EWB's Top 32 Movies of 2016: The Results

GoGo Yubari

That was the thing with Magnificent Seven, it made my list and I've seen it a few times now yet aside from a couple of the set pieces it just "was". It's not exactly a cinematic masterpiece but it was enjoyable. Retrospectively, I think I could have missed it off if I wrote down everything I saw and rated them but it stuck in a "I quite enjoyed that" way when I was making the list.

I enjoyed it. I mean, it wasn't the worst Superhero movie I'd seen and while I'm usually partial to Marvel over DC, I actually thought it was fun. Some of the performances were pretty good, from an acting POV, and the only real criticism I have is that I'd have liked to see a darker / more of Joker & Harley. 

It was never a film to be taken to seriously to begin with. 

It's only a film to be watched by idiots like me who want to watch everything that is in a shared universe. It really shouldn't be watched for anything other than completion's sake.

Because seriously, fuck that mess of a film. How the fuck it got twenty points is beyond me.

Jesus, Dawn of Justice is going to be higher, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Because seriously, fuck that mess of a film. How the fuck it got twenty points is beyond me.

Someone (Hammy?) only saw three films so it made their list by default and with a pretty good bias added to it. Only logical reasoning.

It wasn't quite as bad as I feared and I found myself able to sit through on DVD as well but oh it could have been so much more. It didn't really know what it wanted to be, while it should have been DC's Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool (not quite as much on the language stakes for the latter obviously), the lighter side of their cinematic universe it instead just became middle of the road where the humour felt forced when with Suicide Squad it should have been the driving element. I don't hate it with a passion but I'm not that fussed about watching it.

Honestly, if this were a couple years ago Dawn of Justice and X-Men: Apocalypse would have also made the list regardless of the fact that those also shouldn't have been there. I'm happy that the one superhero movie whose inclusion is a huge reach is the hot mess one, compared to the abject failure on every level one and the one that's barely moved past where superhero movies were fifteen years ago.

• Like 1

The VVitch is very well shot/made, but is damned slow. There's a few neat bits, but I don't think it deserved the near universal acclaim it received.

I like slow, creeping dread horror movies myself, but I also never saw that one in full so I'm one to talk. I only ever watch one new horror movie a year, it feels like. And speaking of, it's in this batch.

b2rz4nj.png

15. Nocturnal Animals (20 points, appeared on four ballots)

1htZjP6.png

14. Moana (25 points, appeared on four ballots)

5ZH4QNj.png

13. Green Room (26 points, appeared on six ballots)

kiPmyCH.png

12. Kubo and the Two Strings (31 points, appeared on four ballots)

acb9J0q.png

11. Doctor Strange (33 points, appeared on six ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 32 Films of 2016: I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time this asshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no goddamned trout.

• Like 1

It's interesting that my viewing habits have skewed more populist in recent years because I've barely seen any of the movies on the list so far. However, Green Room is great and Doctor Strange is super fun so a nice batch for me. 

I'm mostly sad because I know the movie quoted in the preview and it should be way higher, though. :(

Eh, I think top ten is a pretty good shout for that movie.

That's a good batch of films, but Moana and maybe Kubo are way too low. Both were awesome movies. Nocturnal Animals is only half good, and Green Room is kinda' overrated in my opinion.

Kubo was my number one for the year. I fell in love with everything about it, the animation, the music and the story all came together brilliantly. It made me laugh and drew me in emotionally in equal measure. It's a shame more people haven't seen it but given how few TV adverts I saw for it I don't think it was particularly well received at the box office in the end. To see it just edge Moana (itself a very, very good animation this year. Three really good ones this year that would've stood out almost any other year) and come just off the top 10 is a nice surprise.

Kubo should be way higher. Green Room and Doctor Strange were really good, though probably at the correct levels in this list. I've not see Moana, but heard good things.

7 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Eh, I think top ten is a pretty good shout for that movie.

That's a good batch of films, but Moana and maybe Kubo are way too low. Both were awesome movies. Nocturnal Animals is only half good, and Green Room is kinda' overrated in my opinion.

I was hoping for a top 5 finish for it. It's my number 2 this year.

yeah, it was one of my top two for the year too. Would have liked it higher but, y'know.

not this one, I mean, the next one.

G11NcOA.png

10. Manchester By the Sea (43 points, appeared on five ballots)

Sxo7Kxr.png

9. Hell or High Water (45 points, appeared on seven ballots)

W3xYu6W.png

8. Zootopia (45 points, appeared on eight ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 32 Movies of 2016: Don't say "and stuff." Just say "they're doing anal."

• Like 1

Zootopia was good, possibly very good in places, but not on a par with Kubo >_>

Hell or High Water was really cool, and I've heard great things about Manchester-by-the-Sea.

• Like 1

Zootopia being so high makes me happy. Feel like if the film had came out later in the year I would have remembered how much I loved it and snuck it into my list somehow.

Still don't know how I feel about Manchester by the Sea.