Anime Thread 2021

Monkey D. Lars

Finished watching Season 3 of Psycho-Pass last night, now I just have to watch First Inspector to get fully caught up.

This anime isn't perfect, and it's a lot of 'trying to seem smart' going on, but I must say it's one of my most favourite animes i've watched in a long time. Season 2 was a low and got me questioning whether to continue, but the movie + three minimovies between S2/S3 brought me right back, and then season 3 just continued keeping me hooked and feeling closer to the extreme high point that season 1 was.

It's not as good as GITS(:SAC) was (Although S1 is definitely up there), but it's the only sci-fi anime that has hit in the same way for me.

I hope there will be more after this.

I like it. Mustafa Shakir is a fantastic vocal match for Beau Billingsley's performance as Jet, and both John Cho and Daniella Pineda seem like they won't be too hard to adjust to as Spike and Faye. More importantly there's definitely a real statement of intent that this show will in fact have a sense of style. I don't expect them to stick to the bar stuff in the show itself but I thought it was a pretty fun gimmick for this teaser. Interesting that it's all music from the original, though, I'm hoping and rooting for some dope new compositions from Kanno et al.

I know for a lot of people in our content landscape not changing the source material at all is paramount, but count me in as someone who wants them to do something new and expansive. It just doesn't seem like there's any attempt to do that and it's much more a straight live action adaptation of something I've seen before. I'd have rather they keep some core themes and then go in their own direction with them.

Maybe if I hadn't seen Cowboy Bebop before but heard of it I'd be a lot more intrigued and maybe that's who this is for. People who've heard it was good but were put off by it being "a cartoon". Idk.

Chris Ayres passed away. Probably best known as the English VA for Frieza for 10 years in Dragon Ball Kai, and then again for a short spell on Dragon Ball Super.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

I read a couple other reviews that were... less kind. There's a lot that gives me the sense there's a pervasive embarrassment from the producers that their source is "a cartoon". Also, less said about the insistence of adapting something that would require a massive CG effort and then giving it less than that the better. But that's par for the course for Netflix. They can't even get wigs right.

I saw Alan Sepinwall (of Rolling Stone and generally one of the more high profile TV critics) liked it. Mixed feelings.

I kind of wonder if this might end up being a Speed Racer deal where you either really love it or really hate it. Very much at the point where I don't really care to see another second of footage or read a single review and just see how I feel about it when it drops.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I saw Alan Sepinwall (of Rolling Stone and generally one of the more high profile TV critics) liked it. Mixed feelings.

I kind of wonder if this might end up being a Speed Racer deal where you either really love it or really hate it. Very much at the point where I don't really care to see another second of footage or read a single review and just see how I feel about it when it drops.

Speed Racer is great! 

Watched the first episode, simultaneously liked what it was going for and was frequently torn on its execution. Agree with Ruki that I'm really into Mustafa Shakir's Jet Black and not into Daniella Pineda's Faye Valentine, though that's more the fault of the writing than the acting. I was in favor of changing the outfit to something that would look super-tacky in live action but I think where sometimes I think they're overfaithful to the source in the execution they've gone on their own, not-great path there.

Their Vicious also just looks and comes off like a cosplayer to me, like I have met that guy at a SakuraCon and he's unbearable.

18 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Watched the first episode, simultaneously liked what it was going for and was frequently torn on its execution. Agree with Ruki that I'm really into Mustafa Shakir's Jet Black and not into Daniella Pineda's Faye Valentine, though that's more the fault of the writing than the acting. I was in favor of changing the outfit to something that would look super-tacky in live action but I think where sometimes I think they're overfaithful to the source in the execution they've gone on their own, not-great path there.

Their Vicious also just looks and comes off like a cosplayer to me, like I have met that guy at a SakuraCon and he's unbearable.

Oh my god, yes. This is the best description. 

3 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

Oh my god, yes. This is the best description. 

Very much the type of guy who also has a Vash the Stampede costume he's gonna bust out on Sunday and it's going to absolutely suck.

10 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Is the "season" supposed to be the entire anime or will their be more?

Can't really answer this, my guess is I will be watching this at a very slow pace and not really looking for any specific details. The first episode was basically the first episode of the anime but with more stuff added, mostly stuff that's adding the kind of things you'd expect from an hour-long, more serialized version of the story (like establishing some background information about Jet that you don't see until deep into the anime). But I don't think Netflix makes any shows with the intent of keeping them stand-alone if they take off (see: Squid Game, which is now confirmed to be trying to figure a second season out) so I'd be surprised if they ended this how the anime ended.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1