The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin

Predictions for this year? Of course a lot of it depends on what is the biggest transfer window for ages.

Man Utd need to replace the likes of van der Sar and Scholes in addition to other areas which need strengthening.

Arsenal simply must spend and bring in top class experience at centre half and arguably in goal.

Chelsea need to address the fact that their squad is aging, and need to replace Ancelotti very quickly to avoid falling behind in their transfer plans.

Man City will spend big again to build on a very successful season. The likes of Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Adebayor, and Vieira will surely leave and players like Dzeko will only be better after a full pre-season.

Liverpool should come back strong under King Kenny. With Carroll and Suarez, plus the signing of new wide men as well as the revival of the likes of Maxi and Meireles, they could be dark horses.

As for us [spurs], we need to strengthen all over really otherwise we will fall behind. A new strike force is preferable. Leandro? Gameiro?

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this may actually be City's year. But like I said, it all depends on the transfer window in and also whether Chelsea get Hiddink.

The promoted teams will probably struggle. With the internal struggles at QPR right now, they're hardly gearing up for the new season in the correct manner. Norwich have a fantsastic manager but I can't see them staying up. Likewise at Swansea, as much as it pains me to say it, Brendan Rodgers is a great young manager and if he can strengthen their defence to an EPL quality, they could stay up with the way they play, provided the likes of Sinclair, Dyer, Graham(?) et al make the step up. They could be this season's Blackpool. Wigan will also struggle, once again.

The Turkish Football Federation has accepted that Guus Hiddink is likely to leave his job as national team boss and return to Chelsea.

According to a senior source at the TFF, the Dutchman "can't say no to Chelsea, we believe he wants to leave".

Hiddink, 64, led Chelsea to an FA Cup victory as caretaker manager in 2009.

Despite an indifferent qualifying campaign, Turkey remain in contention for a Euro 2012 play-off place after a 1-1 draw against Belgium on Friday.

But Hiddink is unhappy that the man who brought him to Istanbul, TFF chief Mahmut Ozgener, is likely to be replaced following presidential elections on 28 June.

"If Ozgener was staying, Guus would probably stay, too," said the source. "Ozgener has gone on holiday and hasn't decided if he will stand for re-election. Even if does, he's likely to lose.

"Hiddink says he has a contract but these promises don't have value. Chelsea is too good an offer to turn down and the TFF understands this.

"Hiddink feels he still has a job to do there [Chelsea}. He wants to work every day and win championships, maybe the Champions League.

"We will understand that he has coached his last Turkey game as long as Chelsea pay the compensation."

The TFF is yet to receive a formal approach from Chelsea asking for permission to talk to Hiddink but expect one this week.

With just over a year left on a 3.7m euro contract that runs until the end of the 2012 Euros, releasing Hiddink could cost Chelsea around 4m euros.

Hiddink, who has also had spells as manager of the Netherlands, South Korea, Australia and Russia, won the FA Cup with the Blues during a three-month stint at Stamford Bridge at the end of the 2008-09 season.

He enjoys a close relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, who bankrolled his spell as Russia manager and has used him as a footballing consultant.

Turkey's next Euro 2012 qualifier is against Kazakhstan on 2 September but Hiddink refused to confirm he would still be in charge for the Group A game when asked following the draw in Belgium.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlo Ancelotti will take a one-year sabbatical from coaching after his departure from Chelsea last month, according to reports in Italy.

The Italian, 51, told Italian newspaper La Stampa: "I am in no hurry to coach and I don't need to.

"I have not been contacted by any club in England and I have not spoken to Roma. It is all fantasy."

Ancelotti's decision could be a blow to Aston Villa, who were reportedly among those looking to secure his services.

The Villa Park job is vacant after the departure of Gerard Houllier.

Ancelotti has also been linked with the Fulham manager's role and a coaching position at newly-promoted QPR as well as a possible return to Roma, where he enjoyed success as a player between 1979 and 1987.

He led the Blues to the Premier League and FA Cup double in the 2009-10 season and had one year left on his contract at Stamford Bridge but was sacked on the final day of the 2010-11 campaign.

"I have enjoyed this experience [of coaching in England]. I will return to London to organise my life," he added.

"Besides a six-month break, I have been coaching non-stop since 1995. I will take a year off and look around, study how my colleagues work.

"I have always said, and I reiterate it, that one day I will coach Roma - but it's still early."

It'll also be interesting to see how Stoke cope with the demands of a grueling Europa League campaign as well as a 38-game league season + cup games. I think Bolton could have a great year too under Owen Coyle. Especially if they could get Danny Sturridge (20 goals this year for sure) back.

Predicted table:

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Man City

4. Spurs

5. Liverpool

6. Arsenal

7. Villa

8. Newcastle

9. Fulham

10. Bolton

11. Everton

12. Sunderland

13. Blackburn

14. Stoke

15. Wigan

16. Norwich

17. Wolves

18. QPR

19. West Brom

20. Swansea

I don't think Swansea will be anywhere near good enough, QPR will run it close but I think they'll end up going down, West Brom was just a random pick from a few teams that could go down. Norwich I can see managing to survive, Lambert is a great manager and they're building the squad in the right way - get a couple of experienced Premiership players in at the back to compliment the Championship players and I think they'll stay up. I think Liverpool and Spurs will be battling it out for fourth place while Arsenal just fall to pieces - I think Wenger will lose a couple of players and not replace them well enough. Chelsea should improve on last season, particularly if Hiddink gets the job and they can bulk up their squad a bit. City will probably look as though they're in the title race for a long time but I think they'll start to lose form when they hit the last 8 of the Champions League.

