Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

As a body for depth. I don't mind a cheap stopgap signing. 

If this ends up being our main defensive type midfield signing then fuck me whoever thought a temporary stop gap director was a good idea needs slapping. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

As a body for depth. I don't mind a cheap stopgap signing. 

If this ends up being our main defensive type midfield signing then fuck me whoever thought a temporary stop gap director was a good idea needs slapping. 

Im getting Ragnar Klavan vibes

15 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Im getting Ragnar Klavan vibes

If he can do his version of the Klavan turn he's won me over

The reactions to signings like Endo that kinda make me tune out of transfers for the most part. Along with not really watching much football and not playing up to date FM or FIFA (both of which have probably impacted how supporters, especially younger ones, view transfers in a way)

There's a lot of instant gratification in required in transfer for a fan.The online discourse loves tremendous overspending or signing kids to later sell for tremendous large amounts. All with the idea that the only way to sign players is spend big and buy current or future global stars. Which in turn egged on by the news infrastructure around it.

Sometimes you just sign a guy to a job. Sometimes there aren't a lot of players available in the postion you want. Sometimes Chelsea have spent 200 million on getting two you could've signed because they're tossing around money in a way I'd hope comes back to bite all football as a whole one day because its not sustainable.

Its not very unlike Klopp's liverpool to go and just get a guy in for a bit: Steven Caulker, Ozan Kabak, Ragnar Klavan, Ben Davies not to mention signing Andy Lonergan and Alex Manninger as back up keepers.

Sometimes they just bring in a guy to fill a gap. Sometimes you sign aging midfielders like James Milner or Gary McAllister and they're some of the best signings you make.

• Like 3

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Dimitri Payet who's now 36 signed with Vasco da Gama in Brasil in a random FM-like transfer. I just saw a video of his arrival and it's quite impressive. He arrived Sunday at 6am! Apologies if this has been posted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Michael Olise has signed a new 4 year deal at Palace and won't be going to Chelsea (for now at least). Have to imagine that release clause is either bigger or gone now.

19 hours ago, Lineker said:

agreeing to sell Lewis Hall to Newcastle

Not happy about this. I'd much prefer to loan him out for a season and then see what the landscape looks like next summer, even if it means taking a loss on Cucurella if he ended up having another underwhelming season and Hall impressed.

Chilwell is obviously first choice but Colwill/Maatsen have proven they deserve a chance at providing cover, as well as well as offering more depth in other positions compared to Cucurella, who I can't see playing LCB in a back four given the depth available there. If they (or Cucurella) don't deliver, Hall is right there to fill the gap and still has development potential.

My thoughts on Hall are that, yes, while I would like him in the squad more than the likes of Cucurella, I don't see his path to meaningful involvement in our squad. This has a lot to do with the dumb luck of what his position(s) are and what other players are ahead of him in the squad. Even if we followed the standard pattern of a loan this year, then maybe next year, then etc... Every chance is that he'll still be faced with the "eh, maybe he can be in rotation somewhere" situation, which isn't good for his development or what he'd want when he could be getting consistent game time somewhere else.

Over time I've come to terms a bit with the reality that we can't hold on to every talented player who comes through our academy. There are so many of them, and circumstances often aren't right. We will hold on to most of the best, and the others will filter out into top-level football with other clubs, just like any club's academy products do. Get a bit of money for him (and a sell-on clause :shifty:), move on. Better than loaning until he refuses to sign a new contract and goes for virtually nil.

As for Cucurella, I expect him to be gone next summer. I'm still not sure whether Maatsen will be playing more at LB or RW in the short-term, but I'm much more confident of him growing into one of those roles than Cucu ever proving himself.