EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2018: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Season 2 of the Deuce is something that's just waiting for me to get through (but seriously, there are tons of season 2's I need to finish, Westworld is still on the shelf as well 😕 ).

Jessica Jones season 2 was good at some parts, but just had a terrible villain. So much better shows on TV last year.

Basically there was a two-part thing that killed Netflix Marvel for me. The first was that I thought the Punisher finished strong but was, a lot of the time, a chore with a lot of stuff that was just an absolute drag to watch. The second was that the first half of Jessica Jones S2 is really, really bad. It picks up after the big reveal but I've still not finished it, and the fact that I've not finished it has kept me from watching all the other stuff that's been cancelled now anyway.

so, speaking of. Haha. Funny story! I may have sort of accidentally copied and pasted Jessica Jones while tallying votes at one point where I meant to cut and paste, meaning it actually got more votes and I had it listed twice in the top 50. Which is why, suddenly, this is a Top 50 and the numbers have been adjusted. Or, in other words.

here's some more of the fifty and only fifty TV shows that made the list this year! Yup, clean 50. That's all there is!

OFMLltf.png

30. The Handmaid's Tale (29 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #14)

wHt1WZq.png

29. Castle Rock (30 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

JCbObGk.png

28. Homecoming (30 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

q7Rw1oI.png

26 (tie). Making a Murderer (31 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

upITY60.png

26 (tie). (they'll never stop) Supernatural (31 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #47)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 (!!!) TV Shows of 2018: Your inability to stop us from sucking is a failure of leadership.

• Like 1

I have been running this list for a decade now. Supernatural is the only show that has never failed to make it. Genuinely astonishing. also astonishing, how slow I'm going with this.

V7pLHMK.png

25. Silicon Valley (31 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #16)

5oetwZd.png

24. American Horror Story (32 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

zbpUrpe.png

23. Sharp Objects (33 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

m6aZIRk.png

22. Black Mirror (36 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

5N5DLGB.png

21. The Flash (38 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #31)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: Hitler painted! John Wayne Gacy painted. It’s a good, solid hobby.

• Like 1

Dammit, I forgot to vote this year! My bad...

On 02/01/2019 at 03:47, DFF said:

If I'd finished watching the Haunting of Hill House a week or so earlier it would have finished quite high in my list. Thus, this list is already a fruad! Apologies @GoGo Yubari haha

Most episodes of Haunting of Hill House would've ranked high for me.  I hated the last 2 episodes.  The last 2 episodes were basically "Oh, it turned into American Horror Story!"

On 09/01/2019 at 12:28, livid said:

Y'all sleeping on Homecoming!

And yeah, will Supernatural ever die!?

In the far future, the Sun will burn out.  Earth will be a frozen chunk with no life on it.  Yet one thing will happen.  Supernatural will be renewed for a new season

• Like 2

definitely a picture nobody's seen as of yet coming up

flsRc8p.png

20. Jessica Jones (39 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

vdxNee8.png

19. Killing Eve (41 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

dNyaqdf.png

18. Maniac (44 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

aLAuive.png

17. Last Week Tonight (44 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #28)

LNR1HN2.png

15 (tie). My Hero Academia (45 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #33)

MNGcNNI.png

15 (tie). Barry (45 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: I was just thinking about everyone who has ever said that victory felt empty when it was attained. What a bunch of idiots they were.

• Like 2

good news! If there's a show you really love and you haven't seen its name as of yet, and still don't see it at the end of this post, it probably made the top ten! Or you just liked a show a lot that nobody else watched. One or the other.

iJtjctK.png

14. Star Trek Discovery (47 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #47)

iqHJqvr.png

13. Daredevil (49 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

x16BwD7.png

12. A Series of Unfortunate Events (50 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

tpkNVEo.png

11. Taskmaster (56 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #15)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: I'd say it's nice to meet you, but, I don't believe in time as, like... a concept. So, I'll just say we always met.

• Like 2

On 11/01/2019 at 02:33, Lint said:

In the far future, the Sun will burn out.  Earth will be a frozen chunk with no life on it.  Yet one thing will happen.  Supernatural will be renewed for a new season

It’s kinda crazy to think that Supernatural’s been around for so long that it debuted on the WB.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2019 at 22:51, K said:

Is this real? 47 is a running joke in star trek.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/47

Hey, I don't do silly fun-time goofs with the presentation of this list! It's all real and all accurate! A thoroughly serious, never gimmicky presentation of the shows and their placements that I will always adhere to, certainly for the duration of this post!

here's the start of your top ten.

122spEv.png

10. Big Mouth (58 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #32)

gG8eV1L.png

9. Custodians of the Chronology

Sirens of Spacetime

... Puppets of Tomorrow?

Legends of Tomorrow (65 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

q7KEBH4.png

8. Agents of SHIELD (73 points, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: #10)

zCqN3t5.png

7. Atlanta (74 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018: God damn it! Once again, my life has been worsened by a brush with musical theatre.

• Like 4

Legends jumping into the top 10 after being unranked last year is a huge boost.  IF I remembered to vote, Legends probably would've been #1 for me

I have never even heard of Legends of Tomorrow.

Excited to see Agents of Shield so high. I have been working my way through the Marvel TV series. Currently on Season 2. I feel like it's not great and I have been slugging through it a bit. Good to know people think highly of it. 

1 minute ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Excited to see Agents of Shield so high. I have been working my way through the Marvel TV series. Currently on Season 2. I feel like it's not great and I have been slugging through it a bit. Good to know people think highly of it. 

It's in the same TV Universe as Arrow, Flash and Supergirl.  First season was a bit naff, but it fully embraced its utter cheese after that and is generally really entertaining now. 

• Like 1

Yay Big Mouth! Yay Atlanta! They should be higher but I'll take Top 10. 

Daredevil was great so it making the Top 15 is fine too. Barry should be a tad higher, though. 

I am actually just starting to finally catch up on this S4 of Legends of Tomorrow. It probably would have been higher on my list had I gotten to it sooner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

IIRC season two, especially towards the end, was when I felt like the show really hit its stride!

• Like 1

Legends of Tomorrow's 2018 in a nutshell:

There has never been an idea that's so gleefully dumb that the Legends of Tomorrow writers room would pass up on it. When one of their main characters' story had clearly ended and there was no justifiable way to keep her on the show, their solution was...

Spoiler

to recast her so she's now playing a shapeshifter stuck in the form of the old member of the team she used to play, and also the shapeshifter was in a punk band in the 1970s who was trying to upend the British monarchy before she was basically forced to join the team.

Also, Atlanta was the best show of last year for me, only one other show that's yet to appear in this list comes close. Aside from maybe Legends, no other show made me go "okay, what is this show going to be this week?" because Atlanta is so fantastic at switching gears from week to week that the episodes ranged from a more or less standard comedy about the music industry to compelling relationship drama to straight-up black comedy horror. Incredible.

I really need to watch Atlanta.

"So, life began because a giant alien had sex with the earth? I dunno, that sounds like Scientology."
"Yep, of all of them they got the closest!"

Big Mouth is great and I wish it placed higher but I'll accept a top 10. 

"You are truly.. an enigma."
"You're not supposed to say that word anymore!"

• Like 1