EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2018: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2018:

(that's not a 2018 clip, I'm a fraud, I just like the song)

This year, the cutoff was 18 points on two ballots, which is actually a point higher than last year! Huh! Let's get to it.

ZYsF5C7.png

49 (tie). Mystery Science Theater 3000 (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #17)

heYEUuA.png

49 (tie). Friday Night Dinner (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

gNCxZMZ.png

47 (tie). Altered Carbon (18 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

lgiz0vw.png

47 (tie). Iron Fist (18 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #42)

8A1E5Uc.png

46. Luke Cage (19 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

JQHvZd2.png

45. The Haunting of Hill House (19 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2018: How much is our fake wig budget? Double it.

(also, the winner of Best New Character!)

• Like 5

If I'd finished watching the Haunting of Hill House a week or so earlier it would have finished quite high in my list. Thus, this list is already a fruad! Apologies @GoGo Yubari haha

I only just noticed that only like one show in that first batch isn't a Netflix show. There's just this endless churn with Netflix where it's so unbelievably easy to lose track of shows now, which is how the Altered Carbon thing happens.

Of the batch, the only one I've watched is Hill House, and only the first half, but that first half was good enough to get it onto my top fifteen. Between it and Hereditary it's been a good year for "creeping dread fueled by dysfunctional family ties" horror. Iron Fist and Luke Cage will get watched by me someday, a whole lot of things derailed my desire to watch the Netflix Marvel stuff and the fact that there's straight-up no rush anymore doesn't help. Releasing new seasons of three different Marvel Netflix shows in a six month span is honestly pretty brutal.

Altered Carbon is pretty good, though it suffers from the same problem a lot of Netflix (and specifically their Marvel) shows do in that the episode count should be tighter so there's less wheel spinning. 

I never got around to finishing the first season of Iron Fist and only got two episodes into Luke Cage season 2. I'll probably circle back at some point but there's just too much to watch.

Speaking of too much to watch, I also saw the first two episodes of Hill House and liked it but just got sidetracked with other things. 

I have no idea how other people do it, but they always manage to watch the next big thing on Netflix and I always seem way behind. Like the week Haunting of Hill House came out, everyone around me seemed to have watched it in the first four or five days, and they all discussing it while I am like an episode or two in just kills it for me. Where do people find the time to binge nowadays, it's impossible. 

On 02/01/2019 at 10:45, GoGo Yubari said:

Of the batch, the only one I've watched is Hill House

hahahahaha, what am I talking about, I saw MST3K. MST3K was good this year. Everyone should watch the Mac and Me episode in particular, what a weird fucking movie.

Anyway! Like last year, Best New Character was a thing! Turnout was about the same and, hilariously, the win is by the exact same margin as last time. STAYING THE COURSE. So congratulations to the winner that defied time, space, and the fact that technically her first appearance was in 2017...

Sqba5LW.gif

With three votes, Nora West-Allen (The Flash)! I guess shway is good? Is shway good?

tumblr_pgdiihzSCb1rp74xfo3_400.gif

noted.

Your Runner-Up: Shame "Shane Lizard" Wizard (Big Mouth) with two votes!

Second-Runners Up: Theo Crain (The Haunting of Hill House), Esme Squalor (A Series of Unfortunate Events), Tom Wamgsgans (Succession), Pickles (Bojack Horseman), Simone (The Good Place), and Graham O'Brien (Doctor Who) with one vote apiece.

Thanks to everyone who voted! On to this batch.

RP4cWxs.png

44. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (20 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #43)

xxJ2xM4.png

43. Arrow (21 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

9IP0msE.png

42. American Vandal (22 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

op1orBq.png

41. Orange is the New Black (22 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: Banksy doesn't have one of those! ... or have I?

• Like 1

I'm delighted Nora won, because honestly there's absolutely no way that character should work as well as she does and yet here we are. Jessica Parker Kennedy is just a delight in that role and has really enlivened a show I was not nearly as into before.

And now, the traditional six-show update due to ties early on.

uDHkFXc.png

39 (tie). The Deuce (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #18)

nnfuFVo.png

39 (tie). This Is Us (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #43)

sbCRBi6.png

38. Final Space (24 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Tq0gs95.png

37. Doctor Who (24 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #9)

pl2GQXR.png

36. Insecure (25 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #40)

EVRX8zz.png

35. Arrested Development (25 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: His neck is high. It makes me trust him. Good posture, bro.

Okay, that batch. I'm bummed that The Deuce's voterbase vanished on me. Season 2 was really good! Get back on the sleazy New York nightlife train, EWB! I watched a couple of the Doctor Whos from this year, Jodie Whittaker is very good but the episodes outside of the first one just seemed okay. I'd like to watch more but really think I should get back to my stupid plan of watching all the old Doctor Whos first, so I've got a whole lot of Jon Pertwee to get to. And the first half of Arrested Development season 5 (part 1) is the worst the show's ever been, but it bounced back a fair bit and hopefully it finishes strong whenever Netflix decides to release the rest of it. This half-season gambit is absolutely obnoxious and didn't do anyone any favors.

and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming

nspI6kQ.png

34. Succession (27 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

P71kcCW.png

33. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (27 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

HSZhJ5y.png

32. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (28 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

W3PAJqw.png

31. Santa Clarita Diet (28 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #22)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: Cool murder basement.

I actually still need to watch The Deuce. I started to watch it before last year's voting to try and get it in but then didn't watch more than the pilot. I liked it but got sidetracked. I will eventually get to it when I get HBO again (damn carriage dispute with Sling/Dish!). 

I never actually finished Jessica Jones S1 but always wanted to go back and watch that too. With Netflix canceling all things Marvel though I'll probably take my time. 

Succession is way too low but I also get why it would be a bit of a hard sell to some. It's really, really great though so more people should watch it!