The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard calls on Jordan Henderson to follow in his footsteps at Anfield

Liverpool's captain has welcomed the arrival of new signing Jordan Henderson, saying that the 20 year-old midfielder could prove to be 'the next Steven Gerrard'.

"Have you ever seen Henderson win the league?

Have you ever seen Henderson win the league?

Have you ever seen Henderson,

Ever seen Henderson,

Ever seen Henderson win the league?

Have you fuck!"

:unsure:

• Haha 1

Eric Cantona's NY Cosmos to play Manchester United in Paul Scholes testimonial at Old Trafford Aug 5. Wonder if he'll be tempted to play himself?

It would be awesome if he came on for 15 minutes or so, should be a good send-off for Scholesy either way though.

• Like 1

The final farewell could be Cantona wandering up next to him, popping the collar and "Au revoir...." :w00t:

Also, it costs me £15-18 to go and watch Nagoya Grampus play at home. They were Champions last season. Those aren't the cheapest tickets either - range from about 10-20/25.

Phil McNulty's been plugging the "Villa will get Hughes eventually but they're being secretive for now" line for a while, but now says that "someone" has told him Hughes might yet be in line for, quote, "something" at Chelsea.

Hmm.

Phil McNulty's been plugging the "Villa will get Hughes eventually but they're being secretive for now" line for a while, but now says that "someone" has told him Hughes might yet be in line for, quote, "something" at Chelsea.

Hmm.

Wasn't he once Player-Manager at Chelsea or am I making that up? They had a succession of them at one point didn't they? Hoddle/Gullit/Vialli?

Villa's search for a manager is beginning to look a little farcical now, they're now being linked to Moyes and Coyle but I don't see either of them making the move.

Edited by Sam

The media coverage is farcical. As a club, we're just quieting interviewing people. Martinez never even spoke to the club. He decided three days before it came out that he wanted to stay at Wigan. So, he was never offered the job, yet Sky and other sources claim he turned down the managerial role. He was on a shortlist, we wanted to interview him - among others. Same as how for ages every media outlet claimed McClaren was set to be boss, then he comes out and says the club haven't spoken to him at all. Lots of bullshit being spun about the Villa job because no media sources have been told anything. "Insiders" claim we really want Moyes but we can't get permission to speak to him. The Hughes rumour hasn't gone away, either. I did hear there was a shortlist of 7 - of which Martinez was one. Whelan was the only guy who decided to use the media to spin himself a story, however.

In a way, I like it. It's funny to see the media as headless chickens and since Lerner took over very little press get ANY snippets of information and leaks are beyond rare. Other clubs leak everything in various ways. Some clubs have a Chairman who doesn't shut up, and some clubs have managers who will talk about anything - other clubs, other clubs players, it doesn't matter... he'll just talk about EVERYTHING for the airtime.

It's better with things like manager appointments because eventually a manager WILL get appointed and the myths are either dispelled or just forgotten. Unfortunately with Chelsea a great deal of the crap is about what Abramovich thinks/decides/likes/hates/etc. - stuff that not only do the media have no way of actually knowing, but no one's ever really going to tell them either, so they just invent an idea that sounds juicy enough and take Chelsea's silence on the matter as a confirmation of truth.

In a way, I like it. It's funny to see the media as headless chickens and since Lerner took over very little press get ANY snippets of information and leaks are beyond rare. Other clubs leak everything in various ways. Some clubs have a Chairman who doesn't shut up, and some clubs have managers who will talk about anything - other clubs, other clubs players, it doesn't matter... he'll just talk about EVERYTHING for the airtime.

triffic post

• Like 1

• Admin

Really? I've been either driving the length of the country or watching the F1 all day. Not sure what to make of Moyes to Villa - will having a transfer budget take to the next level? Might make me like Villa a little more, I do like Moyesie.