Arsenal Thread

TMM

Arsenal were much better. We were utter shit to be quite honest. It shows how much we need Del Piero and Nedved. There wasn't any decent backup on the bench either. Zlatan was awful. Vieira will be the only player we'll miss out of the three who are banned. Del Piero will be fit for the next match, which is a must, as well as Nedved. It's tough to believe they can turn this one around, but it's not over yet. Arsenal were too good tonight though, hopefully it's a different story in Turin.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go the first ten minutes without conceeding at Juventus, we'll set a new Champions League record for longest run without conceeding a goal, at 659 minutes, beating Ajax's current record of 685.

:blink: That doesn't add up to me.

Caught some of the game and both goals. I think Henry did very well to get that goal when the ball was played behind him and his first touch barely helped him. It sounds easy if you say they just need to hold on to a draw, or they can even afford to lose 1-0... but it'll be a tough second leg.

If we go the first ten minutes without conceeding at Juventus, we'll set a new Champions League record for longest run without conceeding a goal, at 659 minutes, beating Ajax's current record of 685.

:blink: That doesn't add up to me.

Caught some of the game and both goals. I think Henry did very well to get that goal when the ball was played behind him and his first touch barely helped him. It sounds easy if you say they just need to hold on to a draw, or they can even afford to lose 1-0... but it'll be a tough second leg.

Moving on and slightly away from the win against Juventus (somebody was going to have to at some point), it appears our injury list is starting to look a little better. Arsenal.com have reported that Cole and Clichy are now getting closer to full training and a return while Kerrea Gilbert, Sol and Freddie are all going to be back soon too.

Something else it made me think about: it looks to me as if Pascal Cygan's Arsenal career might just be over, which is yet another bonus for me. At left back we'll have Cole and Clichy, with Flamini doing a good job there and Lauren capable if we ever needed him to be next season. At centre back I would play Toure, Sol, Senderos and Djourou before Cygan. While at right back (not that Cygan could ever play there) it's healthy with Eboue, Gilbert and Lauren next year. I can't see why or when we'd need him, surely we couldn't come across another bad injury run again? Wenger letting him go now would just solidify his position as a man who doesn't get many things wrong.

Overall our squad is looking pretty good for next season. I think we could do with a goalkeeper and a good established player or two to go into midfield - maybe a winger as Pires' future is uncertain and Ljungberg has always been a little injury prone. But all in all things are looking good enough for us now.

Edited by supergrass

The problem is that as soon as our players start to regain their fitness, they get injured again.

Cole and Clichy ae both on their second successive injuries. I think Sol is on his third. Ljungberg is getting more injury prone, and Pires can perform on occassion, but you can't expect him to play 40 - 60 games a season. With Bergkamp retiring this summer, we're really only left with Reyes, Henry and Van Persie up front. Someone to join them would be nice. Maybe Ryan Smith coming up from the Reserves and Theo Walcott too.

As far as midfielders go, I'd rather see Ryan Smith/Flamini used on the left, and Theo Walcott played on either the left or right, with Fabregas continuing to get a lot of games in the middle before we bring someone in.

I think we do need a GOOD goalkeeper. Jes has been really good this year, but we don't wanna do like we did with Seaman and hang on for too long. He'll be good again next year, but the clock is ticking.

Guest muddatrucker

We also have Adebayor too who also can only get better, whilst Cygan isn't great and at sometimes the scapegoat for the team, he's established and is willing to remain backup, hes worth having for the simple reason that we have such a small squad already.

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry says his future at the club will be decided before the World Cup starts on 9 June.

The 28-year-old's deal runs out next summer and Henry has been linked with moves to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"At the end of the season we are going to have to take a decision. It will be done before the World Cup, that's for sure," said Henry.

"My main concern right now is to finish in the top four and concentrate on winning the Champions League."

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger backed Henry's decision on the timing of an announcement and said he believes the Frenchman will stay at the club.

"He said many times he is ambitious and wants to part of an ambitious club and I feel that we are one," said Wenger.

"I have no deadline. I don't think it would be good for him to wait until after the World Cup although it would be less disturbing for him than me."

Looking good for us at half time.....

HT Arsenal 2-0 Aston Villa

HT Bolton 1-1 Man Utd

HT Everton 2-1 Sunderland

HT Fulham 1-2 Portsmouth

HT Newcastle 3-1 Tottenham

As things stand we'll be fifth at the end of today, with a game in hand over Spurs and only 2 points behind them, with them still due to visit Highbury this season. Man United holding Bolton means they'll be 4 points behind us, with them having one game in hand so they won't catch us. A United win will make that 5 points. Blackburn play Wigan on Monday. If Blackburn win, they'll be 2 points clear with us, level with Spurs, but we'll have a game in hand over them.

Champions League qualification is suddenly looking much more likely.

FT Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa

FT Bolton 1-2 Man Utd

FT Everton 2-2 Sunderland

FT Fulham 1-3 Portsmouth

FT Newcastle 3-1 Tottenham

United did win, pushing us further above Bolton. Spurs lost, getting us closer to them. And we scored five. Results couldn't have gone much better for us today.

Just saw this on the BBC website:

The only worries for Arsenal were the injuries to midfielder Cesc Fabregas and defender Emmanuel Eboue.

Fabregas, basking in the glow of his display in the Champions League quarter-final against Juventus, came off on 16 minutes with a foot injury and must now be a doubt for Wednesday's return leg in Italy.

Eboue was forced off in the second half with a groin problem.

Fantastic news for Arsenal now......

Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Eboue will be travelling to Juventus for this week’s Champions League Quarter-Final second leg.

Both players were forced off early during Saturday’s 5-0 victory over Aston Villa. Fabregas left in the 16th minute with a foot problem, Eboue followed in the 67th minute with a groin injury.

Both were rated 60:40 against by Arsène Wenger immediately after the game but both have recovered sufficiently to take their place in the travelling party to Turin for Wednesday’s tie.

Arsenal.com will publish the full squad around lunchtime on Tuesday.

Edited by TheArsenal

Various news bits....

Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has been chosen as the German number one for the World Cup finals, ahead of Bayern Munich stopper Oliver Kahn.

Lehmann, 36, and Kahn, 36, have been alternating in the role since Jurgen Klinsmann took over as coach in 2004.

"This was the most difficult decision of my time as coach," said Klinsmann. "Of course Oliver is disappointed, but he took it as a real sportsman."

Kahn said: "I am surprised about this decision and absolutely disappointed."

He added: "I will consider my future with the national team over the next few weeks and announce my decision at an appropriate date.

"I will now, in the coming weeks, fully concentrate on my duties with Bayern Munich."

Kahn was Germany captain when they were runners-up at the 2002 World Cup.

He was named player of the tournament, but was at fault for Ronaldo's first goal as Brazil won the final 2-0 in Yokohama.

Klinsmann added: "After the recent friendly match against the USA, we have carefully analysed developments over the past 22 months and have now made our decision."

Goalkeeping coach Andreas Kopke said it was a close decision between the two keepers.

"Both goalkeepers have extraordinary ability but we are convinced that Lehmann fits better with our playing philosophy."

Lehmann has been in fine form for Arsenal, with the Gunners getting into the semi-finals of the Champions League having kept a tournament record eight clean sheets in a row.

Kahn has not been in such great form for Bayern, making two mistakes in the recent Bundesliga game against Cologne as his side were held to a 2-2 draw.