Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry's only scored two away goals this season hasn't he?

His attitude in defeat can stink a little too (understandably as he seems to hate to play badly!) Yesterday he just left the pitch rather than applauding the away fans who'd made the trek north. I know that upset a lot of the fans who were at the game who called into the radio.

As to who to give the captaincy to though....That's kinda a problem...

There's a reason not to give it to everybody in the squad, Lehmann can't be trusted to keep his cool, Sol has been wandering recently, Gilberto doesn't always deliver, Toure's too young.

I think Wenger should've just given somebody with proper leadership qualities a chance. Vieira had a discipline problem, Tony Adams had a drink problem but you give them a chance and they come through. Playing it safe with Henry doesn't work for us, as I've said he's not a leader in the same way Vieira and Adams were.

As long as Henry stays with us he'll be captain, I think it could be undermining to demote him and Wenger won't want to risk upsetting him. If it was my choice I'd consider Ashley Cole if he stays, he's probably the one person who could take it from Henry without Henry getting annoyed, being that Cole's come through the youth system and all. I would give Kolo Toure the nod in the future though, he's already a good defender and leads the back (or at least the current young back four).

How about Ljungberg? He's one of the most senior player in your squad and did unbelievably well as captain for Sweden when Mellberg was out. I'd think he'd be a fine option.

If not, you always have Cygan >_>

Edited by Ritzy

I was surprised Toure is nearly 25, I thought he was younger than that by a couple of years.

There was a talk on Soccer Saturday prior to the games today and I think they hit the nail on the head. We've all grown to love the likes of Pires, Gilberto and Ljungberg, but the fact is a lot of them don't perform like they used to. Because they were big stars (and can be now and again now) I'm like most people and reluctant to see them go. But I think we should just face it that these players aren't good enough any more and buy newer, younger (ideally still established players) and better players.

If we could get a decent fee for any of those kinds of players I think we should let them go. We need a balance between young and old but a few of the senior members of the squad aren't the players they used to be and don't influence others or set that good an example.

If he was ever going to step out on his own, rather than be "the other midfielder" alongside Vieira or somebody else this was the year and he hasn't. I'd say his worst apprearances actually came when he captained the side in the cup. I know we're still clinging to the hope of nicking 4th from Spurs but I'd rather see Diaby get some experience in the league than see Gilberto keep turning in below average performances, at least we'd be getting something out of this miserable year.

The big game is tonight, a draw would be a good result for us, even a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world if we can get a goal to take back to Highbury. Glad to see Reyes is back, I've appreciated his contribution a lot more since he got injured, our midfield's been lifeless without him in it.

This is awesome, I cant belive were beating Real Madrid 1-0 at their place aswell. Im not gonna get too ahead of meself though, they could easily pull one back, and still could win.

Good stuff so far though.

In an ideal world we would have wanted to have avoid losing, keep a clean sheet and score - to do all of those is a great achievement for us. I think the big difference was that every single player wanted this tonight and they played as though their season was depending it. They have to do the same thing away to Blackburn as well.

I'd put it up with Inter Milan in terms of effort, not quite as good a result. Still, the job's only half done.

I will say I wasn't impressed with Real at all. Zidane looks like he's lost his spark, Ronaldo is clearly disillusioned and the defence may be the only one in Europe worse than ours without Woodgate (shame he didn't get to feature tonight). Everyone played their part tonight, perfect first leg.

The passion was there tonight and it was there by the barrel load. So many players had so much belief. Hleb was simply amazing. Fabregas played possiby the best I've ever seen him play. Lehmann had a fantastic game. Eboue performed better than any of the Madrid defenders. Senderos was like a rock. Ljungberg and Reyes played amazingly well as supporting players to Henry. Gilberto looked like a worthwhile replacement for Vieira. Flamini played fantastically even though he was out of position. Henry led from the front like only he can.

I could go on and on and on.

One thing is clear......that was the Arsenal of a few years ago. Let's hope they stick around....

Guest muddatrucker

Brilliant match, but its not over yet, I was surprised by just how many of our passes evaded their shitty defence, alot of good performances from alot of players, Ljungberg, Reyes, Hleb, Fabregas, Henry being the cream of the crop.

Come on Highbury.