Games We Complete In 2023

RPS

I played through The Quarry on Playstation Plus. It's utter B-movie rubbish, but that's largely by design. Just like Until Dawn, it's an experience in which you make seemingly arbitrary decisions that either save a Scooby gang of clots or cause them to die horrifically.

The general plot is entirely predictable, thanks in no small part to the fact that it pulls many of the same clichéd tricks as Until Dawn did. As noted before, though, there's usually no reliable way to determine what outcome your choices have, which is something that makes a first playthrough more interesting. I never really gave a toss whether my characters lived or not, which is either a poor indictment of the writers' ability to engage me or a possibly dubious reflection of how successful their irritating dialogue was.

What I did appreciate was that the game had far fewer walking and exploration sections than its predecessors. Games like this have long been plagued with poor controls and tedious "Click on the glowing thing and get a flippant remark" mechanics, and The Quarry only pulls them out once in a while. Naturally, appreciating a game for having less gameplay is rather a case of damning it with faint praise, but the sooner these things either stop controlling like operating a tank in quicksand or just commit to becoming interactive films, the better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed God of War, clearing the deck for Ragnarok. When I say completed, I killed the end boss of the story....I only actually completed 28% of the game, which is pretty crazy really. Might go back and do some more when I find the time.

• Like 3

I finished it two weeks ago but I still haven't started anything new, my head keeps telling me I need to go and finish all the valkyries, despite knowing I have to beat that "don't get hit" Muspelheim challenge. I think I have a problem...

I was a Teenage Exocolonist it's like a card game/visual novel and I enjoyed it. Like there is strategy there but not so much that I get overwhelmed which is good for me when it comes to games. It's like a time loop thing too so I guess I've actually technically finished it twice now. I want to keep going and see everything but apparently there are 30 endings so I doubt that's going to happen :lol: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Completed Fuga 2! Once again, got the neutral ending, because I didn't realize you needed to befriend a certain character with all the other characters. It lets you re-try the game from chapter 7 to get the true ending, but I can't be bothered to do that when I have Zelda and Final Fantasy to play!

• Haha 1

I cant even think of any games I finished this year. I think I did God of War in January then everything is a blur (WWE2K was in there somewhere) until I Platinumed Dead Island 2. I am only 94% complete in the game but those challenges are just a grind.
I really need to start Hogwarts and hope to at least get well into it before Fight Forever drops. and the Ragnarok needs to be started.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

The Big Con it's like a retro 90's thing where you have to become a con artist to save your Mom's video store. It was good fun and it's on Game Pass now! I paid like $5 for it and was glad I did.

I have that downloaded! 

Just beat Tales of Arise and it really was the adult version of DQ11 for me, right down to the multiple false finishes like I was watching an old DIY/Revival match. 

The gameplay was the weakest part but once I switched to playing as the mage that area wasn't quite as lacking. 

• Like 2

I beat Final Fantasy II for the first time! I definitely over leveled and took most of the challenge out of the game by accident. I also accidentally screwed my plan of casting Haste and Berserk on Guy, by also casting Wall. Didn't realize it stopped buffs. Thankfully Firion had the Blood Sword.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2023 at 17:14, Your Mom said:

The Big Con it's like a retro 90's thing where you have to become a con artist to save your Mom's video store. It was good fun and it's on Game Pass now! I paid like $5 for it and was glad I did.

I just beat this too in about one slow work shift. The story/setting/style was all really cool! The gameplay was good, but I kinda got bored of it the second time you went to Not-Las Vegas. Also, the most petty thing, I hate how there were multiple achievements that ended in a number that wasn't 5 or 0! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

I just beat this too in about one slow work shift. The story/setting/style was all really cool! The gameplay was good, but I kinda got bored of it the second time you went to Not-Las Vegas. Also, the most petty thing, I hate how there were multiple achievements that ended in a number that wasn't 5 or 0! 

I felt the same way about all of that especially the achievement thing! :angry: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed Horizon: Forbidden West on Sunday, minus some of the fiddlier side-quests - never finished every fight pit, hunting ground or Strike game, never found all of the God of War statue things, did everything else.

The story was weaker than the original, though I enjoyed most of the game and the characters, aside from a few times it dragged with repetitive side-quests. It did the very gaming thing of giving you a new ability right at the end, long after it would be particularly useful. The story kind of peters out at the end, reliant on an awful lot of exposition, though I think the original did the same too, albeit with less obvious sequel bait. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Completed Horizon: Forbidden West on Sunday, minus some of the fiddlier side-quests - never finished every fight pit, hunting ground or Strike game, never found all of the God of War statue things, did everything else.

The story was weaker than the original, though I enjoyed most of the game and the characters, aside from a few times it dragged with repetitive side-quests. It did the very gaming thing of giving you a new ability right at the end, long after it would be particularly useful. The story kind of peters out at the end, reliant on an awful lot of exposition, though I think the original did the same too, albeit with less obvious sequel bait. 

Yeah I felt the last act few main story quests were all firmly in that storytelling category of using the climax to just set the stage for the sequel.

I definitely felt, and I think I mentioned it here, that they just poured so much extra shit into the game. A lot of the side quests were actually good fun (rebel camps and outposts especially), but also some of the collectable pieces of it ofen completely dragged with minimal reward. It was easy to lose myself in it for hours at a time, and both games have been very polished. Hoping the 3rd one does make some changes in the world design so it doesn't feel repetitive.

Also - still have to play the DLC at some point. I saw some scuttlebutt about a second DLC as well?

• Like 2