The Netflix (UK) Thread

K

1 minute ago, Liam said:

I've watched Ponyo, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso, so will happily check out as many of the others as possible. (have also seen Grave of the Fireflies).

Watch the ones I said they’re the best films.

Infact watch most of them. Watch all of them. Watch nothing but them. Become an anime.

The film adaptation of Ni No Kuni has been added to Netflix, for anyone looking for something Ghibli-adjacent before the real stuff drops - based on a game developed with Studio Ghibli, scored by long-time Ghibli musical collaborator Joe Hisaishi, directed by Ghibli animation lifer Yoshiyuki Momose, and written by Akihiro Hino, the writer behind the Ni No Kuni games, as well as Professor Layton and Yo-Kai Watch.

The trailer looks fucking awful, but I'll give it a shot.

On 20/01/2020 at 13:10, Skummy said:

no Grave of the Fireflies for some reason.

Do you know why that is? Because nobody who has ever seen that movie will choose to watch it again. Why would you put yourself through that? It's the best film I will never ever watch again.

10 hours ago, Skummy said:

The film adaptation of Ni No Kuni has been added to Netflix, for anyone looking for something Ghibli-adjacent before the real stuff drops - based on a game developed with Studio Ghibli, scored by long-time Ghibli musical collaborator Joe Hisaishi, directed by Ghibli animation lifer Yoshiyuki Momose, and written by Akihiro Hino, the writer behind the Ni No Kuni games, as well as Professor Layton and Yo-Kai Watch.

The trailer looks fucking awful, but I'll give it a shot.

Is it actually a Ni No Kuni adaption, or does it just share a thematic world?

10 hours ago, Benji said:

Do you know why that is? Because nobody who has ever seen that movie will choose to watch it again. Why would you put yourself through that? It's the best film I will never ever watch again.

Is it actually a Ni No Kuni adaption, or does it just share a thematic world?

on Fireflies, it's actually because of a rights issue around the rights to the short story it's based on, but you may as well be correct.

Shares a thematic world, in the same way that Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 do, I suppose. It's about three friends from "our" world crossing over into the other world, and exploring the Ni No Kuni idea of people being linked between worlds more than the games did, by the looks of it. I don't know how much of the content of either of the games has made it into the movie, but if I remember correctly I at least spotted a Ding Dong Dell Cat King statue in some of the art.

• Like 1

Been watching Mindhunter on Netflix. Wasn't what I was expecting but in a good way.

And by coincidence I was getting some books from a charity shop and randomly picked something that I thought was a crime thriller, but it turned out to be a non fiction book about the career of a top British criminal psychologist. Neat.

Watched Prince Avalanche today

817GdnipW8L._RI_.jpg

I'd never heard of this movie before, but I really enjoyed it. 

Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch are working in the aftermath of the Bastrop County Complex Fire in Texas, painting lines on the road. They work during the day, camp onsite overnight, and are allowed to drive back to town for the weekend. It's a really quiet, contemplative movie. It's Slow Cinema.  There are only four speaking characters (plus a voice on the phone), but the landscape is the main character. You get lost in the ugly beauty of the charred and twisted trees, the monotony of the work their doing is hypnotic, and the forced friendship between the leads is enthralling. The soundtrack is by Explosions in the Sky.

It's part character piece, part documentary. Definitely worth a watch if you're looking for a peaceful movie one evening.

also bonus, it's based on an Icelandic movie (Which I've yet to see), called Á annan veg, a version of which seems to be freely available on Vimeo, with good English subtitles. So feel free to check that out too. I'm going to try and watch it this week.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just finished the last season of 13 reason's why. The first two seasons were really good, season 3 was awful but I thought it picked up the quality this last season. I think they handled some quite difficult topics really well in the last season