Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

What the fuck was with Lara Croft's house anyway? That enormous aquarium taking up the majority of the basement can't have been structurally sound, and what kind of lunatic architect designs a downstairs door that's opened via a switch in an upstairs chimney, and a fireplace that can only be switched off by removing an arbitrary book on the other side of the room?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skummy said:

What the fuck was with Lara Croft's house anyway? That enormous aquarium taking up the majority of the basement can't have been structurally sound, and what kind of lunatic architect designs a downstairs door that's opened via a switch in an upstairs chimney, and a fireplace that can only be switched off by removing an arbitrary book on the other side of the room?

We're talking about a woman who commits mass murder around the world to acquire treasures to which she has no right. She's clearly unstable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Apsham said:

The Witcher works is very true to the mythologies of the creatures inside. It makes for a dark fantasy world.

While this is true, The Witcher 3 does have some lighter moments too. I've had the game since release because it came with a graphics card I bought, and I've been very slowly chipping away at it since. I play a mission or two as "episodes" and come back to it every so often, and that's an approach I've come to enjoy. It's the slowest burn I've employed for any game ever, but, for whatever reason, that suits me just fine in between playing other games.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I've got Witcher 2 but I just can't get into it. And it doesn't have native support for control pad doesn't help.

Witcher 2 is solid if you can get into it, but Witcher 3 is just an entirely separate beast and I would suggest it to anyone regardless of if they have played the others. So good.

Just now, Benji said:

Witcher 2 is solid if you can get into it, but Witcher 3 is just an entirely separate beast and I would suggest it to anyone regardless of if they have played the others. So good.

I'll probably get around to getting it if I see it for cheap in a sale.

11 hours ago, Apsham said:

The Witcher works is very true to the mythologies of the creatures inside. It makes for a dark fantasy world.

Yeah, one of the things I adore is that the creatures don't feel like generic enemies. Everything has its own tale of how it came to be that is an active part of the world and how you go about defeating them. Beautiful cross-tail of lore and gameplay.

Just now, MDK said:

I'll probably get around to getting it if I see it for cheap in a sale.

Good man. Honestly I think if I was telling someone to get into the series, I'd actually say go for three first. The plot is well contained and expositioned throughout 3 so I don't think anyone would feel lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving Mortal Kombat away from the original digitized graphics was a mistake and killed the charm of the series. They're still fun games but I can never love them the same way now that they look like every other game. 

3 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Moving Mortal Kombat away from the original digitized graphics was a mistake and killed the charm of the series. They're still fun games but I can never love them the same way now that they look like every other game. 

Honestly, ultra-violence is just not interesting anymore. There was a while where many titles marketed themselves for it, but nowadays they're fringey fringe with Mortal Kombat the only major franchise still doing stuff like that.

Also, classic MK might've had 'charm', but the gameplay was awful compared to other fighters on the market. The only thing MK had going for them was the controversy-factor with the 'ultra-realistic gore!' Take the violence out of the game, and you're left with a bog average game.