Doctor Who

Benji

I completely agree with Colly. It was the worst Capaldi one yet, with the only redeeming feature being the character development for Pink. Even that was almost ruined by the

forced relationship because time travel says so.

Sure the Robin Hood episode was a bit of a silly concept but at least had decent writing. The Doctor's interaction with other characters in that episode seemed so natural but everything in this one just came across as artificial.

Could just have been one of the kids messing about like they said. I mean... it wasn't, but it could have been... right?

Yea, upon reading some reviews and thoughts of it, I'm more inclined to believe it was just one of the other kids. Here is what one review I read had and why I'm now leaning towards "it was a kid"

Go back to the scene in Rupert’s bedroom; once the initial shock of the sinking mattress wearing off, what sustains the suspense of the scene? Clara asks the obvious question about whether anyone has entered the room, and Rupert assures her that no one has.

And the audience’s natural instinct is to trust implicitly the word of a terrified child who is already convinced monsters are under his bed. That’s insane, but it’s understandable. After all, Doctor Who has just spent the last decades telling us that monsters are real; the mere presence of a scared child is sufficient proof of a monster’s existence.

The thing that bothers me more than anything this week was the setup was just "hey! here's this week's premise" with The Doctor's opening monologue. It was the same last week with "where do you want to go? I wanna meet Robin Hood!"

Could just have been one of the kids messing about like they said. I mean... it wasn't, but it could have been... right?

Yea, upon reading some reviews and thoughts of it, I'm more inclined to believe it was just one of the other kids. Here is what one review I read had and why I'm now leaning towards "it was a kid"

Go back to the scene in Rupert’s bedroom; once the initial shock of the sinking mattress wearing off, what sustains the suspense of the scene? Clara asks the obvious question about whether anyone has entered the room, and Rupert assures her that no one has.

And the audience’s natural instinct is to trust implicitly the word of a terrified child who is already convinced monsters are under his bed. That’s insane, but it’s understandable. After all, Doctor Who has just spent the last decades telling us that monsters are real; the mere presence of a scared child is sufficient proof of a monster’s existence.

The counter argument being that we, the audience, also didn't hear anyone else enter the room.

Well I personally thought it was rather excellent and better than the rest of the series so far.

I thought Capaldi showed glimpses of brilliance in the first episode (when with the homeless man especially) but I didn't like the last two episodes. This time though I thought he was great and plays single-minded, slightly unhinged and selfish very well....as well as the more touching stuff like with moaning about the hug at the end.

• Like 1

The counter argument being that we, the audience, also didn't hear anyone else enter the room.

We didn't hear The Doctor enter the room, sit down and grab a book, but he did anyway

• Like 3

I liked the episode and had an interesting concept.

That part at the beginning with the Teller with the other theif was a bit of an interesting shock especally for Doctor Who as a whole, dont think they have done a shock like since maybe that human to ood transformation or back to the classic series..

Its going to take a lot to unseat my top 3 Doctors (Tom Baker, David Tennant and Jon Pertwee), but he's doing one heck of a job with the role so far.

I'm not sure what to expect from next week's episode, with that preview.....