Hot Takes, but about SPORTS!

Schlitzbrille

Just now, MDK said:

I have done but I never know when it is on. I remember when they did Formula A or something but that died a death.

I think Formula E is right up your alley, so to speak.

Do you mean the A1 GP?  Where everyone represented their nation?

Just now, Rich said:

Do you mean the A1 GP?  Where everyone represented their nation? 

I think so, for some reason I thought they all had equal cars and had a Maro Kart style speed boost when they wanted to use it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MDK said:

I think so, for some reason I thought they all had equal cars and had a Maro Kart style speed boost when they wanted to use it.

I think so, this is also done in Formula E, and the fans decide who gets the boost, which I find really fun.

1 minute ago, MexicoJack said:

Then why do teammates not have comparable results in a lot of instances?

Team orders and exploding engines.

Just now, Rich said:

I think so, this is also done in Formula E, and the fans decide who gets the boost, which I find really fun.

Such a silly idea that I wholeheartedly approve of.

• Like 1

There are actually two different types of boosts in the Formula E.

One is the fanboost, in which a handful of drivers that the fans chose get a singular power boost to use during the race. I'm not a big fan of this because it definitely advantages only a handful of drivers that have big fanbases (e.g. Felipe Massa, who iirc has gotten a boost every single race this season), fortunately it's not a slam dunk to win.

There's also hyperboost, or 'Mario Kart' mode that they debuted this year. Where drivers go off the line through a small timing section that gives them an extra and very powerful boost. They have two of those, and they *must* use them up at some point in the race. And this definitely adds a lot of excitement around the end of races and safety car restarts as you'll have various strategies with some drivers choosing to take it and get that advantage, and some letting themselves get overtaken but focussing on using it later on in the race to make a bigger jump when other drivers might need to save power because they were too aggressive early on.

• 1 year later...

I disagree with the former in that I don’t think it is more interesting. Finding out who has the skill set to dethrone Khabib is fascinating. For years Tony Ferguson was seen as the guy - then Justin Gaetje handles him. Then Khabib does what he does to Justin. Then you’ve got the likes of Charles Oliveira posing a whole new puzzle to be solved, emerging at the right time.

That being said, I respect his decision to retire, and the reasons behind it. Quite frankly, I find it disgusting that Dana is publicly pressuring him into coming back, it should be his decision as and when he is ready, if at all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cymbols said:

I disagree with the former in that I don’t think it is more interesting. Finding out who has the skill set to dethrone Khabib is fascinating. For years Tony Ferguson was seen as the guy - then Justin Gaetje handles him. Then Khabib does what he does to Justin. Then you’ve got the likes of Charles Oliveira posing a whole new puzzle to be solved, emerging at the right time.

The thing with this is that I don't think there's anyone in the division currently with the skills to topple him. Maybe Charles Oliveira can upset him? Maybe Michael Chandler is that step above the rest of the division and that's why he's coming in at the top of the division essentially?

But outside of those two questions there's really nothing interesting about a lightweight division with Khabib that isn't made more interesting without him - with no Khabib lightweight is arguably the most competitive division going right now, and even the likes of Tony Ferguson I wouldn't count out because despite his recent losses, he's still a contender on his day.