Fallout 76

Slogger

Holy shit. So Bethesda were so shackled to their bad ideas that they brought back the Minutemen to help you be the wastelands janitor again.

But wait a minute, how could they do that? The game isn't supposed to have any human NPCs.

Don't worry, Todd made it just work. You can now trade with and get quests from friendly companion computer terminals! 

...someone needs to confiscate this franchise and give it to someone talented again. -_-

Sounds like an improvement, really.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2018 at 12:02, Maxx said:

I'm in the "never pre-ordered because it sounded like a terrible concept from the get-go" camp.

giphy.gif

On 31/10/2018 at 12:02, Maxx said:

I'm in the "never pre-ordered because it sounded like a terrible concept from the get-go" camp.

"Okay Mister Howard, feedback from Fallout 4 came in, most complaints are about the lack of content and over-reliance on radiant quests."

"I see. Alright, new project: A Fallout game with no content. You have three years. Begin."

"But how do we..."

"PECKING ORDER"

"Do you see that mountain off the in the distance? It's made of rocks. Rocks that were forged in a volcano, thousands of years ago."

"...holy fuck."

"Todd Howard has done it again!"

"I can't WAIT to see those rocks in VR."

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me figure out what the decision making process was behind removing all human NPCs, so basically all humans in the game are either fellow vault dwellers who are running around in party hats punching each other or the story based humans mentioned are just corpses.

Find the guy in the next town - you know when you get there, he'll be a corpse with a holotape on them.

Go speak to the doctor - you already know they're dead but holotape.

Find the Overseer - 100% dead. Holotape.

I don't see what the end game content is going to be either in the longterm. Great, It's a week after release. I'm level 50, got good perks, a full suit of power armour and a gun that melts everything in less than five shots. I'm farming nukes to launch them to farm gear that isn't as good as what I already have. Great, I'm playing The Division again. Except there's no matchmaking or group finder, so I'm probably relying on random arseholes who I can find on the map and hoping they don't just shoot me for 1hp till I leave them alone.

Because Gazz, nobody plays Fallout to encounter living people.

In fact in Fallout 1 they originally planned for all the characters, human and otherwise, including the Super Mutants and the Deathclaws to be already dead but decided that was far too thrilling and people would have played the game forever until they DIED so they made them boring living encounters.

Welcome to 5 reasons not to use an engine that you made entirely open and provided all the tools needed to mod that engine in an online game. Oh and how to entirely not secure anything for your users.

I am as much a Fallout and Bethesda fan as everyone else, I've sunk around 4000 hours into Fallout4 and have been making mods for about 2 years. So when I got into the PC Beta and it allowed me to download the client and files, I started playing with them.

Number 1: There are no server checks to verify models or file integrity. Want to make trees smaller, or player models bright colors to see them easier? Go right ahead, here are the tools to do it!

Number 2: Terrain and invisible walls/collision is client side! Want to walk through walls? Open up that beautiful .esm file and edit it. The server doesn't care or check!

Number 3: Want to save money on server hardware and make ping a little more manageable? Go ahead and open up client to client communication but don't encrypt it or obfuscate it in anyway. Open up Wireshark while playing and nab anyone's IP you want! Send packets to the server to auto use consumables, all very nicely and in plain text! Even get health info and player location, why waste time injecting the executable and getting nabbed by anti-cheat when you can get all info from the network!

Number 4: Want to grief people and be a God? Go ahead and keep looping the packet captured in Wireshark reporting you gave full HP. Why would the server care about something as little and not game breaking like this?!?! It's a great idea to let the client tell the server it's state and the server not check anything it's being told! The possibilities with this are endless and probably able to just give yourself items by telling the server you picked it up!

Number 5: Someone in your game being mean? Again have Wireshark? Well let's just forge a packet with the disconnect command in it and knock them offline!

In conclusion: Bethesda should not have just made Fallout76 by throwing mods on it from Nexus and sold it as a new game. Have fun in the wasteland gamers.

Edit: To those crying "lies" and wanting "proof" here ya go the first cheat mod uploaded to Nexus. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/24

Oh wait, it's just lock picking that's still locked behind a card skill/requirement to do higher level locks. However this proves several things: No clientside file checks, and the majority of mechanics are clientside and the server just listens to the client.

Final Edit:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/11/05/fallout-76-bethesda-is-aware-and-investigating-a-potential-huge-hacking-vulnerability

Bethesda responds, are investigating issues and fixing them. Claims some of my claims are invalid but why would they be fixing things if they weren't true? Thanks to everyone who participated in the awareness, maybe some things will be fixed. However I am sad to say that some things will not be fixed in time for launch. Have fun in the wasteland.

lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So there might potentially be a class action lawsuit filed against Bethesda. They sold the collectors edition with a "authentic, durable West-Tek canvas bag", but when the game actually shipped, it came with a very cheap nylon bag instead.

Which is bad. What's worse, Bethesda offered anyone who wasn't satisfied $5. But not a $5 refund which would have actual value, $5 of in game currency, or the equivalent of $0 actual dollars back.

Which is bad. What's worse, is that it turns out Bethesda made the canvas bags... but only to give away was freebies to Youtubers and Games Journalists in exchange for reviews.

Whew lad.

Fortunately, one of the most grounded and analytical Youtubers, Killian Experience, got his hands on a copy of the game and figured out that... it actually might be genius?