Arsenal Thread

TMM

Half way through I suddenly became glad Arsenal were playing well as I can't stand the cockiness of Spanish football.

However Arsenal HAVE to lose next round cos if we finished fourth in the league and Arsenal won the European Cup it would stop us getting into it next year and I don't think I could bear it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe that, Beckham seemed to be the only Madrid player up for it. Fair play to Arsenal though, they were suprisingly solid and could have scored at least 3 in reality.

Though I found it hilarious that before the game it focused on the two teams big players - it went Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckham for Madrid. Then it got to Arsenal and just had Henry.

I was amazed they let Fatty Ronaldo play a full 90 minutes. He was nackered and he hardly did anything. Well played Arsenal though, except it confuses me why towards the end they were trying to play it into the corners. They know there's another 90 minutes to play at Highbury, right?

You don't say.

I just think they could've put the time towards creating chances to getting a second. I mean it's not like you put the ball in the corner nearing half time in a game. Which is where they're at now, halfway. There's another 90 minutes to play.

Their only efforts at wasting time seemed to come during injury time though, Henry took the ball into the corner to run out the last few seconds which is more than understandable. Maybe with 10-15 minutes it's worth pushing on but in the last couple of minutes of injury time it's time to accept that although 90 minutes remain this is a game in itself and 1-0 is still more than anyone thought we could get. I think long balls out of the box at the end were more the team trying to ease the pressure of Real's attack and give tired legs a chance to clear themselves out of the Arsenal box.

I was actually pleased that we kept pressing Real to some extent, even at 1-0 decent chances still came to Pires (had he put his foot through the ball) and Diaby. Had we played a totally defensive game from the moment we scored (which I was worried we might), then I think it would've been a wasted opportunity and Real might've equalised.

Their only efforts at wasting time seemed to come during injury time though, Henry took the ball into the corner to run out the last few seconds which is more than understandable. Maybe with 10-15 minutes it's worth pushing on but in the last couple of minutes of injury time it's time to accept that although 90 minutes remain this is a game in itself and 1-0 is still more than anyone thought we could get. I think long balls out of the box at the end were more the team trying to ease the pressure of Real's attack and give tired legs a chance to clear themselves out of the Arsenal box.

I was actually pleased that we kept pressing Real to some extent, even at 1-0 decent chances still came to Pires (had he put his foot through the ball) and Diaby. Had we played a totally defensive game from the moment we scored (which I was worried we might), then I think it would've been a wasted opportunity and Real might've equalised.

On top of that I don't personally buy into the whole "it's only half time" way of thinking either, it's really nothing like that at all, these two legs are two very separate games. Yes there are another 90 minutes to play, but they're two games with different venues, perhaps different line-ups and should be viewed as such. To keep attacking in Madrid to any great extent, while holding a goal lead, would have been a bad move for us considering our bad defensive record of late.

Something I meant to mention before was that the match was probably the first time we've made that 4-5-1 formation work (we played it, and badly, against Chelsea and some other big teams). I'm not sure whether it's because it was a European game or we finally had the players fit to make it work, but I would consider using the same formation in the next leg at Highbury. Having the midfield packed definitely made it harder for the likes of Zidane to have time on the ball. Plus it lets Gilberto do what he does best and hold in midfield making the odd challenge, on the ball he's not great.

If Ljungberg can keep playing like the Ljungberg of a few seasons ago and make those runs along with Reyes and Helb then we've got a decent attack going too.

Edited by supergrass

Until recently that would have meant Casillas would be getting in an argument with a player, physically assaulting them, getting sent off and then making wild accusations about how the FA cheated him.

It's good to have Jens back on form...in a football sense.

Edited by supergrass

Anyone surprised? Yeah, me neither. It's typical that we can go and beat Madrid at the Bernabeau, then loose to Blackburn in the space of five days.

It showed on Tuesday that when teams actually try and play against us, they'll be destroyed, but when they defend and try the long balls we fall for it every time. Not saying I disagree with their tactics, but it's frustrating as an Arsenal fan to see how easily we were "found out" and how we haven't come up with a second plan of attack.

If someone had told me we would be ahead of Arsenal at the start of the season at the end of Februay I would of had them commited. :o

As would I. More worrying is that if West Ham win (tomorrow is it?) then THEY will be above us as well. Not to mention Bolton having two games in hand over us as well and being only a point behind.

I don't think it's all to do with tactics. The players were clearly far more up for the game with Madrid than they have been for weeks in the Premiership. It's Wenger's job to get the team motivated, there's been times, particularly away from home when some players don't look interested.

Adebayor is tall and could maybe play as more of a target man, I still think we could with someone who plays like an Ian Wright or an Alan Shearer. Then while Henry drifts off to the sides you have someone in the box to attack balls. We haven't had anyone like that since Wright and I think we could do with it as an extra option.

If we don't win the Champions League, and it's such a long, long shot, we aren't playing Champions League football next season. I think it's become as simple as that.

I don't think it's all to do with tactics. The players were clearly far more up for the game with Madrid than they have been for weeks in the Premiership. It's Wenger's job to get the team motivated, there's been times, particularly away from home when some players don't look interested.

If we don't win the Champions League, and it's such a long, long shot, we aren't playing Champions League football next season. I think it's become as simple as that.