documentary style, either.

Haven't seen the rest, don't feel like I've missed out. Toni Erdmann, maybe, but it's three hours long and I don't know if I can ever get around to it.

3 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I could go back and do my own research, but have we seen a documentary make the list in previous years?

Exit Through the Gift Shop did. I can't confirm any others without looking back, but that one definitely just barely made the cut a few years ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Exit Through the Gift Shop is pretty good. I wondered if Searching for Sugarman would have made it. That doc was pretty popular when it came out. 

Just checked. It finished 16th, above the likes of Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and, uh, Ted.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2017 at 02:48, Jericode said:

How can you not have watched a single other film? What do you do with your time?

I lie, Deadpool was also a 2016 film that I saw. Also, the only Marvel film I've ever seen. 

I write a lot, so I consume music more than TV/films generally, because I can't focus on watching stuff whilst doing other stuff. 

And I have a short attention span. 

we're going all over the place on this one, buckle in.

eO4jKrH.png

20 (tie). The Magnificent Seven (15 points, appeared on three ballots)

gN160qa.png

20 (tie). Hail, Caesar! (15 points, appeared on three ballots)

qkw5scK.png

19. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (16 points, appeared on three ballots)

ImecWfY.png

18. The VVitch (17 points, appeared on four ballots)

Q4UgvDy.png

16 (tie). Suicide Squad (20 points, appeared on three ballots)

DZWZs72.png

16 (tie). American Honey (20 points, appeared on three ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 32 Films of 2016: ♫ Nazi punks/ Nazi punks / Nazi punks/ FUCK OFF! ♫

14 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Just checked. It finished 16th, above the likes of Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and, uh, Ted.

Feel like Act of Killing would have as well? 

Aw, was hoping American Honey might edge higher, not only my favourite film of the year, but one I feel like I'll be re-visiting for years to come - it's mesmerising, Andrea Arnold is amazing. 

Oh man, I think I liked the Magnificent Seven? What a forgettable movie, honestly can't remember a thing about it.

Hail, Caesar! was damn fun, perhaps a bit too overhyped in my head which made it a bit disappointing for me, but I might need to rewatch it again.

The VVitch actually sounds like it might be a good time when a friend of mind described it to me, but I really don't have any urge to watch horror movies.

Suicide Squad is all-around a pretty goddamn terrible mess. Better than Dawn of Justice, though, which is like a jar of urine.

American Honey was super disappointing. Overly long and unfocused for me.