Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

3D Platformers in general tend to suck. Crash got it right in a lot of ways, in that it kept you moving in a linear fashion, which meant you weren't hampered by shitty camera angles or getting stuck behind scenery the way you were in practically every other 3D platformer of the time (and up to as recently as games like Epic Mickey), but fucked up in the precision of some of the jumps - which got easier in 2 and 3, though is skewed in the remastered trilogy as mentioned earlier - and in the fact that they retained 3D physics even in the 2D sidescrolling sections, so it was possible to move forward and back to miss a jump or fall off a 2D platform, which was always infuriating.

Honestly, I don't think 3D platformers work in all but a select few instances - usually Mario games - and maybe that counts as an unpopular opinion in its own right.

2 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Metal Gear Acid is a brilliant concept and one of the very best PSP games....Albeit with a far too weird storyline.

A Metal Gear game with a weird storyline? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I never got to actually play the Metal Gear PSP games so I looked up the storyline for Acid.

In 2016, a jumbo jet carrying Senator Hach, an important politician and likely future presidential candidate, is hijacked by terrorists. In exchange for the senator the terrorists demand from the United States government Pythagoras, a research project being conducted in the Moloni Republic in southern Africa. In efforts to identify these terrorists, the government begins an investigation of Pythagoras.

The Moloni government refuses to cooperate and work with the United States, saying that it doesn't want to interfere in its current affairs. In response, the US sends in a covert special forces team to investigate, but the team is obliterated by armed resistance. With no other options and time running out, the US government calls Solid Snake to infiltrate the laboratory, discover the nature of Pythagoras, and to rescue Senator Hach.

It better get whacky within because god dammit, that's no where near whacky enough to get my MGS fix.

3 hours ago, MadJack said:

On a related subject: cutscenes can indeed be too long. Why not take some of the stuff from the cutscene, and let me play it instead of watching your (albeit well made) short film?

Oh, I don't mind them, especially ones in the Mafia games, they are so well made. And you can pause them if you want. Now, I am playing a trial of that Wolfenstein game and I am enjoying the cutscenes but I would like to pause it so I can go for a piss.

21 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I never did hear such of a thing.

The NES one was probably normal. 

• 2 years later...

Replaying Saints Row 3 and it's far more fun to play than any recent GTA since at least San Andreas. In addition in terms of not having filler gameplay, I'd say it's even better than that, because at least it's collectibles are minimal and you get an ability to find them on the mini map. Mini games are way more fun too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I've only ever played Saints Row 4 but it was a blast. Janky as hell, but a perfectly cromulent Double A game. I don't know if I'd put it above GTAV, but I totally understand why someone would, it was certainly more 'fun'.

I do not want it to sound like I am talking down about Saints Row, but it always felt more arcadey to me. GTA felt more like a simulation.