Elden Ring

Maxx

From Software’s latest game is getting hailed as a masterpiece, Dark Souls x Breath of the Wild essentially.

Sounds like it’s a large enough game with enough secrets to merit its own thread, so we can share stories 

• Thanks 1

I'll be jumping in from the off which is a little unusual in the realm of Soulsborne for me. I'm normally a few years behind on these things (still need to play DS3 and Sekiro) but I figured I'd get in whilst it's fresh for all the initial intrigue/speculation etc. Plus it means I won't have the temptation of looking at any wikis.

That’s been the one thing I saw in reviews that bothers me.  I started playing Divinity 2 and it’s quest log/journal isn’t very intuitive or informative…and Elden Ring sounds like a step down from that.

I love the idea of the game but it being Souls-esque basically counts me out because much like Ruki said about himself, I'm quite shit at those types of games. I get frustrated way too easily and it just isn't fun for me. The rest of the RPG style game of it does make me want to play but I just think it would be a waste of money. I'll probably watch some people play it on twitch.

The lack of a traditional quest log would be in keeping with the style of the series, like going back to Dark Souls you do have 'quests' of sorts with the likes of Solaire and Siggy but it's never done in that hand holding, map marker, 'go here and do this' way.  But, whilst I don't really know anything on Elden Ring, if it is evolving into this broader RPG that the preview/review talk I have seen seems to alude to, it is a little quizzical to not have those same QoL features that you would expect in other similar titles, especially if there are more things to do, side quests etc. But I guess FromSoft/Miyazaki don't want to stray too far from their style.

All the hype has me excited but I feel like even if it is a masterpiece like everyone is saying I would be wasting my money. I need games to kind of hold my hand and guide me through and this sounds like the exact opposite of that. I can play a game on easy mode and have fun and pretend I'm just really good but that is not the way of From Software :( 

I've never played a Soulsbourne before and had this marked as the first one I'd play. Not particularly worried about difficulty as I typically set games to the hardest difficulty. Felt I'd wait a while but the initial wave of praise makes me feel like it's worth not missing out on. Birthday is in a month so I'll likely have it by then.

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

All the hype has me excited but I feel like even if it is a masterpiece like everyone is saying I would be wasting my money. I need games to kind of hold my hand and guide me through and this sounds like the exact opposite of that. I can play a game on easy mode and have fun and pretend I'm just really good but that is not the way of From Software :( 

I'm in the same position. It feels like a big party that I'm not invited to.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I've never played a Soulsbourne before and had this marked as the first one I'd play. Not particularly worried about difficulty as I typically set games to the hardest difficulty. Felt I'd wait a while but the initial wave of praise makes me feel like it's worth not missing out on. Birthday is in a month so I'll likely have it by then.

And now I eagerly await hearing of enemy damshow's frustrations!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, rocksta said:

Never played a Souls Game but I am enjoying it so far. 

Messed around far too long with a boss I am under leveled for but finally beat him. Very rewarding. 

Just getting the feel for everything. Didn't realize you wanted to smash the golden skulls at first..so a lot left behind

...and just now I have realized that you want to smash golden skulls.  You should tell all the people that don't know about it why they should do it.

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

...and just now I have realized that you want to smash golden skulls.  You should tell all the people that don't know about it why they should do it.

Spoiler

not sure if this is sarcasm as I know people are uptight about spoilers in this game..wouldn't consider this one

Kept trying to pick them up - nothing. You smash them = runes to level up 

2 minutes ago, rocksta said:
  Hide contents

not sure if this is sarcasm as I know people are uptight about spoilers in this game..wouldn't consider this one

Kept trying to pick them up - nothing. You smash them = runes to level up 

I figured they had to have some kind of purpose considering they are all over the place, never thought about smashing them though.

What class did you start out with? 

Also, glad to see you popping up on here again :)

56 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I figured they had to have some kind of purpose considering they are all over the place, never thought about smashing them though.

What class did you start out with? 

Also, glad to see you popping up on here again :)

Yah I saw it in a no spoilers beginners guide. At least I am not too too deep.

I started w Vagabound enjoying melee but feel some what-ifs on trying magic. What about you? 

& yup good to be around we should get some co-op in at some point. How far are you in?