Arsenal Thread

TMM

As bad as Arsenal were, I have to give credit to Craig Bellamy - he was shit hot yesterday.

Long ball tactics aren't really the problem, it's just any team with a strong midfield can really get stuck in to Arsenal - something Madrid don't really have. I don't understand the decision to take Diaby off instead of Silva though, Silva is woeful.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this season is over it would make sense to let the younger or newer players play some games and get experience. Although not much about Arsenal seems to make sense at the moment. Players like Diaby, Hleb, Adebayor, Eboue, Gilbert (when fit) and Flamini (although him to a lesser extent) might as well play the majority of the games left - the established players haven't done much and a few more defeats along the way won't make much of a change if that's what happens.

If we turn out another good performance against Real Madrid, and I think we will, then Wenger needs to realise that there's a motivation problem. I for one would have the squad watching the cup final that's on now so that they can see the opportunity they threw away. A good few in our squad have never won anything, even more have only had the FA Cup last year. If they had a bit more fight and will to win it would be different and they might be playing at a big stadium, against Man United, winning medals.

Edited by supergrass

That must be the most galling thing for you. You can say what you want about injuries, Viera being sold, Campbell going off-the-boil. But to have the players 'not being interested' (as it seems the general consensus of opinion on here is) must be the worst. And it doesn't look like ending anytime soon. Ah well. Pires will more than likely beat most of our defence and score the winning goal against our lot (Spurs) when we meet up for the last N.London derby at Highbury, like he always does. Should put a smile on your faces.

Footballer Cole sues newspapers

Arsenal and England full-back Ashley Cole is suing two national newspapers for libel amid claims about the sexuality of two unnamed footballers.

Internet rumours spread after the News Of The World and the Sun printed allegations about two top players.

Cole's lawyer has issued writs against the papers, claiming "libel, harassment and breach of privacy".

Solicitor Graham Shear said it was "disgraceful" that the England star should face "insinuation and innuendo".

The articles contained broad hints as to the footballers' identity and have generated much discussion in chatrooms.

Ashley Cole will not tolerate this kind of cowardly journalism or let it go unchallenged

Graham Shear

Cole's lawyer

In a statement, Mr Shear said: "These proceedings were commenced because these newspapers published false and offensive articles designed to tell readers that Ashley had behaved in what the News of the World described as a 'perverted' way with other professional footballers.

"The newspapers knew there was no basis to name Ashley but arranged the articles and pictures in such a way that readers would identify him.

"There is no truth whatever in these allegations. Ashley Cole will not tolerate this kind of cowardly journalism or let it go unchallenged.

"It is disgraceful that he should be faced with this kind of unpleasant insinuation and innuendo at a time when he is trying to focus on this summer's World Cup and his forthcoming wedding."

Chatroom gossip

The case is being seen as a landmark case by many lawyers as it would test how the libel law deals with allegations made against unnamed individuals.

Libel lawyer Caroline Kean, from media firm Wiggin, said the case was also unusual as it would partly deal with speculation on chatrooms.

Any hearing would examine "whether the newspaper should have been prepared that its story would be followed by tittle tattle on internet chatrooms and whether it is responsible for it".

Ms Kean continued: "It has always been the law that if you show you have been identified you don't have to have been named."

But she added: "It is an odd thing to do in terms of your own profile. A libel case potentially opens up all manner of details about your private life and can open you up to much greater publicity."

Injury nightmare

The England defender has had a difficult time on and off the pitch over the last year.

He is currently out for three weeks after spraining his ankle in his comeback match in the Arsenal reserves.

With the World Cup drawing near, Cole has played just over one hour of competitive football since October after struggling with a fractured right foot and thigh injuries.

And the star failed in an appeal last month to the Court of Arbitration in sport against a £75,000 Premier League fine for discussing a possible move to Chelsea while under contract.

The player has been engaged to Girls Aloud star Cheryl Tweedy since June last year.

Fantastic match against Madrid, still can't belive we knocked them out. The poor season we've had seems worthwhile just for the fact we beat REAL MADRID :D

Lets hope we carry on the good form, and don't end up doing what we did at Blackburn when we beat Madrid last. Livepool will be a tough game, but given on tonight's performance I'm sure we can beat them.

And Hleb is the man, for me he's been great all season and tonight he was Awsome, as was Henry but thats expected :P

Guest muddatrucker

Hleb hasn't been great all season at all, hes been somewhat of a shitcake since his injury, he played well tonite and in the first leg but it was still a somewhat average performance.

He could do well, but he needs to maintain one position, he cant play on the wing though and I'd rather have Fabregas and a DMC though.

Guest muddatrucker

I've doubted Lehmann in previous seasons but this guy is solid as fuck, if he doesn't play for Germany this summer then I'm not sure who Klinsmann has been watching.

Guest muddatrucker

Its somewhat reminisent of the save from Seaman against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup when he literally had to dive backwards and scoop it out, either way I think Jens has been solid ever since he was dropped last season, it has done him the world of good.

I think it's best we just take it a season at a time with Jens, but I wouldn't let age rule him out. He's clearly got another year in him, but at the moment he doesn't physically look like a player who's on his last legs. I know Seaman got a lot of stick for letting a few crosses go when he started to near the 40 mark, but in his prime that was never really his thing (as seen when Nayim...well, we know what happended), I thought he was could've played a season more than he did at a decent enough level.

