Anime Thread 2021

Monkey D. Lars

The Way of the Househusband is, no exaggeration, a colorized manga with audio. It's frame-for-frame with little if any animation. Good thing it's absolutely hilarious but what a massive disappointment as an adaptation. Feel like it definitely had production issues and the director tried to make up for it by calling the lack of animation a "stylistic choice".

But, if you don't want to buy/read then watch this anyway because it is that funny.

• 1 month later...

Want to discuss One Punch Man? Is Attack on Titan a great anime? What anime should I watch next? 

This is your thread to discuss everything anime in 2021. 

13 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

How dare you close that super long thread I started?!

Power hath corrupted this once pure boy. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

So there is an annual event in Japan called DigiFes that celebrates everything Digimon. This years edition of the event, which took place a few days ago, was all about the 20th anniversary of Digimon Tamers. During the event a script by Chiaki J. Konaka, the main writer of Tamers, was performed by the original voice actors of the show. Sounds cool so far, right? Well, as it turns out Konaka didn't write a regular Digimon script. In this script, the Tamers and their Digimon were fighting the big bad "Political Correctness" who was using devastating attacks such as "Cancel Culture". I'm not making this up. It really happened. The original voice actors read this bizarre script live on stage in front of an audience: 

And I'm sitting here wondering how the hell this got approved and how they convinced the voice actors to read this.

Edited by Hellraiser

Not a shock exactly for Chiaki J. Konaka to have gone off the deep end. Disappointing, but not a shock. He's been basically super quiet for a decade now and it appears in that time drowned himself in terrible information online. I guess when you explore the themes you do in Lain or Texhnolyze you are perhaps a bit more susceptible to falling into the misinformation trap.

Some fans have pointed to his apparent descent into fringe theories as being reminiscent of Frank Miller. Possibly harsh, because while usually someone complaining about "cancel culture" has some worse opinions than that it's not a guarantee he's turned into a far-right bigot like Miller did.

This entire script for Digimon Tamers is utterly bizarre regardless. I'd be upset were I a fan to have an old man yells at cloud script reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not sure of the necessity since you can visually do a lot more with animation than you can live-action, so this might look kind of dull when held up against the original. Also their narrative approach is going to be much less focused on being episodic and instead be that 8-hour movie Netflix loves to make. Considering the very best part of Bebop are the different worlds and villains we got every episode it's kind of like they're missing the overall point.

But ready to be surprised since there's a lot of good talent working on this.

• Like 2

If the soundtrack is good I don't really care that deeply if the show itself is good or not. It being good would be the icing on the cake, though. Really like how Mustafa Shakir looks as Jet. John Cho looks too old for Spike IMO but otherwise seems like a solid casting choice (though having seen Warrior now I wish it were Andrew Koji in the part, he would have killed it). Smart decision to not go too faithful with Faye's outfit given the time period and the medium, though it'll take some getting used to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Netflix dub for Neon Genesis Evangelion is fucking trash. I only say that as someone who watches almost everything with subtitles on - if I didn't do that, I wouldn't even care honestly.

1 hour ago, tristy said:

The Netflix dub for Neon Genesis Evangelion is fucking trash. I only say that as someone who watches almost everything with subtitles on - if I didn't do that, I wouldn't even care honestly.

Yeah when they announced the blu-ray Eva releases there were a ton of people very happy the old ADV dub was included. Netflix has very apparent translation issues, their subtitles themselves are okay but sometimes too localized. However when it comes to dubbing they're miles behind competitors.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m getting the blu-ray for sure when it comes out next month. I’m probably gonna pay way too much on eBay for the extra shit from the higher tier versions, because I’m a dumb fanboy.

1 hour ago, tristy said:

Yeah I’m getting the blu-ray for sure when it comes out next month. I’m probably gonna pay way too much on eBay for the extra shit from the higher tier versions, because I’m a dumb fanboy.

Yeah I pre-ordered the special edition that wasn't the limited edition, forget the exact name. $175 all told, but I'll be happy to have it.