Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

I never realized how cheap the AI is with my old copy of Trilogy but playing these arcade collection versions is killing me. It's fun but Jesus Christ is hard as hell even on easy. It makes me want to track down a Trilogy copy to play and see if it was just as cheap. I swear SNES and Gameboy MK wasn't as hard as this MKI either. 

Though, that has nothing to do with my graphics preference:P

23 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Honestly, ultra-violence is just not interesting anymore. There was a while where many titles marketed themselves for it, but nowadays they're fringey fringe with Mortal Kombat the only major franchise still doing stuff like that.

Also, classic MK might've had 'charm', but the gameplay was awful compared to other fighters on the market. The only thing MK had going for them was the controversy-factor with the 'ultra-realistic gore!' Take the violence out of the game, and you're left with a bog average game.

Even today, you can pretty much breeze your way through MK games by finding high-priority, low-recovery move and using that all the time.

Not moving Mortal Kombat away from that look would've killed dead before it was stagnating. That period of time just wasn't great in general for fighting games, shit became over saturated and when Netherrealms figured out that heavy stories and single player experiences could be interesting in the MK world if they didn't take themselves too seriously, they found the formula that worked for them.

• Like 1

Speaking of fighting games, I guess "BlazBlue and Guilty Gear > Street Fighter and MK" would be an unpopular opinion, so there's another one.

I don't do fighting games much anymore, but I preferred the Tekken series over the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games. 

Ran into a few players who used cheap tactics when playing Tekken games in the arcade (ie, spamming Law's bicycle kicks, or using Paul's Deathfist) a few times, and I'd make them regret it. I''d either drill them into the ground as Yoshimitsu, Hitman stance them to death as Lee, or combo them to death as King if they pulled that crap. (i'm undefeated against other players as Yoshimitsu, and only ever lost once as King.)

I'm undefeated as Sub-Zero in PVP between three games.

Because I avoid PVP like the plague and have only ever played against like 4 people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/18/2017 at 06:58, Santa with Benjles said:

Evil Zone is the greatest fighting game of all time.

There. I said it.

That's the most Fighting Game-y fighting game title I've heard since Melty Blood.

I love my oldest son, he’s a sweet and thoughtful little boy that wanted to surprise me with a game for Christmas. He picked out Crash Bandicoot because we could play it together and it was kid friendly. 

OH MY GOD I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME. This thing is the biggest piece of fucking trash ever. A potentially fun platform game is spoiled by being ridiculously hard, having poor controls, and just generally being the least user friendly gaming experience I’ve ever seen. 

But my kid likes it even if we can barely get through half a stage.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Christmas said:

I love my oldest son, he’s a sweet and thoughtful little boy that wanted to surprise me with a game for Christmas. He picked out Crash Bandicoot because we could play it together and it was kid friendly. 

OH MY GOD I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME. This thing is the biggest piece of fucking trash ever. A potentially fun platform game is spoiled by being ridiculously hard, having poor controls, and just generally being the least user friendly gaming experience I’ve ever seen. 

Its in reverse storywise, but try starting with Crash 3. It's still good, but much easier.

3 hours ago, Christmas said:

Try to track down Crash 2 or Crash 3, unless you have a PS4 in which case shoot for the N Sane Trilogy, which fixes half the issues with Crash 1 and includes 2 and 3.

While the original Crash trilogy is my childhood and I love it, OG Crash 1 is the drizzling shits. 2 and 3 do everything better.

• Like 1

I haven't played the remastered version of Crash Bandicoot, but I have watched some of the levels on Youtube. One thing I think it lacks is the atmosphere from the original, which had some brilliantly dark, shadowy levels for a 1996 game. The new version looks a little too colourful and cartoon-like for my tastes. Even though that was the way the second and third games ended up drifting towards, the first game carried a sinister undertone beneath its wackiness.

9 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I loved Crash 1. Completed it on PS1 and PSP. I hear the controls are different for the PS4 version (using the 2 and 3 controls) which makes some of the Crash 1 levels horribly difficult.

Actually, I know the levels you're talking about, and that's not an inherent controls issue with Crash 1. All three of the games use one new, unified physics engine which is the cause of the issues in all three games. Especially introducing jump sensitivity and the new hitbox (Which is now a pill instead of a circle) to Crash 1 levels where the level design is not made or adjusted to it.

I love the original Crash 1 and have 100%'d it several times on virtually every console it's been put out on, even if I think it's objectively horrid from a design standpoint. Once you take some time to adjust and learn the physics of the remakes, NST Crash 1 easily becomes the definitive Crash 1 even with its glaring flaws. Although that's not hard considering it adds a proper saving system, and changed the rules for getting clear gems. 

I'm just happy that the N Sane Trilogy fixed the horrible game over system, where you'd go back to the last save point (potentially like 4 or 5 levels before) if you lost all your lives. Perhaps it makes it a little easier, but only going back to the beginning of the level in the game stopped me from entirely rage quitting the game for the umpteenth time. I actually managed to make my way through all three games, which was nice. Now when do we get Crash Bash and CTR Remastered?

On 28/12/2017 at 16:56, VocalVomit said:

Bring these truthbombs on. Don't let those Bandicoot apologist tell you otherwise. Crash sucks!