As long as he keeps playing well age won't be a factor, but we should probably start looking for a new keeper soon as when Jens' time is up we won't be given a lot of notice. Given that Wenger likes young players it could work well. If Lehmann lasts another two years we could bring in a younger 'keeper now and have him play the odd game and pick up some tips from Lehmann.

And he's got to play for Germany at the World Cup, there's no way anyone can argue against that for me. Knowing how much he hates Kahn should make the deal all the sweeter for him too.

Edited by supergrass

I think we got a pretty decent draw. We're good enough, in Europe at least, to beat Juventus over the two legs and I think we could go on to do the same in the semi final against Inter/Ajax/Villarreal should we progress to that stage.

Mudda is right though, if we want to be the champions of Europe we're going to have to beat the big teams at some point. Every game is going to be difficult enough - so it doesn't matter who we play to some extent. I've always been a little skeptical of our chances in Europe since we first entered the Champions League, and still felt the same even after we beat Real. But watching the draw was the first time I've felt what a lot of other people do, in that it does feel like this year something could happen.

Edited by supergrass

I think you have a good chance of doing it. In fact, I'll be more surprised if you don't. I mean, if a team like Werder Bremen can beat them and come close to knocking them out (if not for an absolute dipstick of a Goalkeeper) and if Liverpool can do it, then I think Arsenal stand a damn good chance.

And then, after that it's Inter, Ajax or Valencia. Ajax would be a nice send-off for Bergkamp I think, so I'd like to see that again. He never got to do it in the last game. It'd be a nice sentimental moment.

I'm hoping for Arsenal to win, if only to shut my mum up :lol:

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez believes Arsenal can repeat the Anfield club's Champions League success of last season.

The Spaniard, whose own side had a poor Premier League run last term but still lifted their European crown, sees comparisons now with Arsenal - Sunday's Barclays Premiership opponents at Highbury.

Benitez said: "Arsenal can win the Champions League, they certainly have enough quality."

The Liverpool boss maybe could have faced easier opposition after watching his European Cup holders dumped out of the competition by Benfica on Wednesday.

At the same time, Arsenal were beating Real Madrid to become England's last representatives in this season's tournament, so a trip to Highbury will really rub salt in the still open wounds.

But Benitez understands the parallel, with Arsenal now genuine candidates for May's final in Paris while struggling to qualify for next season's Champions League by virtue of their league position - like Liverpool last term.

He explained: "Arsenal are now looking at winning the Champions League as a real target, they can do what we did last season.

"Our league season was not too good and they are the same this season. But we won the trophy and they certainly can do the same.

"Arsenal in Europe were not winning well in the last seasons, but now they will have more confidence after beating Real Madrid, to beat such a club is always important.

"I can only hope they are a little complacent now when they play their next league match - against us."

He continued: "Arsenal have a good team and young players. The Premiership is hard so if you sign young players - you know they will find it difficult and you have to wait for them to get experience.

"You can also see how difficult it is for young players to win in Europe. But there are very big clubs with a lot of money who also cannot win in Europe!"

Benitez also admires Arsene Wenger's rebuilding plans that have involved signing several young stars from across the globe and waiting and praying they make the grade.

The Liverpool boss used such a comparison earlier this week to suggest he was at Anfield for the rest of his contract - despite speculation he is heading for Real Madrid.

Benitez listed his string of recently-signed young foreign and domestic talent as a reason to confirm his own longevity at Anfield.

He added: "I understand what Arsene Wenger has been doing.

"My experience with young players is that if they have ability they can progress quickly.

"Two or three together will need time, but it is better for the future of the club."

Benitez, though, has more to worry about that Arsenal's progress in Europe despite insisting Liverpool have not suddenly become a bad team after the exit from Europe.

Progression, he claims, is being made - and that is born out by another comparison with the Gunners.

This time last season, mid-March, Arsenal were 18 points ahead of Liverpool in the Premiership with 10 games to go.

On Sunday, Liverpool will take the field 11 points ahead of the Gunners now, an overall improvement in 12 months of 29 points on the north Londoners.

They may well not have defender Sami Hyypia, still recovering from a hamstring strain, and could use Danish youngster Daniel Agger alongside Jamie Carragher at the heart of their defence.

Stephen Warnock will deputise for John Arne Riise (thigh strain) at left-back at Highbury.

But it is up front that Benitez has most worries. Another statistic shows that Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes, Robbie Fowler and Peter Crouch have scored just one goal between them in 2006 from a combined total of 50 hours of playing time.

Benitez said: "I have faith in my strikers, but when it doesn't happen for you then you have to work harder and create more chances. I believe my strikers will start scoring.

"Arsenal must be very confident after beating Real Madrid. But we must think only about ourselves, talking about the future, how we are playing and starting to win again.

"It was hard for us, playing five competitions including the World Club Cup with the size of squad we had.

"It has been a lot of games and it was very difficult.

"Now we have two competitions left and it will be a little easier for us with the players we have to handle the rest of the season."

We often talk about managers saying laughable things, but Wenger's accusation that Pardew is a racist in several papers was up there in one of the stupidest things a manager has said, and I like Wenger.

I got what he was trying to say, but calling him a "racist" was stupid.