I can't see West Brom going down. Roy has done a superb job there in strengthening their defence and I'm sure they will go from there, probably a high mid-table spot for them in my opinion.

As for the Villa... we could end up anywhere from 7th to 17th depending on who we bring in.

Another top half finish for Sunderland should be on the agenda. We've improved year on year, 16th, 13th and 10th but realistically we aren't going to be able to keep improving year-on-year and we'll need big investment and for our best players not to ditch us if we're to make sure we do improve. I'd say we'll probably end up around the same place in a years time, hopefully without any shocking win-less runs this season.

It's difficult to predict without knowing the full managerial situation. If Chelsea get Hiddink or Villas-Boas, the title should be their's, but some of the other names being thrown about as new boss seem underwhelming and the wrong appointment could mean a difficult season. If it is, the title will go to Manchester, I couldn't say to which club though. Arsenal and Liverpool will battle it out for 4th unless Wenger or Dalglish make some spectacular signings. I like Kenny, but I know some unbearable Liverpool fans, so I'd rather see them outside the Champions League spaces. Tottenham could have a tricky season, but they'll do well in the Europa League if they take it seriously.

Bolton, Stoke, Everton, West Brom battling it out for 7th methinks. Norwich will surprise people and be safe in mid table, as will Sunderland, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Fulham and Wolves.

I think Blackburn will surprise people by getting relegated. Steve Kean's not quite cut out for this level in my opinion, and he'll never have the complete backing of the owners if he gets them into another dogfight at the bottom. Swansea will be Blackpool 2.0, brave and entertaining, but ultimately doomed. QPR and Wigan to be competing for 17th and 18th, and I think the newly promoted side will have just enough about them to survive.

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Man City

6. Spurs

7. Everton

8. Aston Villa

9. Stoke

10. Newcastle

11. Bolton

12. West Brom

13. Sunderland

14. Fulham

15. Wolves

16. Blackburn

17. Wigan

18. Norwich

19. QPR

20. Swansea

Working on the assumption that Tevez leaves Man City. If he doesn't, bump 'em up to third.

Edited by Pesci

Chelsea need to address the fact that their squad is aging, and need to replace Ancelotti very quickly to avoid falling behind in their transfer plans.

You forget that Chelsea's transfer plans move independently of their manager. :shifty: Besides, Hiddink's been advising the club for the past couple of years anyway. If/when he comes in, it's not like he will be coming in cold.

For example, the Romelu Lukaku deal seems like it's pretty much sealed now, but they're waiting to get the manager sorted before they formally announce it.

1. Manchester United

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. Liverpool

5. Manchester City

6. Tottenham

7. Everton

8. West Brom

9. Aston Villa

10. Bolton

11. Fulham

12. Sunderland

13. Wolves

14. Newcastle

15. Stoke

16. Wigan

17. QPR

18. Blackburn

19. Swansea

20. Norwich

Fancy us to retain the title, a few big additions and a couple of people returning (Macheda, Welbeck, Cleverly) to boost our squad and take it to the next level. As usual, I also fancy Arsenal to do quite well. They'll no doubt be written off, but as annoying as Arsenal tend to be, I'm sure they'll be up there. City are the ones I'm not too sure about, just don't know what to expect of them next season. I still don't think Mancini will last much longer and IF Tevez does end up leaving, they'll need to bring in somebody pretty good up top. Liverpool will come down to how they add to their squad throughout this market. If they do bring in a few players, they've got potential to be the dark horses and under Dalglish, you just never know.

Might be over doing it with West Brom, but I think they'll end up around that area, possibly just a place or two lower maybe. Hodgson is exactly the type of guy a team like that needs in charge and if he can make quite a few additions to the squad and also keep Odemwingie, they could surprise a few. And as usual, Spurs are going to need some big additions to their squad if they want to get CL football again, otherwise I cant ever see them reaching the top four next season.

And just for a laugh at the end of next season to see how terribly wrong I likely am...

Top Scorer: Javier Hernandez

Top Assist: Ashley Young

Team With Most Red Cards: Stoke

Team With Most Clean Sheets: Chelsea

Team With Most Goals: Chelsea

Team To Concede The Most Goals: Norwich

...why are we putting predictions in spoilers? If you don't know who's going to be in the league now, you clearly have been left behind on a lot of things :shifty:

For me, this is the way the table will look (roughly):

[1] Manchester City

[2] Manchester United

[3] Liverpool

[4] Chelsea

[5] Stoke

[6] Everton

[7] Arsenal

[8] Bolton

[9] Tottenham Hotspur

[10] Aston Villa

[11] Queens Park Rangers

[12] West Bromwich Albion

[13] Newcastle United

[14] Blackburn Rovers

[15] Sunderland

[16] Wolverhampton Wanderers

[17] Norwich

[18] Fulham

[19] Swansea

[20] Wigan

City are going to spend and top the table, without question. I don't see Chelsea actually doing that much this year, Arsenal will get left behind. Everton will have one of their weird "we're overachieving" seasons, Liverpool will begin to make the climb back up to the top, QPR will spend well and perform, Tottenham will under-perform, Stoke will over-perform, Swansea will be relegated but not as badly as people think, Fulham will make a steady slope down the table and go down and Wigan will finally be found out and get relegated.

Every time I make a prediction, there is always one team who upset the odds and sneak into the top somewhere. I just decided to make that team Stoke this year.

To be honest, every prediction I make ends up being wrong. So sod it. Stoke to go 5th.

Not to mention everyone always talks up Arsenal and they ALWAYS fail to deliver, so why are they going to be any different next season?

Edited by XEON BSIG