Anime Thread 2021

Monkey D. Lars

End of Eva really is just a "Fuck You" to the people that complained about the show's ending.

"Oh, you don't like my happy ending where the main character finally gets over his issues and is celebrated for it? You're more interested in a plot resolution? Well here's your fuckin plot resolution, your avatar into this world jerks off over a lifeless anime girl just like you, you sicko and then everyone suffers and the world dies. The end. Should have took the damn happy ending."

12 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Hellooooo why isn’t One Piece available on funimation in the UK?

Isn't it available through Crunchy? I can't watch it in Holland at all without pirating it.

Season 4 of Attack on Titan just keeps giving and giving. So many amazing episodes back to back. If this seasons is finished I will rewatch the entire show just to watch everything in a shorter period of time. 

20 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Isn't it available through Crunchy? I can't watch it in Holland at all without pirating it.

Season 4 of Attack on Titan just keeps giving and giving. So many amazing episodes back to back. If this seasons is finished I will rewatch the entire show just to watch everything in a shorter period of time. 

I only have funimation atm as Crunchyroll wasn’t throwing anything up for me at the time, but I’ll have to look. I’m a dub loser though 

• 2 weeks later...

So the Black Clover anime will be ending at episode 170 in about 8 weeks, march 30th. I will miss it, they are saying they'll have a big announcement following that episode. Hopefully they'll announce that it will go seasonal. Won't mind that at all. Or that they are taking a break because of a movie.

Again the Spade Kingdom arc that is going on now in the anime is epic. 

Is anyone here watching "Wave!! Surfing Yappe!!"? If so, could someone explain to me what hell just happened in Episode 5?

Spoiler

They actually went ahead and had Sho commit suicide? And that scene of his surfboard during the storm in the last episode is the only confirmation we get of that? No announcement of his death, no funeral and not showing anyone actually grieving? Not even in flashback? And they don't even explain to us why Sho killed himself? No explanation about the text message he received last episode?

Just a time-skip to months after his death and everybody except Masaki acts like he never existed? I got the impression that the guy running the surf-shop seemed to be annoyed that Masaki was still grieving. Then Masaki also tries to commit suicide in the ocean in the middle of the night, he gets saved by Nalu who tells him that he is also grieving but continued surfing because that is what Sho would have wanted him to do. And then all the other surfers they know show up for no explained reason, they have a bit of a midnight tribute surf session for Sho, everybody is healed through the magic of surfing and that is Sho's death dealt with in half an episode. 

No, seriously, that is it. That is all we get regarding Sho. There is another time-skip to when Masaki graduates middle school. He moves to Shōnan region to attend high school. The episode ends with him surfing at a beach there. 

I don't even have a problem with Sho dying. It is the half-hearted way they handled his death that upsets me. He is a major character and they can't even dedicate an entire episode to his death? And the pacing of this episode is all over the place as well. I really hope that we will at least get to learn about Sho's motive for killing himself in future episodes.

Edited by Hellraiser

I haven't seen it but looking around at discussions about it online, it seems like pretty much everyone's in the same boat you are.

This is just a bizarre way of handling a situation like that. They are so vague about the entire thing and everything happens so fast. It felt like they accidentally skipped an episode. And this whole thing came completely out of the blue as well. I thought this was going to be a fun, light-hearted anime about surfing and then they suddenly drop a bombshell like this. I really hope that this isn't the last we hear about that character. 

Edited by Hellraiser

On 18/01/2021 at 09:24, Monkey D. Lars said:

Anyone else watching the final season of AoT? It is so damn great. The build up of the first couple of episodes to this? Can't wait for next week. 

I'm curious how the timing for it works with the manga ending in April or May (I think May) and the anime supposed to end before that. Wonder if there will be a final season part 2.

On 02/02/2021 at 10:07, Monkey D. Lars said:

So the Black Clover anime will be ending at episode 170 in about 8 weeks, march 30th. I will miss it, they are saying they'll have a big announcement following that episode. Hopefully they'll announce that it will go seasonal. Won't mind that at all. Or that they are taking a break because of a movie.

Again the Spade Kingdom arc that is going on now in the anime is epic. 

Guesses are that it'll return to TV at some point. Maybe Mugen Train opened the floodgates of people trying to continue a TV anime on the big screen, but Black Clover doesn't feel like a candidate for that as some other shows might.

• 1 month later...

I just watched the 2nd MHA movie.

Spoiler

Pretty great. I imagine it was amazing to See in the theater. The villains were kinda lame though. Not in design or powers but the backstory was super weak and generic. Especially when you compare his idea of a perfect world with the hero killer's vision.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

The Promised Neverland season 2 was so horrible, skipping so much from the manga (showing it to us in a slide show so horrible at the end), it skipped plot points of season 2 and ended so horribly. What a shitshow. 

I haven't watched it (fortunately I read the manga) but when I was about to start it I found out they were skipping a really great arc and got an ominous feeling. Sounds like it never picked up from there.

The manga itself doesn't reach the lofty heights of what got adapted in season one but it's certainly a much better way to see the story unfold than the anime adaptation for season two from the sounds of it.

On 26/03/2021 at 14:45, damshow said:

I haven't watched it (fortunately I read the manga) but when I was about to start it I found out they were skipping a really great arc and got an ominous feeling. Sounds like it never picked up from there.

The manga itself doesn't reach the lofty heights of what got adapted in season one but it's certainly a much better way to see the story unfold than the anime adaptation for season two from the sounds of it.

I can't recommend the anime after how they butchered season 2.

In other sad news, the Black Clover anime is over. The saved the best episode for last and announced a movie. Hopefully the anime will return one day. Black Clover started out so damn slow but I'm so happy I stuck with it. I can recommend it!

I never picked up Black Clover largely because it got a lot of criticism early on, probably due to the slow start. If I recall it took the manga something like a year or two to really get going, which in modern Shonen Jump is pretty unheard of. I think the magazine wound up placing a ton of faith in where it was headed and what the long-term plan was. It has the feel now of a title that might be in the magazine for a decade or more. Hard to call it part of a new "Big Three" with MHA and One Piece but I have a hunch it'll be a magazine staple for as long as Yuki Tabata wants to keep writing it. 

This is to say I suspect the TV anime will come back in a couple years in maybe the same, nice timeslot after whatever's replacing it runs its course. What is replacing it in any case? Not a lot of anime get committments for a 6:30pm slot on a weekday.

• Like 1

Just read the final chapter of Attack on Titan

Spoiler

I don't hate it like a lot readers do but the final 7-8 chapters were definitely rushed and even then managed to waste a couple whole chapters on things that didn't overwhelmingly belong. 

I understand using the Lelouch "I did it all to save my friends and humanity" rationale but my god please show it as being as misguided as it sounds.

End of the day it's pretty clear that his core character theme throughout, of the unbreakable bond between Eren, Mikasa, and Armin (not to mention the huge cast of side characters and their own bonds) ran headfirst into his overarching final conflict about the end result of the ever-increasing strength of weapons of war and what happens to the children you drop into conflicts that predate them. Hard to provide a satisfying ending for the first part without handwaving away a lot of the second part.

Anyway, 80% of humanity is apparently dead and it was necessary to finally end the terror of the titans for good. It's extremely pessimistic so if you told me that the editors pushed Isayama to leave everything character-related on a high note I'd fully believe it. Get the vibe his original final chapter idea was a little more bleak.

And I guess the story isn't really over since he set up some spin-off and a sequel series if he wants to return to this world. But he's so rich now that he never has to do anything ever again. So we'll see.

• Like 1