The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I've gone from "Oh god, not Rafa." to accepting and being quite excited. He did well at Liverpool, I've always loved Valencia and he did well there too. Bring him in. Better than Mark "What's Loyalty?" Hughes. And I secretly think McClaren could do a good job somewhere, but I don't want him to attempt to rebuild his image at Villa. Very good coach with a hugely tarnished national reputation. A small club should take a chance on him.

• Admin

But Villa are a small club :P.

Steve McClaren has been ruled out of the running for the Aston Villa manager's job, BBC Sport understands.

"McClaren has been told that at no point will he be interviewed," said BBC Radio 5 live Midlands football correspondent Pat Murphy.

"Owner Randy Lerner was influenced by the negative reactions of some Villa supporters on various fans forums and cancelled Thursday's meeting with him."

Rafael Benitez is favourite to take over from Gerard Houllier.

Villa are looking for a new manager after Frenchman Houllier quit in early June citing health reasons. The 63-year-old, who was in charge for only nine months, had missed the final month of the season because of heart problems.

"I understand Benitez is firmly in the frame for the Villa job but [former Fulham manager] Mark Hughes isn't," added Murphy.

I would love Rafa to get the Villa job. I think Villa fans would be fools not to want a two-time La Liga winning, UEFA Cup and Chanpions League winning, FA Cup winning manager with a proven record of success in England. Oh, and he achieved all of that in the space of six seasons.

And his heart is in working order. Bonus.

--

sportingintel sportingintelligence

Benitez to be confirmed as Aston Villa manager within 24 hours. Schteve McClaren has been told he hasn't got it. #AVFC #lfc

#AVFC spoke to Rafa 2day. McClaren told 2day not him.

@pdol1 @rorysmith_tel I heard Rafa spoke/speaking to #avfc today. I heard Schteve told today 'not you'. Things can always change till anncd

Bah, I just stuck £10 on it, went on Twitter, saw he was trending, clicked on it and now it's being reported he won't be manager. Bah. I could've at least waited half an hour to get better odds. <_<

Heh, I was kidding. But McLaren does deserve another crack at the EPl, no doubt.

Can it really be called the EPL anymore? :unsure: